The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Aristocracy

ooooh gossip lol. What did the DM say and who is Liz Jones?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Serene Highness

Wow, I know that Prince Philip is 91 but in the last 6 months, I can rally see him age. I really worry about QEII when something happens to him. He is such a rock for the entire family. I really wish him another 10 years of health!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Courtier

How long a walk is that HM and the DOE have to take before the service? If it is a long walk, could they have ridden in carriage instead of walk?

Is it hot there today?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post
ooooh gossip lol. What did the DM say and who is Liz Jones?
Liz Jones is a writer for Daily Mail. She is known for her catty fashion pieces, highly embarrassing stories about herself, and dubious sense of style which she nevertheless feels compelled to impose on others.

She recently came up with a "wonderful" piece of journalism titled: "Does Kate only own ONE pair of shoes?", the shoes in question being Kate's favourite nude LK Bennett courts. Since all three royal ladies (Camilla, Kate and Sophie) opted for nude heels, it's quite fun to think it's their way of saying "Eat it, Liz".
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy

Ha! Love it! Let's hope that is exactly what went down. I hope those expressions on Kate and Sophie's face is the Duchess saying a few choice words about Liz lmao.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Nice to see Viscount Linley's son being one of the carriers of the train for the Queen or Duke of Edinburgh - last year it was one of the Lady Sarah Chattos boys

Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Courtier

I believe she has 2 page boys this year - Arthur Chatto and Charles Armstrong-Jones
Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post
Ha! Love it! Let's hope that is exactly what went down. I hope those expressions on Kate and Sophie's face is the Duchess saying a few choice words about Liz lmao.
Oh, to be a fly on the wall if that went down . Though I have a feeling that the Duchess has a wicked sense of humor and would be able to come up with a few great one-liners about that 'reporter'.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Liz Jones is a writer for Daily Mail. She is known for her catty fashion pieces, highly embarrassing stories about herself, and dubious sense of style which she nevertheless feels compelled to impose on others.

She recently came up with a "wonderful" piece of journalism titled: "Does Kate only own ONE pair of shoes?", the shoes in question being Kate's favourite nude LK Bennett courts. Since all three royal ladies (Camilla, Kate and Sophie) opted for nude heels, it's quite fun to think it's their way of saying "Eat it, Liz".
You could say that Liz Jones was the DM's original Samantha Brick; certainly Liz would give her a run for her money in the delusion stakes.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

i luved kate expression i wonder what they were talking about
Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Oh, to be a fly on the wall if that went down . Though I have a feeling that the Duchess has a wicked sense of humor and would be able to come up with a few great one-liners about that 'reporter'.
I'd like to be the fly on the wall when Camilla and Philip get together. Can you imagine those two working in tandem?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Video:
Home - ITNSource News

Pics:
Queen Elizabeth II and Members Of The Royal Family Attend The Order Of The Garter Service - Pictures - Zimbio
garter - News, photos, topics, and quotes
Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers
keyword "garter"

Dunno if it's been mentioned already but
Quote:
“Camilla, Kate, Sophie and the Duchess of Gloucester all curtseyed to the Queen as she walked by. Not sure if there’s a pic of that though.”

— @RoyalReporter (via allroyal)
Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for all the links to images. Everyone looked great, loved the images of the 3 "Windsor Wives", very amusing. Would have loved to know what they were discussing, it obviously shocked Catherine and Sophie. Lovely attire today too, love their nude shoes and the pale colours. I love Catherine's dress and Sophie's ensemble. I LOVED her hat too, which I did not think I would. Camilla looked great too.

Side note, how cute is the Queen in glasses? Sqee.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Side note, how cute is the Queen in glasses?.[/QUOTE]
very i just want 2 squeeze her lol she is very adorable
Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

A lot of people on websites (particularly the newspaper websites) comment on Sophie standing next to Catherine to get her picture taken. Where else was she meant to stand?... Camilla is her sister-in-law, they are allowed to converse at family gatherings. Next they will say she pushed Louise next to her on the balcony on Saturday.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
Why has Harry not yet been named a knight of the garter? Surely his service in Afganistan would qualify, in addition to his own charities. I also wonder why he doesn't ride in the trooping the color?

Well if Andrew's service in the Falklands and 20 years of military service and ongoing service to the monarch took him until his 40s to get the Garter I think Harry, as also the younger son, will have to wait as long.

The Queen expects service for decades before honouring younger children and only gives the awards to Charles (automatically with regard to The Garter when she created him Prince of Wales) and William to be the 1000th knight because they are future Kings.

Harry only did a short tour of Afghanistan - not a full tour - while Andrew did do the full tour of the Falklands and had there been other conflicts while he was in the service, where his ship at the time was posted no doubt he would have seen further wartime service.

Harry, like Andrew, doesn't ride in the Trooping the Coloiur because he doesn't have high enough rank in a relevant regiment. Harry is only a Captain and it is the regimental colonels of the Household Division who ride. Andrew, although a regimental colonel isn't a colonel of a regiment of the Household Division. As Harry actually serves in one of these regiments he can't be given honourary rank in that same division and he also doesn't participate because he isn't in a ceremonial part of the Blues and Royals - if he transferred to the ceremonial then he would be able to take part as a junior officer.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
How long a walk is that HM and the DOE have to take before the service? If it is a long walk, could they have ridden in carriage instead of walk?

Is it hot there today?
They always walk down the hill to St George's Chapel and ride back up the hill in carriages. I don't think it is an awfully long walk as the Chapel is located not too far from the Castle, but it must seem a lot longer going at that slow pace in those robes in the heat. I think it is usually quite warm on Garter Day - it's one event I've never heard of being rained out.

I love the pictures of Camilla, Kate and Sophie all talking together; in my opinion it would have been perfect if the Duchess of Gloucester (who can be seen lurking in the background in one or two of them) was included as well (big Duchess of Gloucester fan right here). I also love Prince William's facial expressions every year during the procession, I can't help but think he finds the whole Garter garb utterly ridiculous

Does anyone know if the Knights and Ladies always walk in the same place in the procession and how their position is determined? For example, I noticed John Major was at the front with a lady I didn't recognise but he is not the most recent or the longest-serving (for lack of a better expression) Knight?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

They all looked great, except Philip. He looked ancient, and, my mother who will be 98, looks 10 years younger than he. He looks worn out.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
There may be various reasons.
- His service in Afghanistan and charities, while highly commendable, doesn't automatically earn him the right to be invested as Knight of the Garter.
- Harry is still too young. While Prince Charles and Prince William both got the honour when they were of similar age, they are future Kings; Harry is not.
- The Queen may deliberately not want to invest Prince Harry, so that when time comes, King Charles has the chance to bestow the honour on at least one of his sons.
andrew and edward don't are future kings. may be soon harry got the honour soon. May be when he married.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
They all looked great, except Philip. He looked ancient, and, my mother who will be 98, looks 10 years younger than he. He looks worn out.
Really? Personally, I think that's a bit harsh. I mean he's 91 for god's sake and considering he just suffered a bladder infection he looks pretty good to me. I know it seems like a small thing but at this age any little thing is a big thing for them and their bodies. I'd say he looks tired but not ancient!

On a positive note I LOVED the Queen's earrings omg my mom and grandma we're freaking over how good the Queen looked in them.

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor