The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Courtier

Most wonderful day of the year, I so love this time of year with all the traditions being carried out and the family in full view with their history being displayed in front of them......to think this goes back hundreds of years, not just a year or a decade, but hundreds and hundreds of years, this is what England is all about, it's history, some great, some good, some not so good, yet it all boils down to keeping the traditions alive and well and to carry on.
I think Queen Elizabeth looked full of life and just beautiful today. The English people must be so proud to have her as their Queen.
I loved seeing the way Charles and Catherine response to each other, they clearly are enjoying the day and each other. It was so thoughtful of him to let her sit in that seat. William looked dashing as always and loved the looks between him and his wife, clearly they love each other deeply.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Majesty

Video:
Members of the royal family attended the annual Order of the Garter service at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle on Monday. The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were among those at the ceremony, which takes place every year in June. The Most Noble Order of the Garter is Britain's oldest and highest level of chivalry which was formed by King Edward III in 1348. .
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Majesty

The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge & the Earl & Countess of Wessex Curtseying and Bowing to The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's departing carriage at the Order of the Garter Service-
World of Windsor : Photo

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Commoner

Minding your Manners

In watching the video that DMAN posted (#582), it stuck me that the Duke of Edinburgh, always the gentleman, duffed his cap as his carriage drove away. Most of the younger Royals did not, or could not be bothered to, do so - except Edward. Prince Andrew made an oh so subtle tip of his hat. I am pretty sure the Duke of Kent doffed his cap as well (hard to tell but he was hatless as he drove away) but he is of the save vintage as the DofE.

It sort of surprised me because they usually tend to "get these things right". It is a shame if some of these "basics" are lost because, IMHO, much of etiquette of manners trickle downward and if one generation does not continue to do so the next will surely not.

A shame really.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Gentry

I know Garter Day is over now but I have a question - does anyone know why the Emperor of Japan is always made a stranger knight? Since Emperor Meiji, every emperor has been a stranger knight...
Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff462 View Post
I know Garter Day is over now but I have a question - does anyone know why the Emperor of Japan is always made a stranger knight? Since Emperor Meiji, every emperor has been a stranger knight...
"Stranger Knights" are foreign sovereigns.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 AM
Gentry

I know what stranger knights are - the focus of the question was more on the Japanese aspect. Why is the Emperor of Japan always made a stranger knight (as opposed to any other foreign sovereign that might be made a stranger knight)?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 AM
Majesty

Britain went into an alliance with Japan in 1902 which would account for the Emperor Meiji and his son being 'stranger knights'. Hirohito was made a stranger knight as well when Britain and Japan were allies. He was stripped of his Garter as a result of Japan's aggression in the 30s and 40s but was re-instated when Britain and Japan were friends again and he visited the UK. Tradition would therefore mean that as the two countries are close allies and friends that they acknowledge that relationship with the highest order of knighthood.

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor