The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Courtier

A few posts ago I wrote something about Queen not making Princess Margaret Lady of Garter. And that too after making all her three working cousins KG/LG.I opined that she must not have been convinced that Margaret deserved that Order. Upon that, in 60s-70s, in the prime of her "work-life", when she could have been made one, Margaret had a very controversial public life, running her own soap operas.. so much that the Parliament openly preferred Pss Alexandra to represent the Queen abroad..

What do you guys think about this? Any other reasons/logics?

Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Administrator

There is no convention that senior Princesses of the British Royal House are made members of the Order of the Garter...

Victoria, Princess Royal and Empress of Germany, eldest daughter of Queen Victoria, was not awarded the Garter;
Louise, Princess Royal and Duchess of Fife, eldest daughter of Edward VII, was not awarded the Garter;
Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood, only daughter of George V, was not awarded the Garter;
Margaret, 2nd daughter of George VI, was not awarded the Garter.

However, in the latter part of her reign Elizabeth II has set a precedent with two appointments:

Anne, Princess Royal, only daughter of Elizabeth II, was awarded the Garter (1994).
Princess Alexandra of Kent, 1st cousin of Elizabeth II, was awarded the Garter (2003).

Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Of course it should also be remembered that from 1488 until 1901 when Edward VII made his wife, Alexandra a Lady Knight the only female members of the order were the Queens' Regnant. George V and George VI followed that precedent and made their wives Lady Knights. The only other lady knights in the 20th Century were other monarchs.

In 1987 The Queen made it possible for other ladies to be made Lady Knights and has added a number of Lady Knights since then - both royal - Anne and Alexandra and Margaret Thatcher and Lady Soames.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Aristocracy

A small video from the Garter service and dinner at Windsor castle with almost all European reigning monarchs from 2003. Never seen it before, only the pictures from these events.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What a wonderful video,I really liked the clip of HM.The Queen asking the young boys about a letter she wrote back to them,I'm not sure if Her Majesty said she doesn't or does trust the post
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Majesty

Yes, I do remember the European Monarchs who are members of the Order gathering for the ceremony. I thought it would've happened again during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations but it didn't.

The Monarchs gathering for the Golden Jubilee and Garter ceremony took place in 2002: Search - Getty Images : Order of the Garter June 2002#

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Of the foreign Monarch's present I could make out King Juan Carlos I,the then Queen Beatrix and Margrethe II of Denmark,King Harald Of Norway and also Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg (no longer a monarch since 2000) .I didn't see the King of Sweden?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm hoping that Princess Beatrix might attend this year.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I'm hoping that Princess Beatrix might attend this year.
Are foreign members attending this years Garter Service?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Majesty

I haven't heard anything about any of the Sovereigns attending. I do think it would've been nice if they could create a gathering like that again.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I haven't heard anything about any of the Sovereigns attending. I do think it would've been nice if they could create a gathering like that again.
I was thinking that she might attend cos she wasn't a sovereign with the inherant duties

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Majesty

That would be great if Princess Beatrix (boy it feels funny to say that) could participate in the Garter ceremony this year.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
That would be great if Princess Beatrix (boy it feels funny to say that) could participate in the Garter ceremony this year.
This is just my supposition but perhaps she will participate. She does head to London quite often to visit her son Friso and perhaps she'll plan a visit to work in attending the Garter ceremony. I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Courtier

^^^ well she is in the UK at present attending the Bilderberg meeting in Watford, so I read in a newspaper article today
Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if Charles will walk with the Queen at this years ceremony as Philip sadly wont be there, or will the Duke of Kent do the honour.

Is Catherine attending this years service?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Royal Highness

Catherine's attendance to the Trooping is confirmed, but as for the Garter we still don't know.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Catherine's attendance to the Trooping is confirmed, but as for the Garter we still don't know.
No plans for her to attend Garter.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe, the Duchess wakes up that morning feeling great (not big-great, but in fine fettle ), has something that still fits and fits the occasion and she decides to attend. Sitting around the house waiting is not much fun!

On the other hand, she wakes up tired and distracted. She is infinitely pleased she did not committ to the event. Smart lady move! I'd be playing it by ear, too.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would imagine Catherine wont attend, as she wouldn't ride in the carriage. I will be very shocked if she rides in the carriage at Trooping the Colour as well. Sophie didn't ride in the carriage for Ascot in 2007 when she was pregnant (though it had not been announced) and she didn't attend Trooping or the Garter service.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Sophie was not carrying a future monarch.

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor