The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post

Thanks so does that mean that Queen Mother was also a dowager queen as well but I guess only one title will be used? Is there any preferential treatment for Queen/King Mother over a Dowager Queen?
As has been pointed out there is no title "King Mother." The mistake is a common one though, as people assume that the title Queen Mother means "the Queen's mother," which it doesn't. Instead it means "a former Queen consort who is a mother of a current regnant." The sex (and thus title) of the regnant doesn't play into it.

Dowager Queen vs. Queen Mother is kind of based on the situation and the preference of the individual. Most dowagers/queen mothers aren't known as anything beyond Queen X. When their husband is reigning they are The Queen, and when he dies they become Queen X, and The Queen becomes either the new monarch or his wife.

In the case of QEQM, what happened was at the time of KGVI's death there were 3 queens; Mary, QEQM, and HM. One was The Queen, of course, but she was also Elizabeth II, while the other was Queen Elizabeth, and the third was Queen Mary. To kind of help keep everything straight, QEQM formally used the Queen Mother title so that she could be distinguished from her daughter (the Queen) and her mother-in-law (the other dowager queen).

Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

As has been pointed out there is no title "King Mother." The mistake is a common one though, as people assume that the title Queen Mother means "the Queen's mother," which it doesn't. Instead it means "a former Queen consort who is a mother of a current regnant." The sex (and thus title) of the regnant doesn't play into it.

Dowager Queen vs. Queen Mother is kind of based on the situation and the preference of the individual. Most dowagers/queen mothers aren't known as anything beyond Queen X. When their husband is reigning they are The Queen, and when he dies they become Queen X, and The Queen becomes either the new monarch or his wife.

In the case of QEQM, what happened was at the time of KGVI's death there were 3 queens; Mary, QEQM, and HM. One was The Queen, of course, but she was also Elizabeth II, while the other was Queen Elizabeth, and the third was Queen Mary. To kind of help keep everything straight, QEQM formally used the Queen Mother title so that she could be distinguished from her daughter (the Queen) and her mother-in-law (the other dowager queen).
Got it Thanks. That's why I really like this forum --always opportunities to learn. You all are so Knowledgeable.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Thanks so does that mean that Queen Mother was also a dowager queen as well but I guess only one title will be used? Is there any preferential treatment for Queen/King Mother over a Dowager Queen?
Yes the Queen Mother was also the Queen Dowager or Dowarger Queen.

The order of precedence for Consorts of deceased monarchs is the reverse order of their husbands so at the beginning of The Queen's reign she was of course first, then her mother and then Queen Mary.

Philip was given precedence and preeminence next to The Queen, except when provided by law but when he was somewhere without The Queen then his mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law were ahead of him (as much by his desire I suspect being a gentlemen).
Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Yes the Queen Mother was also the Queen Dowager or Dowarger Queen.

The order of precedence for Consorts of deceased monarchs is the reverse order of their husbands so at the beginning of The Queen's reign she was of course first, then her mother and then Queen Mary.

Philip was given precedence and preeminence next to The Queen, except when provided by law but when he was somewhere without The Queen then his mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law were ahead of him (as much by his desire I suspect being a gentlemen).
Thanks dropping some knowledge !
Old 04-23-2014, 04:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

New companions for Order of the Garter announced | Royal Central

Mervyn King, Baron King of Lothbury former head of the Bank of England and Baroness Eliza Manningham-Butler former Director General of MI5 are to be given The Order of the Garter this summer.

They fill 2 out of 3 of the empty spaces that were made available last year.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Majesty

I'm always looking forward to this ceremony. The new appointments are pretty much the same old thing and nothing exciting about that but the ceremony is the best part.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-24-2014, 03:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
New companions for Order of the Garter announced | Royal Central

Mervyn King, Baron King of Lothbury former head of the Bank of England and Baroness Eliza Manningham-Butler former Director General of MI5 are to be given The Order of the Garter this summer.

They fill 2 out of 3 of the empty spaces that were made available last year.
Baroness Manningham-Buller is the daughter of 1st Viscount Dilhorne and Lady Mary Lilian Lindsay, daughter of 27th Earl of Crawford.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Courtier

New vacancy:

Lady Soames, born September 15 1922, died May 31 2014
In 2005 she was appointed Lady Companion of the Order of the Garter.
Lady Soames - obituary - Telegraph
Old 06-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Suppose it's too late to appoint a new member now, with the service 2 weeks away....
Old 06-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Majesty

The Queen normally announces new members on St George's Day which she did this year.

It would also be bad form to create a replacement knight before the deceased holder's garter etc have been returned to the Sovereign and that won't happen for a few months at least.

It would also be bad form to announce a new knight so soon after the death of a knight - while the family is still in mourning.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Majesty

Since today is Garter Day, I decided to post this rare video of Her Majesty Queen Mary and Their Majesties The King & Queen attending the Order of the Garter Ceremony in 1937-

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Majesty

Joe Little @MajestyMagazine · 6h
It's Garter Day at Windsor. The Queen and members of her family will attend a service at St George's Chapel at 3pm.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1m
The Duchess of Cornwall is missing from Garter Day here in Windsor, with a bad cold. The Duchess of Cambridge is expected, aides say.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine and Sophie arrived together by car.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 21m
The Duchess of Cambridge has arrived by car at St George's Chapel with the Countess of Wessex.

Catherine and Sophie. Sophie's father is the man in the far left of the image.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Sophie's, The Countess of Wessex, ensemble is odd.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Inspired by "Game of Thrones"?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

who is the man in the wheelchair right to the Countess of WEssex? the Duke of Wellington maybe?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I hated that dress on Sophie last year at the Coronation Festival Concert and I hate it again this year. I think it would be nice without the feather addition.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Courtier

Pics:
Zimbio: The Order of the Garter Service

New Companions: Mervyn King, Baron King of Lothbury and Baroness Elizabeth Manningham-Butler
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/O...3wV3WZ6xfx.jpg
Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Courtier

Queen and royal family don velvet robes and hats for annual Order of the Garter service | Mail Online
Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

Order of the Garter 2003-2014: Ceremonies and Information

I liked that Kate sat next to her father in Law instead of Charles sitting by himself for the drive back up to the castle.

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor