The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #761  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 PM
scooter's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk
It's really pointless to have the same discussion over and over again. One more time I direct you to already existing and well-advanced thread titled Order of Precedence. Everyone is welcome. Just don't start a new thread because you want to make your point or ask some questions.
IMO, all that noise about "Kate curtsying to Beatrice and Eugenie" is strictly a matter of protocl and Order of Precedence. And just because some *****y tabloids had what to yell about for some days does not mean there was real "contrvoversy".
Artemisia, I admire your patience. You just keep explaining the facts to us, ignorants, again and again. I'm sure you ca use the cut, copy, and paste command sometimes. ;-)
I dont mean to be rude, but may I ask on what authority you make these sweeping directions regarding where and how other members should post?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #762  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 1,648
Personally I wish that HM would have limited the curtsey and bow rule to the Sovereign and his/her consort and the first heir in line to the throne and his/her consort. The heir and all other members of the BRF could also continue the practice of greeting visiting monarchs and their consorts with a bow/curtsey.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #763  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Personally I wish that HM would have limited the curtsey and bow rule to the Sovereign and his/her consort and the first heir in line to the throne and his/her consort. The heir and all other members of the BRF could also continue the practice of greeting visiting monarchs and their consorts with a bow/curtsey.

Normal people don't have to bow or curtsey to anyone but if you are going to regard yourself as better then everyone else because you have a fancy title then you will make darn sure that those in your circle know their place and pay you the respect your title deserves. It is all part of their belief that they are superior to us mere mortals.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #764  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
"It is all part of their belief that they are superior to us mere mortals."

Do you actually believe that members of the BRF actually believe this ? While they know they were born into a special situation I rather doubt they believe they are superior to anyone else as people or mere mortals as you refer to the general population.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #765  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,427
I do very much believe that the members of the BRF believe that they are better than the rest of us.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #766  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 PM
PrincePat10's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Raliegh, United States
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter

I dont mean to be rude, but may I ask on what authority you make these sweeping directions regarding where and how other members should post?
Again thank you! The nerve of some people
__________________
HIM Emperor Patrick of Oracia
Reply With Quote
  #767  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 AM
PrincePat10's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Raliegh, United States
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk
It's really pointless to have the same discussion over and over again. One more time I direct you to already existing and well-advanced thread titled Order of Precedence. Everyone is welcome. Just don't start a new thread because you want to make your point or ask some questions.
IMO, all that noise about "Kate curtsying to Beatrice and Eugenie" is strictly a matter of protocl and Order of Precedence. And just because some *****y tabloids had what to yell about for some days does not mean there was real "contrvoversy".
Artemisia, I admire your patience. You just keep explaining the facts to us, ignorants, again and again. I'm sure you ca use the cut, copy, and paste command sometimes. ;-)
Im going to address you this one and only time to ensure that you understand me clearly. I am entitled to post a new thread on topics I wish to discuss as i see fit. It is my understanding that this is one of the privileges that membership affords to one. However, if the site administrators see fit to move, merge, or delete a thread i have posted, then so be it. To be perfectly honest I might have followed your direction had you not used such a supereminent "literary tone". I make it my aim to treat people respectfully, and if I fail to do so I try to apologize. I don't expect everyone on this board to operate by my moral values, but I do wish to inform you that such pitiful and unnecessary behavior doesn't go unnoticed. my best advice I can give you (which i am aware you are fully entitled to take or decline) is to avoid posts, such as this so as not to cause you further nuisance and trouble.
__________________
HIM Emperor Patrick of Oracia
Reply With Quote
  #768  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
It's all a question of perception, isn't it?

One material point is that royalty must adapt to the times in order to survive, just like any other cultural or governmental institution.

The fact is, the idea of "blood princesses" sounds ridiculously medieval. To many, it sounds incredibly classist and elitist to believe that someone of particular birth "deserves" privileges.

I'm not convinced that that is the idea that QEII wants to project, given that she puts so much public emphasis on service and duty.
The concept of monarchy has nothing to do with equality; it is indeed classist and elitist. I have no problem with any of this, because this institution is part of a nation's heritage and tradition, and if the citizens of United Kingdom don't see an issue with how things are run (and it seems that most are perfectly fine with it, or could care less), then there's really no reason to get excited. The Order of Precedence appears to work (even if there are those outside of the Family that see problems with it), so there's no reason to change it. It strikes me that the real purpose really comes in handy during State Occasions or formal family occasions, so I'm sure if Catherine wanted to have an afternoon of shopping with Sophie Wessex, there would be no need to curtsey when they greet each other.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #769  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 AM
EllieCat's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
Posts: 233
We Royal watchers must have seen hundreds of thousands of Royal images, and really, it seems to me, the only time i ever see anybody (in the Royal families) curtsey to anybody else in public, is to the Monarch of that country.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #770  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
"It is all part of their belief that they are superior to us mere mortals."

Do you actually believe that members of the BRF actually believe this ? While they know they were born into a special situation I rather doubt they believe they are superior to anyone else as people or mere mortals as you refer to the general population.
I agree with you. IMHO the members of the BRF are very much aware that they happened to be placed in a unique situation that gave them a great deal of wealth and status. However, I do not believe that most would believe themselves to be superior to others.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #771  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 185
Quote:
We Royal watchers must have seen hundreds of thousands of Royal images, and really, it seems to me, the only time i ever see anybody (in the Royal families) curtsey to anybody else in public, is to the Monarch of that country.

I have seen the Princess Royal curtsey to the Duchess of Cornwall in public.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #772  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 185
Quote:
There have been reports for nearly 30 years that Anne has refused to curtsey first to Diana and now to Camilla - now after their marriages Diana and Camilla were/are also HRHs as is Anne but she has simply refused to curtsey to them.
Ann has curtesyed to the Duchess. I saw it a video right here on this site.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #773  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,334
This thread will probably just be merged; just point out a double topic to the mods and the
they themselves will give a direct link to the already existing topic.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #774  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl

I have seen the Princess Royal curtsey to the Duchess of Cornwall in public.
I'd like to see those pictures!
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #775  
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post
I have seen the Princess Royal curtsey to the Duchess of Cornwall in public.

Do you have a link to show that? I ask because Anne always refused to curtsey to Diana and it was her animosity to Camilla that lead to the issuing of the new order of precedence in 2005 that put Anne and Alexandra ahead of Camilla.

So if she was curtseying to Camilla, Charles would have to have been there in which case she was curtseying to Charles.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #776  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Tsar bobo Iv's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: knoxville, United States
Posts: 249
that is awful if she curtsy 2 camilla and not to diana
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #777  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 185
Hi ILB

I will try and find it for you. I don't believe I saw Charles in the video.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #778  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'd like to see those pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Do you have a link to show that? I ask because Anne always refused to curtsey to Diana and it was her animosity to Camilla that lead to the issuing of the new order of precedence in 2005 that put Anne and Alexandra ahead of Camilla.

So if she was curtseying to Camilla, Charles would have to have been there in which case she was curtseying to Charles.
I have seen a video of Anne curtseying to Camilla as well. It was a Ascot a few years ago. Charles certainly did not appear to be present. If it helps find the video, I think Camilla was wearing a beige / gold Vivienne Westwood coat dress that day.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #779  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,768
Here it is; check Nico's post #629 for Anne's curtsey from the Order of Precedence thread.
__________________
A book should be either a bandit or a rebel or a man in the crowd..... D.H. Lawrence
Reply With Quote
  #780  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Let's look at what a curtsey is. It's a sign of respect for somebody. It's no longer insisted upon by the Royal Household for the public but it's obviously something the Royal Family have to do among themselves. If they don't, why should anyone else bother? To me it's natural that those who marry in should curtsey to those born as part of the firm but there's another level to that and that is - who exactly have they become by marriage? At the moment, the Duchess of Cambridge is not the heir's wife, but Camilla is and so it's natural that the Princess Royal would bob to the lady who will be the next Queen Consort. If she didn't curtsey to Diana, well that's just too bad. Plain and simple truth folks, is that not everyone can get along. Anne likes Camilla, she didn't like Diana. And so twas done.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
order of precedence, protocol


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Danish Orders and Monograms davo Royal House of Denmark 156 08-08-2014 12:36 PM
Danish Royal Family, Current Events 1: April 2003 - March 2008 Julia Current Events Archive 506 03-23-2008 05:56 PM
Princess Madeleine at the Ball of the Order of Innocence; 2003 Josefine Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill 62 11-19-2005 04:27 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman palace pom pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]