The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
...And all the current members already had titles.
I don't think John Major had a title before being created a Knight of the Garter did he?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

No idea - but they all have letters after their name and even if all 6 "Sir"s rely totally on the KG, the others certainly didn't. This is special, the top banana, along with the OM.

A knighthood pales into dust in comparison - this is a real honour, bestowed by your Sovereign.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness

He was The Rt. Hon. John Major, CH (Order of the Companions of Honour).
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Majesty

I remember the former PM of Australia - Robert Menzies was offered both The Garter and The Thistle when knighted - took Thistle as a reflection of his Scottish roots - had nothing else. Had he accepted Garter that is all he would have had.

Regardless of any title a person has they aren't entitled to 'Sir' unless knighted and that applies to Garter recipients as well as any others.

It is a knighthood - plain and simple - the highest of the orders of knighthood but still only a knighthood and to suggest otherwise is to suggest it is more than it is.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
Well, if you are a Baronet you are also a Sir....Sir Denis Thatcher, Sir Mark Thatcher.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Air Chief Marshal Lord Stirrup, former Chief of Defence Staff is appointed Knight Companion of the Garter. 2 vacancies remain unfilled.
BBC News - Lord Stirrup made Knight of the Garter by the Queen
Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Majesty

The Queen has been graciously pleased to appoint Air Chief Marshal The Right Honourable The Lord Stirrup, GCB, AFC, ADC, to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter:
New appointment to the Order of the Garter

As NGalitzine has stated, there are two vacancies left.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Majesty

As these announcements are usually made on St George's Day, which this one was, it is reasonably safe to assume that there will only be one new knight this year.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, I didn't see that one coming. I felt sure that with a former PM having created a vacancy that HM would appoint another former PM.

Before he was ennobled, he was 'Sir Jock Stirrup', which may be the coolest name of all time.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

The vacancies were brought about by the death of the following:

1. The Duke of Grafton (7 April 2011)
2. Viscount Ridley (22 March 2012)
3. Lady Thatcher (8 April 2013)

He might be replacing the Duke of Grafton BUT more importantly, if you were a Member of the Order the 2 weeks between 22 March and 8th April should start to make you nervous. Spooky!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Nobility

Not to say that PC (I think they bonded on some level), may not do it later, but I did not see HM appointing Tony Blair. Or for the other 2 vacancies. I am not saying I do not like him, but I am sure HM can "take him or leave him" among the rather long list of PMs over the years. From what I can see, many of the Knights are up in age. As withe the queen, she likes them closer to her age. PC will want to replace them with his friends in the future. I think Blair will be on his short list.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

This is not given on the basis of friendship but for service, distinction, and philanthropy. All previous PMs within HMQs reign have been made KGs so to omit TB and GB would be quite a snub, and I dont think she would do that. But they are still only in their 50's so time enough.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Serene Highness

Tony Blair will be 60 years old next month, he's just two years younger than the Duke of Westminster, who is a Knight of the Garter.

I would not be surprised if Blair become a Knight of the Garter next year.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I have always been surprised that Princess Margaret was never given the Order of the Garter. She was the daughter of the King, and HMQ has handed it out to all of her children.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Majesty

But she did make her sons wait until well into their 40s to get it.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I have always been surprised that Princess Margaret was never given the Order of the Garter. She was the daughter of the King, and HMQ has handed it out to all of her children.
And she gave it to all her three working cousins..This shows that The Queen is very strict and impartial about Order of The Garter, and maybe she (as sovereign, not sister) was never completely satisfied with Princess Margaret's "sense of duty"..Perfectly justifiable though..If she had worked atleast a tenth as much as Anne does, sparing us of all the soap opera escapades in"quest for love",the BRF image during the "revolutionary" 60s and 70s would have been quite different, I guess..
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I expect Harry to be made a Knight of the Garter either this year or next (30th bday would be appropriate).

As she made her own younger sons wait until their 40s I hope that she doesn't give it to Harry any earlier than she did give it to them.

Of course if she doesn't survive that long it will allow Charles to honour one of his own sons - which would be far better in my opinion. The Queen has been able to give the honour to all 4 of her children and 1 grandchild so it would be nice to leave 1 of Charles' sons for him to so honour and will allow Harry to actually earn the award like Andrew and Edward had to do.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Majesty

Well, The Queen has already made her Garter announcement for this year. Perhaps Harry will be made a Garter Knight at some point. There are two spots open at the moment.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Harry will be made a Garter until his father is King. I also don't think Charles will make Harry wait until their 40's like Andrew and Edward had to. He is quite keen to point out who the main family are, and including Harry in the Garter service will only highlight that.

I also don't think Catherine will be given the RFO for a while yet, but you never know! Sophie got it in 2004 after the birth if Louise and it was first seen in Mary and Fred's wedding May 2004. When did Camilla receive the RFO?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, The Queen has already made her Garter announcement for this year. Perhaps Harry will be made a Garter Knight at some point. There are two spots open at the moment.
There does not need to be a spot open for Harry to be made a KG. British royals are Extra Knights and Foreign royals are Stranger Knights neither of which have any limitations on their numbers. The 2 vacancies are for Knights Companions which do have a limited number,

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor