On This Day: British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly the new Princess of Wales was widowed just under 6 months later when Arthur died at Ludlow in 1502.

On this day, November 16, 1093 ~ Demise of Saint Margaret, Queen of Scotland, the wife of King Malcolm III of Scotland

On this day, November 17, 1558 ~ Demise of Queen Mary I of England at St. James Palace in London

1292- John Balliol was made King of Scotland, put on the throne by Edward I and Scottish nobles. He would later be exiled and it would lead to the war for independence. He was a three times great-grandson of David I, making him one generation further then Robert the Bruce.

1558- death of Reginald Pole. Son of the countess of Salisbury, his mother and many of his family were executed during the reign of Henry VIII. His grandfather was the Duke of Clarence, brother of Edward IV and Richard III making his family a threat to the Tudor reign.

Cardinal Pole died a day before Queen Mary I ,had he lived longer I'm sure he'd have ended up in the tower like his mother and family members!

Reginald_Otto_%283798646208%29.jpg

On this day, November 17, 1558 ~ Demise of Queen Mary I of England at St. James Palace in London

Queen Mary's Funeral took place at Westminster Abbey on the 14th of December 1558.Her chief mourner was her favourite cousin Lady cousin Margaret Douglas the Countess of Lennox and the funeral Mass was officiated by the Bishop of Winchester.

On this day, November 19, 1600 ~ Birth of King Charles I at Dunfermline Palace in Fife, Scotland

On this day, November 20, 1737 ~ Demise of Caroline of Ansbach, Queen of Great Britain, the spouse of King George II

On this day, November 20, 1947 ~ The wedding of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey

On this day, November 20, 1737 ~ Demise of Caroline of Ansbach, Queen of Great Britain, the spouse of King George II

Caroline was once a marriage candidate for the Archduke Charles of Austria who was later The Holy Roman Emperor ,as Caroline was Protestant and Charles a staunch Catholic the negotiations evaporated.

On this day, November 21, 1682 ~ The wedding of King George I of Great Britain and Sophia Dorothea of Celle at Celle Castle Chapel

On this day, November 21, 1840 ~ Birth of Victoria, Princess Royal, Queen Victoria's eldest daughter

On this day, November 22, 1515 ~ Birth of Marie of Guise, Queen of Scotland. She was the spouse of King James V of Scotland.

Marie de Guise was the second wife of James V and was previously married to Louis II d'Orléans, Duke of Longueville in 1534 but was sadly made a widow in June 1537 when the Duke died.

On this day, November 20, 1947 ~ The wedding of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey

Not seen this before. Thank you!

"A flash of colour on the hard road we have to travel" as Churchill said of the wedding. Only two years after the war, a conflict that came close to the annihilation of the British people & Christian civilisation, a war that bankrupted the nation & left terrible scars across London & other cities. It must have been a truly welcome spectacle. Miraculous almost that we had survived to continue our national story in the face of such barbarism. The crowds are extraordinary! An example if there ever was one of the power of monarchy as a symbol of national continuity & hope.

Last edited:
On this day, November 23, 1589 ~ The wedding of King James I of England and Anne of Denmark in Oslo, Norway

On this day, November 23, 1589 ~ The wedding of King James I of England and Anne of Denmark in Oslo, Norway

As was standard with royal brides, they were married in proxy in August, before she ever left home. George Keith, the Earl of Marischal, acting on the king's behalf, stood in for him after being sent to negotiate the marriage.

Anne actually set sail for Scotland in August, 10 days later. Unfortunately her ship got caught in a storm, and she was forced to land in Norway. She later made her way to Oslo.

James learned in October that the Danes had abandoned the idea of sailing for Scotland before spring. James set sail himself instead from Leith to retrieve his bride, arriving eventually by land in Oslo November 19th.

The new Queen didn't arrive in Scotland until May. The couple traveled to Elsinore to visit her mother and brother. And later to Copenhagen where they attended the wedding of her older sister. They arrived in Leith May 1st, and she made her grand entrance into Edinburgh May 6.

Anne's coronation took place at Holyrood Abbey on the 17th May 1590 and was the 1st Protestant Coronation of a Queen Consort of Scotland,the previous queen consort Marie de Guise was crowned on the 22nd February 1540 in a Roman Catholic ceremony.

On this day, November 24, 1273 ~ Birth of Alfonso, Earl of Chester, the son of King Edward I of England

On this day, November 24, 1273 ~ Birth of Alfonso, Earl of Chester, the son of King Edward I of England

Possibly the one English Prince to have been given that name which is in honour of his maternal uncle,King Alphonso X of Castile.

November 24th ,1426 : Death of Elizabeth of Lancaster, Duchess of Exeter who was daughter of John of Gaunt and Blanche of Lancaster.Princes Elizabeth is the buried at St Mary's Church, Burford see link below

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._to_Princess_Elizabeth_(geograph_3422370).jpg

Last edited:
On this day, November 25, 1120 ~ Demise of William, the son of and heir of King Henry I of England, on the White Ship

On this day, November 25, 1609 ~ Birth of Henrietta Maria of France, Queen Consort of King Charles I of England

On this day, November 25, 1638 ~ Birth of Catherine of Braganza, Queen Consort of King Charles II

1034- Death of Malcolm II of Scotland and the ascension of his grandson Duncan II. Duncan is the killed in 'Macbeth'. Contrary to the play where he is portrayed as an old man, he was likely only about 39 or so when killed in 1040.

1487-Elizabeth of York is crowned Queen of England. She had been married to Henry VII for nearly two years, having wed January 18 1486.

On this day, November 25, 1120 ~ Demise of William, the son of and heir of King Henry I of England, on the White Ship

Williams half sister,Matilda FitzRoy, Countess of Perche and half brother Richard of Lincoln also perished when the White Ship sank.

331px-WhiteShipSinking.jpg

On this day, November 27, 1833 ~ Birth of Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, Duchess of Teck. She was the mother of Queen Mary, the spouse of King George V.

1640- Birth of Barbara Palmer, mistress of Charles II. Among her descendents is Fergie who is descended from their daughter Anne.

1809- An event called the Berners street hoax took place. A bet between Theodore Hook and Samuel Beazley was placed to see who could make any random house in London the most talked about location. Theodore won by sending out a thousand letters for deliveries, invitations, and requests. Among the numerous dignitaries to show up was Frederick, Duke of York (son of George III).

1640- Birth of Barbara Palmer, mistress of Charles II. Among her descendents is Fergie who is descended from their daughter Anne.

Barbara and Charles II's daughter Anne was also an ancestor of Angus Ogilvy, husband of Princess Alexandra.

Their son Henry Fitzroy 1st Duke of Grafton was an ancestor of Diana Princess of Wales and Serena Countess of Snowdon.

Another daughter Charlotte was an ancestor of Jack Brooksbank.

And Barbara was herself a 1st cousin of another reputed royal mistress,Elizabeth Hamilton, Countess of Orkney!

And Barbara was herself a 1st cousin of another reputed royal mistress,Elizabeth Hamilton, Countess of Orkney!

Indeed. Elizabeth Villiers was 17 years younger then her cousin. And was mistress to the nephew of Barbara's royal lover. She was the only reported mistress of William III, a maternal nephew of Charles II. Her mother had been governess to William's wife Mary and her siblings, how she came to court. William broke off their relationship shortly after the death of his wife.

Unlike her cousin, Elizabeth had no royal offspring, and was single at the time. She married her husband nearly a year after the relationship ended. Her husband was made Earl of Orkney on their marriage (a younger son of the Duke of Hamilton by birth).

An interesting note, as seen with some Scottish titles to this day, the Earl of Orkney was created simply to heirs of the body. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th holders were Elizabeth's daughter, granddaughter and great-granddaughter.

There are many theories to Barbara Palmer conversion to Roman Catholicism in 1663,her husband Lord Castlemaine was a prominent Catholic and Barbara herself was a member of Catholic queen Catherine's household.Perhaps the influence of both rubbed off on Lady Castlemaine.

On this day, November 28, 1290 ~ Demise of Eleanor of Castile, Queen Consort of King Edward I of England
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/51243530

Queen Eleanor's body was buried at Westminster Abbey her viscera was buried at Lincoln Cathedral the tomb monument was destroyed during English civil war but replaced in the 19th Century.

Westminster Abbey Tomb
EleanorCast.jpg

Queen Eleanor's body was buried at Westminster Abbey her viscera was buried at Lincoln Cathedral the tomb monument was destroyed during English civil war but replaced in the 19th Century.

Westminster Abbey Tomb
EleanorCast.jpg

Two of the beautiful Eleanor crosses at Geddington & Hardingstone are in my part of the world. Such a touching story behind them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_cross

Back
Top Bottom