The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
I doubt that the children of Edward and Sophie will be a part of the royal entourage, their role in the future will be similar to Peter and Zarah Phillips and David and Sarah Armstrong-Jones, their parents will continue represent the BRF but the children will only attend family events.
Yes, that makes sense.

It must be difficult, as each reign begins the shift to accommodate the next, to determine which members will be "working" royals and which ones will have to get to the other kind of working.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Courtier

When Princess Anne became Princess Royal didn't that move up Zara?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

In the official order, daughters of the sovereign come fourth not second.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Kate Middleton, the Queen and Duchess of Cornwall on official visit to Fortnum & Mason | Mail Online

Quote from this article "
They are the three most senior female royals in the land.
But as the Queen, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge popped out for spot of tea yesterday, it was as if they were on a girls’ day out."

So is Catherine the third senior Lady in the land, or not??
I wouldn't pay much attention to that article. I stopped reading it after I read, "The Queen, who celebrated her Diamond Jubilee this year, looked simply delighted to be accompanied for the first time by the two women who will, one day, follow in her footsteps." Leaving aside the issue that Camilla may not be known as Queen, neither of those women will ever follow in her Majesty's footsteps, since they will be Queens Consort, not Regnant.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
No. The children of Princess Anne (or Princess Royal) do not have titles because Anne and her husband did not want them.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Princess Royal is a title that is traditionally (but not always) bestowed upon the eldest surviving daughter of a Monarch.
It doesn't affect the precedence or ranking of the bearer of the title, or her issue.

Precedence among those who are equal (for instance, granddaughters of the Monarch) is determined by primogeniture. Thus, Zara (who, as a daughter of the daughter comes last by primogeniture rules) is behind all of her cousins - Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
What about this article. Catherine's appears to very high in the pecking order,
The article just repeats what has been said on numerous previous occasions - and most of it turned out to be incorrect.
Firstly, there is a great difference between Official and Private Precedence lists.
In the Official Precedence List, Kate - as wife of the Sovereign's grandson - comes fifth (after the Queen, Camilla, Sophie and Anne).
In the Private Precedence List, which is entire at the Sovereign's will, Kate - as British Princess by marriage - comes (after the Queen, Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie, Lady Louise, Princess Alexandra, Camilla and Sophie).

Woman to woman, Kate is outranked only by the Queen, Camilla, Sophie and Anne. Camilla and Sophie also outrank Kate through their husbands (so if Charles, Edward and William are all present, then Kate's precedence is unchanged).

It has to be noted, however, that what with the emphasis on the "core" members of the Royal Family (the Wales family plus the Queen and Prince Philip), Kate appears to have been given a somewhat higher (unofficial) precedence, coming immediately after the Queen and Camilla, and ahead of Sophie and Princess Anne.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Majesty

I think The Queen and the Palace made it pretty clear doing the Jubilee celebrations that Catherine's precedence within the "Firm" is above The Princess Royal, Countess of Wessex, etc.

I think the focus is now on the "core" senior members of the royal family.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think The Queen and the Palace made it pretty clear doing the Jubilee celebrations that Catherine's precedence within the "Firm" is above The Princess Royal, Countess of Wessex, etc.

I think the focus is now on the "core" senior members of the royal family.
I don't think they did that in anyway. The balcony appearance and the carriage ride showed the 'future' of the monarchy. It in no way showed that Catherine outranks Camilla, Anne and Sophie. Both sets of precedence, one determined by The Queen herself lists Catherine below Camilla, Sophie and Anne.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Majesty

I know Camilla, Anne and Sophie take precedence over Catherine but I'm mainly talking about the precedence of the royals attending events.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I know Camilla, Anne and Sophie take precedence over Catherine but I'm mainly talking about the precedence of the royals attending events.
It's more or less the same, actually.
For instance, if a group of royals were to attend an event (such as a wedding), the precedence would determine who arrives when and in what order.
I'm talking about official and semi-official events, which is when Order of Precedence is really implemented anyway. Otherwise, it's of interest mainly for royal watchers.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Actually, Princess Anne - as the Sovereign's daughter - does have precedence over the wife of the Sovereign's grandson.

The Official Order of Precedence
- Queen Elizabeth (The Queen)
- The Duchess of Cornwall (the wife of the Sovereign's eldest son)
- The Countess of Wessex (the wife of the Sovereign's younger son)
- The Princess Royal (the Sovereign's daughter)
- The Duchess of Cambridge (the wife of the Sovereign's grandson)
- Autumn Phillips (the wife of the Sovereign's grandson)
- Princess Beatrice (the Sovereign's granddaughter)
- Princess Eugenie (the Sovereign's granddaughter)
- Lady Louise (the Sovereign's granddaughter)
- Zara Phillips (the Sovereign's granddaughter)
- Lady Serena Stanhope (Wife of the Sovereign's nephew)
- Lady Sarah Chatto (Sovereign's niece)
- Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester (Wife of the Sovereign's cousin)
- Katharine, Duchess of Kent (Wife of the Sovereign's cousin)
- Princess Michael of Kent (Wife of the Sovereign's cousin)
- Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy (Sovereign's cousin)

The Private Order of Precedence (which is entirely at the Sovereign's will):
- Queen Elizabeth (the Sovereign)
- Princess Anne (British Princess by birth)
- Princess Beatrice (British Princess by birth)
- Princess Eugenie (British Princess by birth)
- Lady Louise (British Princess by birth) *
- Princess Alexandra (British Princess by birth)
- Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall (British Princess by marriage)
- Sophie, The Countess of Wessex (British Princess by marriage)
- Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge (British Princess by marriage)
- Autumn Phillips
- Zara Phillips

* Assuming we accept Lady Louise is a Princess by birth (as per Letters Patent 1917), despite not using the title.
I always accept Louise as a British Princess, even though she does not use the title. She will always be Princess Louise of Wessex, even if she uses Lady.

The order of precedence is something I don't think I will ever understand. I imagine you really only know how it works when you are a part of it, as it so often changed for occasions. I never understand why if in the order of precedence, Catherine comes after Sophie as she is only the wife of a Grandson, yet when the family process out of churches and such, William is ahead of his uncles. I am guessing procession has nothing to do with precedence? And what is even more confusing is it will all change as soon as Charles becomes King. Andrew and Edward will be pushed right down to coming after any children William and Harry have. It's odd but nothing lasts forever. (Princess Alexandra was 6th in line to the throne at the time of her birth, now she is 41st!)

This whole "3rd Lady of the Land" is quite annoying. Who really cares, they are all HRH, surely they all know they are higher up than most other women in the family.

Quote:
It's more or less the same, actually.
][bFor instance, if a group of royals were to attend an event (such as a wedding), the precedence would determine who arrives when and in what order.[/b]
I'm talking about official and semi-official events, which is when Order of Precedence is really implemented anyway. Otherwise, it's of interest mainly for royal watchers.
Zara's wedding was obviously a private event, but William arrived after Edward and Andrew (Edward arrived, then Andrew etc.), yet the precedence lists him before William. It is so confusing, particularly when it changes from occasion to occasion.

On the Order of Precedence wikipedia page (it is Wikipedia, however) the precedence for females lists Autumn before the Queen's grand daughters as she is the wife of a Sovereign's grandson. Surely that is not correct.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I always accept Louise as a British Princess, even though she does not use the title. She will always be Princess Louise of Wessex, even if she uses Lady.
I am in complete agreement with you. Until such time new Letters Patent are issued, Lady Louise is a British Princess by birth.
Of course, honouring her parents' and the Queen's wishes, I always refer to her as Lady Louise (not that they would care if I didn't).
Quote:
Zara's wedding was obviously a private event, but William arrived after Edward and Andrew (Edward arrived, then Andrew etc.), yet the precedence lists him before William. It is so confusing, particularly when it changes from occasion to occasion.
Zara's wedding was indeed a private affair and guests could arrive in pretty much any order they wanted or the hosts had stipulated.
Prince Charles and Diana's wedding would give a more accurate outlook at how precedent works; because it was a state occasion, everyone arrived in the precise order they were supposed to, the last one (apart from the bride, of course) being the Duke of Edinburgh, the Queen Mother and the Queen.
Quote:
On the Order of Precedence wikipedia page (it is Wikipedia, however) the precedence for females lists Autumn before the Queen's grand daughters as she is the wife of a Sovereign's grandson. Surely that is not correct.
It is actually quite accurate, and indeed I have Autumn listed above the Queen's granddaughters in my Official Precedence list as well.
Autumn is the wife of the Sovereign's grandson. In essence, she is no different to the Duchess of Cambridge or Prince Harry's future wife.
Just because Peter Phillips is an untitled commoner, it doesn't change the fact he is the Queen's grandson. In past, the situation when the Sovereign's grandson had no titles simply didn't exist. Princess Anne's decision not to accept any titles for her children created an entirely new situation but did not change the Precedence.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Majesty

Actually the Order of Precedence did apply to Mike & Zara's wedding. Here you can see the order of arrivals for the royal family-

Here you can see the order of departures-

Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am in complete agreement with you. Until such time new Letters Patent are issued, Lady Louise is a British Princess by birth.[

Of course, honouring her parents' and the Queen's wishes, I always refer to her as Lady Louise (not that they would care if I didn't).
Exactly. Until the Letters change, Louise is still a Princess by birth and I do wish her parents allowed her and James to use their Princely statuses, but I also commend them for wishing their children lead private lives and do not end up being in the situation Beatrice and Eugenie are in. I have no doubt that Charles will issue new Letters as soon as he is King. Would that mean that Louise and James would have no right to use their Princely titles if they ever wanted to? Would they be completely stripped of them? I refer to her as Lady Louise too, but there is always a little voice that says "Princess Lou!" (although Lady Lou sounds cuter.)

Quote:
Actually the Order of Precedence did apply to Mike & Zara's wedding. Here you can see the order of arrivals for the royal family-

Royal Wedding: Zara Phillips Weds Mike Tindall - part 1 - YouTube

Here you can see the order of departures-

Royal Wedding: Zara Phillips Weds Mike Tindall - part 2 - YouTube
Now you see, Edward arrived first, yet William arrived just before his father even though he is below both Andrew and Edward. On the way out the family obviously walked out of the church as they do in many occasions (sSuch as the Diamond Jubilee service) when William coming before his uncles. That is always how it is, yet if precedence is correct William is after his uncles. It is a confusing process!

Zara and Peter did not arrive in Royal cars with Anne for the Diamond Jubilee service (nor did they leave in one either), however they walked out of the church behind their mother and they sat at the front with the other family members. I know they are not titled Royals, but it is obvious that this was following precedence, putting them before the Gloucester's and Kents. It was the same with the Royal wedding, the Phillip's did not arrive in cars with their other mother, aunt, uncles and cousins yet they walked out after them. Is there a reason for this or is it simply because they are not HRH? I understand Louise travelled with her parents due to her being under 18, therefore taking her parents' precedence, but when she turns 18 will she then be beind with Peter and Zara? (How odd it will look with Louise walking with Peter and Zara after she is 18, yet James will be with his parents. Will that happen?)
Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Serene Highness

I am under the understanding that prince/ss is a courtesy title and carries with it NO legal standing. How can people say Louise or James are legally prince/ss? Legally to me , means they would have recourse in the courts and I don't how a courtesy would hold up in court.

This style of Prince "is purely a courtesy and the holders of that title remain commoners until they are raised to the Peerage, the only exception being the eldest son of the Sovereign who at birth or, as in the case of Prince Charles, at his mother's accession to the Throne, immediately becomes Duke of Cornwall" (H. Austin Strutt, assistant under-secretary of state, in a memo dated June 17th, 1954 prepared for the Home Secretary; HO 286/50). See also Garter's statement that "the title of Prince is (in this country) normally a courtesy title indicating certain degrees of relationship to the Sovereign and having no power to govern." --- http://www.heraldica.org
Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The titles of British Prince and Princesses are entirely at the will of the Sovereign who can bestow or taken them away. In 1917, George V issued Letters Patent which, among other things, contained regulation as to who is automatically entitled to be styled as a British Prince or Princess. Lady Louise, as male-line granddaughter of the Monarch, falls under that category.

Until such time as new Letters Patent and/or Royal Proclamations are issued nullifying or modifying the 1917 one, Lady Louise and Viscount Severn can legally be considered to be a Princess and Prince.

When Peers inherit their titles, they don't have to do anything with the courts either; they simply ascend to certain titles by means stipulated in the original Letters Patent that had created their respective titles.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am under the understanding that prince/ss is a courtesy title and carries with it NO legal standing. How can people say Louise or James are legally prince/ss? Legally to me , means they would have recourse in the courts and I don't how a courtesy would hold up in court.
Because the 1917 Letters Patent, which have not been revised, grant the style and titulature of HRH Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom to male line granchildren of the monarch. So as male line grandchildren Louise and James would be covered by the Letters Patent. They are styled as the children of an earl because that is what their parents wanted and HM agreed. It is also fully in line with slimming down the BRF. Any member of the BRF who is not a peer is legally a commoner regardless of how they are styled and titled.
This is not the first time that a British princess has been known by something other than their princely title. Edward VII granted his female line granddaughters the style and title of HH Princess of the UK. George V did not approve of this so when his niece HH Princess Maud of Fife married he stated that she would be known as Lady Carnegie. Her title as princess was never formally revoked she simply stopped being known as such.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Serene Highness

But according to Bitish law, only Peerages need to be created by LPs. (Because they carry with them legal responsibility) All other styles and titles, other than a Peerage can bestowed by warrant, press release or verbal declaration,
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this conversation is moving away from the topic of precendence which is different than titles.

Tags
order of precedence, protocol