The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Majesty

I don't know. I was expecting the Palace to announce and Order of Precedence right after The Cambridges got married.

I think Catherine Precedence is position right after The Duchess of Cornwall, with The Queen's preference. Or right after The Countess of Wessex but mainly Camilla.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don't know. I was expecting the Palace to announce and Order of Precedence right after The Cambridges got married.

I think Catherine Precedence is position right after The Duchess of Cornwall, with The Queen's preference. Or right after The Countess of Wessex but mainly Camilla.

That's my take on it. I'm talking about 'real world' precedence and the Duchess of Cambridge comes third after HM and the Duchess of Cornwall. The rest is just academic IMO

Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
But granddaughters of the Monarch (Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and Zara) are usually below the wives of the Monarch's grandsons (Kate). If no specific stipulations were made about Kate's position, then shouldn't it be assumed her place is the same as in official precedence list - after the Countess of Wessex?
I believe it was confirmed by the Palace that Catherine's precedence would follow Beatrice and Eugenie at court. Of course, from a practical point of view, if accompanied by William (which she usually is), her precedence follows The Queen and The Duchess of Cornwall as the wife of the spare to the throne.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
I believe it was confirmed by the Palace that Catherine's precedence would follow Beatrice and Eugenie at court. Of course, from a practical point of view, if accompanied by William (which she usually is), her precedence follows The Queen and The Duchess of Cornwall as the wife of the spare to the throne.
That is interesting: I've never heard of Palace's confirmation of Kate's precedence.

One more question that interests me. If both Kate and Sophie are with their respective spouses, shouldn't Sophie (wife of the Sovereign's son) outrank Kate (wife of the Sovereign's grandson) official precedence wise? I'm asking because various publications, including credible ones, have put Sophie at the end of the pecking order (for senior royals), below Kate - and that doesn't sound quite right to me. Shouldn't Sophie outrank Kate both woman to woman and in presence of their husbands? The only situation when Kate should outranks Sophie is when William is present and Edward is not, at least the way I understand official precedence.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
That is interesting: I've never heard of Palace's confirmation of Kate's precedence.

One more question that interests me. If both Kate and Sophie are with their respective spouses, shouldn't Sophie (wife of the Sovereign's son) outrank Kate (wife of the Sovereign's grandson) official precedence wise? I'm asking because various publications, including credible ones, have put Sophie at the end of the pecking order (for senior royals), below Kate - and that doesn't sound quite right to me. Shouldn't Sophie outrank Kate both woman to woman and in presence of their husbands? The only situation when Kate should outranks Sophie is when William is present and Edward is not, at least the way I understand official precedence.
I think you have it correct here.

The male order of precedence after the Queen/King is the Prince of Wales/Duke of Rothesay, the sovereign's younger sons, the sovereign's grandsons, the sovereign's brothers and so on. Therefore with the husbands in attendance, Sophie would outrank Kate.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Sophie does outrank Kate in many circumstances, but I doubt it will ever really happen as Kate is the future Queen, whereas Sophie is only going to drop down the precedence ladder, sadly. (Queen Sophie FTW!) What I find funnier is Sophie's daughter outranks her.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

As long as Elizabeth II is the reigning Monarch, it can and will happen, even if the accent in recent years has been placed with the Wales family.
Once Charles becomes King, Sophie will be down in the precedence list as the wife of the Monarch's brother, whereas Kate will be the wife of the Heir Apparent - second woman in the Kingdom after only the Queen Consort. Until then, Sophie has some time to enjoy her temporal higher ranking.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

All of this focus on the women but are people saying Andrew and Edward take precedence over the Duke of Cambridge? Can someone give me an example of where this has 'played' out in public?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

Last years Remembrance day had the spouses lined up together and the order was , the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Cambridge , the Countess of Wessex and Sir Tim Lawrence. If Sophie out ranks Catherine then why did she stand behind Catherine at the service?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Last years Remembrance day had the spouses lined up together and the order was , the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Cambridge , the Countess of Wessex and Sir Tim Lawrence. If Sophie out ranks Catherine then why did she stand behind Catherine at the service?
The way they stand on a balcony is now down to precedence as well? That makes no sense. They just stand the way they stand.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Sophie stood beside Catherine, not behind. I don't believe they line up in order on the balcony, as over the years it has never appeared like that.

Andrew outranks Edward yet when the family attend The Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall every year Edward and Sophie sit next to the Queen on their right; Charles and Camilla sit on their left, with Andrew and Anne behind them. Edward and Sophie leave after Andrew, but I find it odd that they sit directly beside the Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, and it is not Andrew.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness

royal etiquette - Topics - Macleans.ca

Clear as mud lol. This article says Catherine always has precedence over Sophie
Old 10-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
royal etiquette - Topics - Macleans.ca

Clear as mud lol. This article says Catherine always has precedence over Sophie
I'm afraid that article simply rehearses previously published information most of which turned out to be incorrect.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Majesty

The "core" members of the royal family is The Queen, Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The "core" members of the royal family is The Queen, Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Cambridge.
The core female members, or else you very heavily underestimate Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry.

Quote:
All of this focus on the women but are people saying Andrew and Edward take precedence over the Duke of Cambridge? Can someone give me an example of where this has 'played' out in public?
There is a divided opinion on that issue.
Strictly speaking, Andrew and Edward should always have precedence over William and Harry. However, the Court Circular does list William and Harry above their uncles, suggesting they take precedence over them in a precedence list alternative to the official one. Thus, it could be said two Orders of Precedence exist for males as well, a private and an official one.

The Official Order of Precedence for Men:
- The Duke of Edinburgh (Sovereign’s consort) **
- The Duke of Cornwall (Sovereign’s eldest son)
- The Duke of York (Sovereign’s younger son)
- The Earl of Wessex (Sovereign’s younger son)
- The Duke of Cambridge (Sovereign’s grandson)
- Prince Harry (Sovereign’s grandson)
- Viscount Severn (Sovereign’s grandson)
- Peter Phillips (Sovereign’s grandson)
- Viscount Linley (Sovereign’s nephew)
- The Duke of Gloucester (Sovereign’s cousin)
- The Duke of Kent
- Prince Michael of Kent
- The Earl of Harewood
- The Honourable Gerald Lascelles

The Private Order of Precedence for Men:
- The Duke of Edinburgh (Sovereign’s consort) *
- The Duke of Cornwall (Sovereign’s eldest son)
- The Duke of Cambridge (Sovereign’s grandson)
- Prince Harry (Sovereign’s grandson)
- The Duke of York (Sovereign’s younger son)
- The Earl of Wessex (Sovereign’s younger son)
- Viscount Severn (Sovereign’s grandson)
- Peter Phillips (Sovereign’s grandson)
- Viscount Linley (Sovereign’s nephew)
- The Duke of Gloucester (Sovereign’s cousin)
- The Duke of Kent
- Prince Michael of Kent

* The Sovereign’s eldest son and Heir Apparent to the Throne (Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay) should always have precedence over all other males in the Kingdom apart from the Sovereign (obviously if it’s a King). However, the Queen issued an Order-in-Council placing Prince Philip above all men in the Kingdom, except, when provided by Parliament, the Prince of Wales. In practice, that means Prince Philip is pretty much always the First Gentleman in the Kingdom.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Courtier

I have said it once and I say it again: I will never understand this Order of Precedence stuff. And no wonder with all that different reports regarding who has precedence over whom. "sigh"
Old 10-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The core female members, or else you very heavily underestimate Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry.

There is a divided opinion on that issue.
Strictly speaking, Andrew and Edward should always have precedence over William and Harry. However, the Court Circular does list William and Harry above their uncles, suggesting they take precedence over them in a precedence list alternative to the official one. Thus, it could be said two Orders of Precedence exist for males as well, a private and an official one.

The Official Order of Precedence for Men:
- The Duke of Edinburgh (Sovereignís consort) **
- The Duke of Cornwall (Sovereignís eldest son)
- The Duke of York (Sovereignís younger son)
- The Earl of Wessex (Sovereignís younger son)
- The Duke of Cambridge (Sovereignís grandson)
- Prince Harry (Sovereignís grandson)
- Viscount Severn (Sovereignís grandson)
- Peter Phillips (Sovereignís grandson)
- Viscount Linley (Sovereignís nephew)
- The Duke of Gloucester (Sovereignís cousin)
- The Duke of Kent
- Prince Michael of Kent
- The Earl of Harewood

The Private Order of Precedence for Men:
- The Duke of Edinburgh (Sovereignís consort) *
- The Duke of Cornwall (Sovereignís eldest son)
- The Duke of Cambridge (Sovereignís grandson)
- Prince Harry (Sovereignís grandson)
- The Duke of York (Sovereignís younger son)
- The Earl of Wessex (Sovereignís younger son)
- Viscount Severn (Sovereignís grandson)
- Peter Phillips (Sovereignís grandson)
- Viscount Linley (Sovereignís nephew)
- The Duke of Gloucester (Sovereignís cousin)
- The Duke of Kent
- Prince Michael of Kent
- The Earl of Harewood

* The Sovereignís eldest son and Heir Apparent to the Throne (Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay) should always have precedence over all other males in the Kingdom apart from the Sovereign (obviously if itís a King). However, the Queen issued an Order-in-Council placing Prince Philip above all men in the Kingdom, except, when provided by Parliament, the Prince of Wales. In practice, that means Prince Philip is pretty much always the First Gentleman in the Kingdom.
The Queens cousins George Harewood and Gerald Lascelles are dead so I think it is safe to say you can drop them from your list since they won't be showing up at court anytime soon.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I have said it once and I say it again: I will never understand this Order of Precedence stuff. And no wonder with all that different reports regarding who has precedence over whom. "sigh"
Kit, it's actually quite simple (well, not too complicated): precedence is based on the relation to the current Monarch.
The Official Precedence lists for both men and women are pretty straightforward and given below. For convenience, I've written all those who can be in the precedence lists:

The Official Order of Precedence for men:
- The King (currently vacant)
- The Sovereign’s consort (husband of a female Monarch – currently, Prince Philip) *
- The Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay (the Sovereign’s eldest son who’s also the Heir Apparent to the Throne – currently Prince Charles)
- The Sovereign’s younger sons based on primogeniture (currently, Andrew and Edward)
- The Sovereign’s grandsons based on primogeniture (currently, William, Harry, Viscount Severn, Peter Phillips)
- The Sovereign’s brothers based on primogeniture (currently vacant)
- The Sovereign’s uncles based on primogeniture (currently vacant)
- The Sovereign’s nephews based on primogeniture (currently, Viscount Linley)
- The Sovereign’s cousins based on primogeniture (currently, Prince Richard, Prince Edward, Prince Michael)

* Prince Philip’s position is not automatic: as noted in my previous post, The Prince of Wales should have held precedence over all men in the Kingdom, including his father. However, the Queen’s Order-in-Council granted Prince Philip pre-eminence over all men in the United Kingdom, including Prince Charles.

The Official Order of Precedence
- The Queen (whether Regnant or Consort – currently, Queen Elizabeth II)
- The Queens Dowager (most recent consort first – currently vacant)
- The Wife of the Sovereign’s eldest son (currently, Camilla)
- Wives of the Sovereign’s younger sons based on their husbands’ primogeniture (currently, Sophie)
- The Sovereign’s daughters based on primogeniture (currently, Princess Anne)
- Wives of the Sovereign’s grandsons based on their husbands’ primogeniture (currently, Kate and Autumn)
- The Sovereign’s granddaughters based on primogeniture (currently, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and Zara)
- Wives of the Sovereign’s brothers based on primogeniture (currently vacant)
- The Sovereign’s sisters based on primogeniture (currently vacant)
- Wives of the Sovereign’s uncles based on their husbands’ primogeniture (currently, vacant)
- The Sovereign’s aunts based on primogeniture (currently, vacant)
- Wives of the Sovereign’s nephews based on their husbands’ primogeniture (currently, Lady Serena Stanhope)
- The Sovereign’s nieces based on primogeniture (currently, Lady Sarah Chatto)
- Wives of the Sovereign’s cousins based on their husbands’ primogeniture (currently, Birgitte, Katherine, Princess Michael and Dowager Countess of Harewood)
- The Sovereign’s cousins based on primogeniture (currently, Princess Alexandra)

It's the Private Precedence Lists that are somewhat confusing because the Queen can change them anyway she pleases at any time.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The Queens cousins George Harewood and Gerald Lascelles are dead so I think it is safe to say you can drop them from your list since they won't be showing up at court anytime soon.
And thanks yet again for correcting an awkward mistake of mine.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Ok the thing that always has me confused is this: if Sophie is alone with Kate and William who has precedence?? And who has precedence if there are just Kate and Sophie ?? I mean the official Order is quite clear on that subject with Sophie currently having Precedence BUT does this really change when Wills is with Kate ??

Tags
order of precedence, protocol