Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think things start up around 2pm. Knights and the spouses will be attending.

Thank you!

Rebecca English hinted at more suprises coming during the week, btw...

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's all a bit anticlimactic without the procession and carriages. Amazing it has been so long since they were rained out.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Your York/Wessex, Wales/Cornwall and Princess Royal are all Kate and William:ermm: You seem to have used the Cambridge departing picture for the next three. Appreciate the pics though, but may want to fix that.

Your York/Wessex, Wales/Cornwall and Princess Royal are all Kate and William:ermm: You seem to have used the Cambridge departing picture for the next three. Appreciate the pics though, but may want to fix that.

They work just fine for me. :flowers:

I have tried numerous times, and the link works, but every time I am looking at a picture of Kate waving out the window of a car :sad:

Why didn´t they do the procession? There was no rain at all! A bit cloudy but still sunny...?!
http://itnsourcenews.com/?SearchTerm=Queen%20and%20royal%20family%20attend%20order%20of%20the%20garter%20event
It was raining very hard on and off appearantly. And considering the value of those robes and the age of most of the wearers it seems like it must have been the best decision. Considering it was the first time sims 71 they had to do it they have either had really good luck or dont take the decision lightly.

It was raining very hard on and off appearantly. And considering the value of those robes and the age of most of the wearers it seems like it must have been the best decision. Considering it was the first time sims 71 they had to do it they have either had really good luck or dont take the decision lightly.

I agree. They would have had to plan ahead to coordinate. They looked at the weather report saying rain and decided it best to drive. Thinking of how sick Philip got after the jubilee because of bad weather, I am sure the cars were a good decision for many of the older members. Not to mention the gorgeous and old robes.

There are currently 23 regular members, maximum is 24. That doesn't include the queen, POW and royal knights. The ages range among the 23 from the 64 year old Duke of Westminster up to the 97 year old Lord Carrington. Including the royal knights, queen and POW there are 33 (not including the foreign royals): 6 are in their 90's, 9 are in their 80's (Alexandra will soon make it 10), 8 are in their 70's, 7 are in their 60's, and then we have Andrew and Edward in their 50's and Will in his 30's. Not to mention the officers, some of whom are not full members. The bishop of Winchester is 58, Dean of Windsor is 69, Thomas Woodcock is 65 (king of arms), Patrick Dickinson (secretary) is almost 66 and David Leakey (gentleman usher of the black rod) is 64. The Chancellor is also a full member, Lord Abercom.

Last edited:
I agree. They would have had to plan ahead to coordinate. They looked at the weather report saying rain and decided it best to drive. Thinking of how sick Philip got after the jubilee because of bad weather, I am sure the cars were a good decision for many of the older members. Not to mention the gorgeous and old robes.

Probably the only way to insure that Philip didn't walk was to say that all of the procession was cancelled. He is known to be a tad stubborn:whistling:

He isn't the oldest one in the bunch, Lord Carriington has a good 2 years over him. I could see Philip saying 'if he can do it, so can I' :lol:

The decision was made to call the walk down about 11 am. I arrived at Windsor around 10 and after some shopping I joined the queue around 11 and almost immediately we were told that the decision had been made.

I was in place by about 12 and from then until I left at 4.30 it rained on and off all the time. At the exact time of the arrival of the knights it was fine but 10 minutes or so earlier it was raining.

The other thing, besides the knights cloaks etc is that the soldiera etc didn't take ip their normal positions and the bands didn't play as a result of the rain.

I think HM and Pr Philip could have gone by car anyway, no matter rainy or sunny, like the Queen Mother did the last times she attended the ceremony, while everybody else walked in the procession!

Zimbio:
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/xphhz27TiR4/Order+Of+The+Garter+Service

Last edited:
It's a pity that the procession was unable to be held yesterday, but the reasons for calling it off are totally understandable. I didn't realise that it's the first time since it had been called off since 1971, though - that's a long time, thankfully!

It was still nice that the royals still got to attend for part of it, though. They have been very busy over the past week.

Yes, the weather was like that here were I am (in Greater London) as well. Yesterday and today we had very bad rain. We've been having regular bouts of thunderstorms, too.

:bang:The CC does not list Camilla as haven't attended.

Last edited:
CC 13th December

The Duchess of Westminster was received by The Queen and delivered up the Insignia of the Order of the Garter worn by her husband, the late Duke of Westminster.

Maybe somebody can fill me in on a question I have. Has the Order of the Garter ever been canceled before?

I know this isn't so but to me, it somehow seems like the government is flexing its muscles a wee bit here. First off, the Spanish state visit is canceled and now we have the cancellation of the Order of the Garter service. It all just seems very odd to me.

Maybe somebody can fill me in on a question I have. Has the Order of the Garter ever been canceled before?

According to Royal Orders by Hugo Vickers, it was canceled in 1949 (unspecified), 1952 (mourning for the King), 1953 (the coronation had just taken place), 1955 (a rail strike that I believe also canceled the birthday parade), 1959 (the Queen was in Canada), and 1984 (the Queen visited the Royal Highlands Show in Scotland).

And why has the State Opening to take place on this Day? Could it not be one Day later?

That would interfere with Ascot, though. So assuming it had to be that week (and it probably did, as Parliament usually recesses in July, and there are building renovations going on that could affect any scheduling), something in the Queen's diary would have to budge.

Last edited:
That would interfere with Ascot, though. So assuming it had to be that week (and it probably did, as Parliament usually recesses in July, and there are building renovations going on that could affect any scheduling), something in the Queen's diary would have to budge.

I remember that one year it took place at the same Day then Ascot. And then the Queen managed to attend both Events.

This is very odd. I can't believe there isn't more behind this, and from what I've read there are to be 'reduced ceremonial aspects' to the State Opening.

It's very disappointing, Garter Day is always a highlight of the year.

It is odd. I hope there haven't been any threats leading to increased security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom