The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk
It's really pointless to have the same discussion over and over again. One more time I direct you to already existing and well-advanced thread titled Order of Precedence. Everyone is welcome. Just don't start a new thread because you want to make your point or ask some questions.
IMO, all that noise about "Kate curtsying to Beatrice and Eugenie" is strictly a matter of protocl and Order of Precedence. And just because some *****y tabloids had what to yell about for some days does not mean there was real "contrvoversy".
Artemisia, I admire your patience. You just keep explaining the facts to us, ignorants, again and again. I'm sure you ca use the cut, copy, and paste command sometimes. ;-)
I dont mean to be rude, but may I ask on what authority you make these sweeping directions regarding where and how other members should post?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Royal Highness

Personally I wish that HM would have limited the curtsey and bow rule to the Sovereign and his/her consort and the first heir in line to the throne and his/her consort. The heir and all other members of the BRF could also continue the practice of greeting visiting monarchs and their consorts with a bow/curtsey.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Personally I wish that HM would have limited the curtsey and bow rule to the Sovereign and his/her consort and the first heir in line to the throne and his/her consort. The heir and all other members of the BRF could also continue the practice of greeting visiting monarchs and their consorts with a bow/curtsey.

Normal people don't have to bow or curtsey to anyone but if you are going to regard yourself as better then everyone else because you have a fancy title then you will make darn sure that those in your circle know their place and pay you the respect your title deserves. It is all part of their belief that they are superior to us mere mortals.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

"It is all part of their belief that they are superior to us mere mortals."

Do you actually believe that members of the BRF actually believe this ? While they know they were born into a special situation I rather doubt they believe they are superior to anyone else as people or mere mortals as you refer to the general population.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Majesty

I do very much believe that the members of the BRF believe that they are better than the rest of us.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter

I dont mean to be rude, but may I ask on what authority you make these sweeping directions regarding where and how other members should post?
Again thank you! The nerve of some people
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk
It's really pointless to have the same discussion over and over again. One more time I direct you to already existing and well-advanced thread titled Order of Precedence. Everyone is welcome. Just don't start a new thread because you want to make your point or ask some questions.
IMO, all that noise about "Kate curtsying to Beatrice and Eugenie" is strictly a matter of protocl and Order of Precedence. And just because some *****y tabloids had what to yell about for some days does not mean there was real "contrvoversy".
Artemisia, I admire your patience. You just keep explaining the facts to us, ignorants, again and again. I'm sure you ca use the cut, copy, and paste command sometimes. ;-)
Im going to address you this one and only time to ensure that you understand me clearly. I am entitled to post a new thread on topics I wish to discuss as i see fit. It is my understanding that this is one of the privileges that membership affords to one. However, if the site administrators see fit to move, merge, or delete a thread i have posted, then so be it. To be perfectly honest I might have followed your direction had you not used such a supereminent "literary tone". I make it my aim to treat people respectfully, and if I fail to do so I try to apologize. I don't expect everyone on this board to operate by my moral values, but I do wish to inform you that such pitiful and unnecessary behavior doesn't go unnoticed. my best advice I can give you (which i am aware you are fully entitled to take or decline) is to avoid posts, such as this so as not to cause you further nuisance and trouble.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
It's all a question of perception, isn't it?

One material point is that royalty must adapt to the times in order to survive, just like any other cultural or governmental institution.

The fact is, the idea of "blood princesses" sounds ridiculously medieval. To many, it sounds incredibly classist and elitist to believe that someone of particular birth "deserves" privileges.

I'm not convinced that that is the idea that QEII wants to project, given that she puts so much public emphasis on service and duty.
The concept of monarchy has nothing to do with equality; it is indeed classist and elitist. I have no problem with any of this, because this institution is part of a nation's heritage and tradition, and if the citizens of United Kingdom don't see an issue with how things are run (and it seems that most are perfectly fine with it, or could care less), then there's really no reason to get excited. The Order of Precedence appears to work (even if there are those outside of the Family that see problems with it), so there's no reason to change it. It strikes me that the real purpose really comes in handy during State Occasions or formal family occasions, so I'm sure if Catherine wanted to have an afternoon of shopping with Sophie Wessex, there would be no need to curtsey when they greet each other.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Aristocracy

We Royal watchers must have seen hundreds of thousands of Royal images, and really, it seems to me, the only time i ever see anybody (in the Royal families) curtsey to anybody else in public, is to the Monarch of that country.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
"It is all part of their belief that they are superior to us mere mortals."

Do you actually believe that members of the BRF actually believe this ? While they know they were born into a special situation I rather doubt they believe they are superior to anyone else as people or mere mortals as you refer to the general population.
I agree with you. IMHO the members of the BRF are very much aware that they happened to be placed in a unique situation that gave them a great deal of wealth and status. However, I do not believe that most would believe themselves to be superior to others.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
We Royal watchers must have seen hundreds of thousands of Royal images, and really, it seems to me, the only time i ever see anybody (in the Royal families) curtsey to anybody else in public, is to the Monarch of that country.

I have seen the Princess Royal curtsey to the Duchess of Cornwall in public.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
There have been reports for nearly 30 years that Anne has refused to curtsey first to Diana and now to Camilla - now after their marriages Diana and Camilla were/are also HRHs as is Anne but she has simply refused to curtsey to them.
Ann has curtesyed to the Duchess. I saw it a video right here on this site.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

This thread will probably just be merged; just point out a double topic to the mods and the
they themselves will give a direct link to the already existing topic.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl

I'd like to see those pictures!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post

Do you have a link to show that? I ask because Anne always refused to curtsey to Diana and it was her animosity to Camilla that lead to the issuing of the new order of precedence in 2005 that put Anne and Alexandra ahead of Camilla.

So if she was curtseying to Camilla, Charles would have to have been there in which case she was curtseying to Charles.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Aristocracy

that is awful if she curtsy 2 camilla and not to diana
Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Aristocracy

Hi ILB

I will try and find it for you. I don't believe I saw Charles in the video.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'd like to see those pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Do you have a link to show that? I ask because Anne always refused to curtsey to Diana and it was her animosity to Camilla that lead to the issuing of the new order of precedence in 2005 that put Anne and Alexandra ahead of Camilla.

So if she was curtseying to Camilla, Charles would have to have been there in which case she was curtseying to Charles.
I have seen a video of Anne curtseying to Camilla as well. It was a Ascot a few years ago. Charles certainly did not appear to be present. If it helps find the video, I think Camilla was wearing a beige / gold Vivienne Westwood coat dress that day.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Here it is; check Nico's post #629 for Anne's curtsey from the Order of Precedence thread.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Let's look at what a curtsey is. It's a sign of respect for somebody. It's no longer insisted upon by the Royal Household for the public but it's obviously something the Royal Family have to do among themselves. If they don't, why should anyone else bother? To me it's natural that those who marry in should curtsey to those born as part of the firm but there's another level to that and that is - who exactly have they become by marriage? At the moment, the Duchess of Cambridge is not the heir's wife, but Camilla is and so it's natural that the Princess Royal would bob to the lady who will be the next Queen Consort. If she didn't curtsey to Diana, well that's just too bad. Plain and simple truth folks, is that not everyone can get along. Anne likes Camilla, she didn't like Diana. And so twas done.

Tags
order of precedence, protocol