Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been scrolling through the - seemingly endless - list of Garter recipients, and it turns out that William of Wales is the thousandth Knight of the Garter.

Just a pity that so few women have received this honour.

I've just been scrolling through the - seemingly endless - list of Garter recipients, and it turns out that William of Wales is the thousandth Knight of the Garter.

Just a pity that so few women have received this honour.

That was announced when he became a garter Knight, made the occasion extra special.

:previous: I'd love the see the expressions of Charles', William's and Edward's faces in reaction to the wives' smiles.

When or will Prince Harry be made a Knight of the Garter?

Probably only when his father is king.With William they wanted him to become the 1000.th knight, so they didn't wait.

Probably only when his father is king.With William they wanted him to become the 1000.th knight, so they didn't wait.

I thought about Prince Harry becoming a Knight too. I doubt it wont be anytime soon. Prince Andrew and Edward only became Knights in 2006.

If he follows the same path as his uncles, Harry won't get knighted until he finishes his military career and takes up full-time royal duties for a while.

Now I always thought, seems I was wrong, that members of the Garter who were royal were still part of the 24. Wiki tells me I'm wrong so, if Harry or any future royal were to be admitted he would fit (this may be an obvious question) into the Royal Knights and Ladies section yes? Leaving 23rd & 24th spot vacant?

If this is correct, is there then a limit on how many people can be admitted in the "Royal" section?

:previous:
There is no limit on the number of Royal Knights; there can be as many Royal Knights Companion and Ladies of the Garter (members of the British Royal Family), as well as Extra (or Strange) Knights Companion and Ladies of the Order (members of the foreign royal families) as the Sovereign wishes.

If Prince Harry is created Royal Knight Companion, the current two vacant spots will still remain vacant. If, however, he were for whatever reason created Companion of the Order (which is highly unlikely to happen), then he'd fill in one of the vacant spots. Members of the royal family can theoretically be created Companions; however, that has never happened before (to my knowledge), nor was it necessary since they have a separate category (Royal Knights and Ladies) all to themselves. Similarly, foreign royals could theoretically be created Companions, but since they are usually included in the number of Extra Knights Companion and Ladies of the Order, it would be quite pointless.

Last edited:
While on the subject, the next Garter Service will be 18 June 2012.
Trooping the Colour: 16 June 2012
HM's birthday: today! (21 April)

Don't we usually get the announcement of new knights in St Georges Day?

Don't we usually get the announcement of new knights in St Georges Day?

Richard Palmer's tweets say that he spoke to BP who were not expecting any announcements. Although he did tweet later on that Prince Harry and Tony Blair would have to wait another year for the honour.

Tony Blair will be a Knight? Seriously? I know some other Prime Ministers have been added to the Order, but Tony Blair? I know he was in charge when Diana died, and he helped out, but c'monnnnn.

I hope Tony Blair is not knighted.
I'm not a Brit and the feelings of most British people are unknown to me, but personally I detest the man intensely.

I am a British and I am not his biggest fan. I know politicians are in very difficult positions and they can not do everything right, but Tony Blair is a man who I do not like at all. If he gets Knighted next year i'll eat my socks.

I share the feelings of, I think, most Brits when I say that Tony Blair is pretty intensely disliked. He was, however, PM for over a decade and so will get the Garter sooner rather than later. It was given to Margaret Thatcher whom people either love or detest, so I think HM will feel that TB should get it. There are 2 Tory knights at present and no Labour ones, so I think she'll even up the tally a bit if not next year then the year after.

Regardless of what one thinks of Tony Blair he was PM for over a decade and therefore the people of Britain must have liked him to a certain extent to continue to elect him and his party to office. In addition the Garter is one of the monarch's personal thank-yous so this would be a nice gesture. Blair could, of course, turn it down.

Earlier this year the Queen gave the Order of Merit to John Howard, former PM of Australia - who also served for over a decade - again as a personal thank you and the present PM acknowledged that Mr Howard did what he believed was best for the country - that he was a patriot.

I think Blair is the same - someone who believed that what he was doing was for the best for Britain - even though many, if not most, Brits now disagree.

As for Harry - sorry but she made her own younger sons wait until in their 40s for the garter and to give it to Harry any earlier would be an insult to her own sons. I would like to see Harry wait until Charles is King so that he can invest one of his sons with that honour. The Queen has been able to invest all four of her children and if she gives it to Harry then Charles won't have the pleasure and pride of a parent in investing one of his own sons as William has already been invested.

I share the feelings of, I think, most Brits when I say that Tony Blair is pretty intensely disliked. He was, however, PM for over a decade and so will get the Garter sooner rather than later. It was given to Margaret Thatcher whom people either love or detest, so I think HM will feel that TB should get it. There are 2 Tory knights at present and no Labour ones, so I think she'll even up the tally a bit if not next year then the year after.

As the order is the personal gift of the monarch I doubt that Blair will get it, he probably had the most problematic relationship with the Queen out of all her Prime Ministers.

Beside, as he's a Scotsman surely the Order of the Thistle would be more appropriate?

Shall I post this here? OK so Richard is telling me the Garter ceremony begins round mid-afternoon. He sadly cannot tell me exact times but I'm betting maybe somewhere around 3pm UK time. Sadly it'll be way too early here for me to wake up but I'll catch up on the excitement with you guys in the morning when I wake up.

Will be glued for the telly to watch...But certainly not Tony Ballony...he'll never get close...nor that witch wife of his..:D

Shall I post this here? OK so Richard is telling me the Garter ceremony begins round mid-afternoon. He sadly cannot tell me exact times but I'm betting maybe somewhere around 3pm UK time. Sadly it'll be way too early here for me to wake up but I'll catch up on the excitement with you guys in the morning when I wake up.

If the times on my pictures from 2008 are correct, the procession down to the chapel sets off around 2:45 PM BST.

Thanks wbenson! Hopefully they haven't changed the time too much since then. If that time is correct then that would be 6:45am PST and 9:45am EST

Updates begin to come in
Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine It's Garter Day, and there will be lots of royals at Windsor Castle for the annual lunch, procession and service in St George's Chapel.

phil dampier ‏@phildampier
Order of Garter Ceremony today then Royal Ascot.

According to the official monarchy website http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Royaldiary/Locationsandtimes.aspx

The Dukes of Cambridge and York and The Earl of Wessex aren't attending the Garter today. I hope that is wrong.

That site is listing as attending:

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall
The Princess Royal
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent
Princess Alexandra

I thought I heard yesterday that the Duchess of Cambridge was attending, would be funny for her to attend when William isn't there.

So the Monarchy site and CH don't agree - interesting as the Monarchy site I would have thought would have been from BP.

:previous:
The Monarchy website often doesn't mention the official engagements of the Wales family beforehand.
The Duchess of Cambridge's attendance has long been confirmed. The Duke of Cambridge's attendance was not mentioned on the Prince of Wales website just two days ago; glad they updated.

Odd that Andrew and Edward both aren't attending. We shall just have to see who attends later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom