The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
I completely don't understand your point now. I think you are confusing here the order of precedence with the order of succession to the throne! With an addition of the Letters Patent of 1917 and general rules of dynastic seniority...
Again, could you recite your source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Where is this court protocol listed? Please link to something official from the court that says that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Why would Anne curtsey to The Duchess of Gloucester or Princess Alexandra? She is the daughter of The Sovereign and they are minor members of the royal family.
Branchg,....?? Do not be ignorant!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why would Anne curtsey to The Duchess of Gloucester or Princess Alexandra? She is the daughter of The Sovereign and they are minor members of the royal family.
Exactly my question. It can't be age because the Duchess is not that much older than Anne and even Alexandra is only 14 yrs older.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am looking forward to the reply to branchg's question.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not always. Diana took her court precedence after The Queen, The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret, but before all others including Anne.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just want to point out that Catherine and an official preceded William and official coming down the platform from the train this a.m. in Cambridge. The world did not quit spinning on its axis and William seemed utterly unconcerned. I think precedence is the most knowingly violated royal practice that we talk about in the forums.

If there were red cards and yellow flags for precedence violations by royals on official visits, the poor referees would be worn out.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Not always. Diana took her court precedence after The Queen, The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret, but before all others including Anne.
Was Diana really after Margaret? As far as I know, during her marriage to Charles she - as the Princess of Wales - was the third lady in the Kingdom after the Queen and the Queen Mother, and retained that precedence after the divorce. I am not aware of any Private Order of Precedence that put Margaret ahead of Diana either.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Excuse me? Don't be so rude and obnoxious please. Several of your postings have been completely incorrect and easily checked against information that is readily available, not to mention corrected by others.

I am sorry if you insist on being always correct, but you are not.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Was Diana really after Margaret? As far as I know, during her marriage to Charles she - as the Princess of Wales - was the third lady in the Kingdom after the Queen and the Queen Mother, and retained that precedence after the divorce. I am not aware of any Private Order of Precedence that put Margaret ahead of Diana either.
At court, Margaret always proceeded Diana (if females only were present, which again, is relatively rare). Usually, the official order is more or less followed even at court because their husbands are present anyway.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
At court, Margaret always proceeded Diana (if females only were present, which again, is relatively rare). Usually, the official order is more or less followed even at court because their husbands are present anyway.
I always trust your judgement and extensive knowledge on the subject but could you provide some sort of a source for that?
I find it hard to accept that the Princess of Wales would, for whatever reason, have lower precedence than the Sovereign's sister.

Assuming it is so though, it would mean the Queen decision to put Camilla (and, later, Kate) after Princesses by blood is nothing new.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

I did not mean to be rude or offensive to you, Branchg. But please, do cite some reliable source for what you are saying here. "It's not true" or "that's a fact" are not adequate answers for me.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I just want to point out that Catherine and an official preceded William and official coming down the platform from the train this a.m. in Cambridge. The world did not quit spinning on its axis and William seemed utterly unconcerned. I think precedence is the most knowingly violated royal practice that we talk about in the forums.

If there were red cards and yellow flags for precedence violations by royals on official visits, the poor referees would be worn out.
Actually that is correct precedence. Take a church service for example, the lower you are in precedence, the earlier you enter the church. The Queen is always the last to arrive (unless its a wedding and then she's only followed by the bridal party).
Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually that is correct precedence. Take a church service for example, the lower you are in precedence, the earlier you enter the church. The Queen is always the last to arrive (unless its a wedding and then she's only followed by the bridal party).
As opposed to Camilla, who makes a point of walking behind Charles at public appearances.

Each makes their own rules. There are more exceptions than not - that's all I'm saying.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
As opposed to Camilla, who makes a point of walking behind Charles at public appearances.

Each makes their own rules. There are more exceptions than not - that's all I'm saying.
Arriving and walking are two different things.
During arrivals, royals (usually) arrive in order of seniority - the most senior royals coming last. However, when walking (that is to say, during actual engagements), the less senior royal walks behind the more senior one. Prince Philip, Camilla, Kate and other consorts have all make certain they are a couple of steps behind their spouses.

But I agree the royals are probably much more relaxed about certain things that most of those who are interested in protocol, precedence and all that (me included).
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Arriving and walking are two different things.
During arrivals, royals (usually) arrive in order of seniority - the most senior royals coming last. However, when walking (that is to say, during actual engagements), the less senior royal walks behind the more senior one. Prince Philip, Camilla, Kate and other consorts have all make certain they are a couple of steps behind their spouses.

But I agree the royals are probably much more relaxed about certain things that most of those who are interested in protocol, precedence and all that (me included).
And also depending on circumstances too. For example, when Camilla hurt her ankle in a rabbit hole, one engagement saw the PoW pushing his wife in a wheelchair into the venue. One thing I do love seeing with the husbands and wives is the chivalry and protectiveness of their wives.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Hey hey i wanna make a point here. Sometimes the "walking behind" seems to be relaxed for female spouses. It seems ok if they walk ahead of their blood-consorts.
For example..see some videos when they are getting out of car. Usually thr receiving people (hosts) are only at one side when the car arrives. If monarch gets down that side, then its well and good. But what if the consort gets down that side and monarch gets down the other side/from the same side but after the consort?
I have seen in quite a few videos and observed the following:

1. Whenever DoE happend to get down from the 'main door' ie, the host side he just steps aside and waits for the Queen to come from other side, or from the same door, after him. She gets down and greets the hosts. Till then Prince Philip doesnt smile or even look into the eye of the receiving party, though he is really near to them. latest example is when they arrived at Abbey for royal wedding.

2. But see Queen Mother, and even Queen Mary in their own old videos, if they happend to get down the hosts' side they never waited for their Kings to get down. They simply went ahead to be greeted by their hosts and started chatting. For a couple of minutes it will seem as if the Kings are following the Queens.
It is not a dangerous, though definitely a breach of protocol, but its ok since ladies are always entitled to walk ahead of gentlemen

Did this make any sense to you guys..Wat do u say
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Gosh, that was pretty rude.. I sincerely hope this forum doesn't become like some of the political discussion forums where people are insulting and nasty. I've been having so much fun learning from this site.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post

2. But see Queen Mother, and even Queen Mary in their own old videos, if they happend to get down the hosts' side they never waited for their Kings to get down. They simply went ahead to be greeted by their hosts and started chatting. For a couple of minutes it will seem as if the Kings are following the Queens.
It is not a dangerous, though definitely a breach of protocol, but its ok since ladies are always entitled to walk ahead of gentlemen

Did this make any sense to you guys..Wat do u say
But then women take their husband's rank and become their equal on marriage. Thus a queen consorts in rank equals her husband and as a lady she has certain advantages, for a lady never needs to wait for a gentleman in situations like that. With the Duke it is different because he is not his wife's equal in rank. So his wife is both the lady and the superior.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Gentry

Ok, I can understand the need for order during public events like going to church for the Jubilee celebration. However, for private church going like Christmas at Sandringham, It is supposed to be a family service (even though the public awaits their arrival and departure). In that case, it just seems down right petty to insist that they march in order . Kind of reminds me of all the little kindergarten students lined up to march into their school room
Old 12-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
Ok, I can understand the need for order during public events like going to church for the Jubilee celebration. However, for private church going like Christmas at Sandringham, It is supposed to be a family service (even though the public awaits their arrival and departure). In that case, it just seems down right petty to insist that they march in order . Kind of reminds me of all the little kindergarten students lined up to march into their school room
They don't march in order going to church. Look at the pictures.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Gentry

While re-watching William and Kate's wedding, I noticed that the Kents and Glouchesters were seated in row 3 while Peter and Zara were in row 4. They come before the Kents etc in the succession. Are the Kent's seated in a earlier row due to age?

Tags
order of precedence, protocol