On This Day: British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, October 28, 1708 ~ Demise of Prince George of Denmark, the husband of Queen Anne, at Kensington Palace

Probably the least known of all English/British male consorts.

On this day, October 30, 1485 ~ The coronation of King Henry VII of England

On this day, October 28, 1708 ~ Demise of Prince George of Denmark, the husband of Queen Anne, at Kensington Palace

Prince George was also a first cousin of his wife's successor, King George I.

His brother King Christian V of Denmark was an ancestor of Queen Alexandra (wife of Edward VII) and of course all subsequent British monarchs.

Christian V was also an ancestor of Prince Philip (husband of Elizabeth II). Philip descends as well from two of Prince George and King Christian's sisters: Frederika (wife of Duke Christian of Holstein-Gottorp) and Ulrika Eleonora (wife of King Carl XII of Sweden).

On this day, October 31, 1786 ~ Demise of Princess Amelia, the daughter of King George II of Great Britain

Halloween, not a good day for deaths in the BRF history:

Eleanor of England, Queen of Castille-daughter of Henry II died in 1212, 26 days after the death of her husband Alfono VIII of Castille. She was said to be so distraught over his death, that she had been unable to attend his funeral, falling and dying less then a month later.

Robert, 1st earl of Gloucester- died in 1147. He was a bastard son of Henry I. He was his half-sister Empress Mathilda's chief military aid. Robert was captured in the rout of Winchester. Mathilda released Stephen who she had in prison at the time, in return for her brother. By doing so she gave up her last chance at being queen and returned to France where she died.

Prince George was also a first cousin of his wife's successor, King George I.

His brother King Christian V of Denmark was an ancestor of Queen Alexandra (wife of Edward VII) and of course all subsequent British monarchs.

Christian V was also an ancestor of Prince Philip (husband of Elizabeth II). Philip descends as well from two of Prince George and King Christian's sisters: Frederika (wife of Duke Christian of Holstein-Gottorp) and Ulrika Eleonora (wife of King Carl XII of Sweden).

Yes, on George of Denmark's mother's side. George's mother was Sophie Amalie of Brunswick-Luneberg. Sophie was the daughter of George, Duke of Brunswick-Luneberg. Sophie was the 5th of 8 children. Her youngest brother (7th child) Ernest Augustus was father to George I.

But George I married his first cousin. Sophia Dorothea of Celle was the daughter of Sophie Amalie and Ernest Augustus' older brother George William.

Last edited:
Robert of Caen,Earl of Gloucester is buried at St James' Priory, Bristol and remarkably his burial and tomb effigy have both survived.

Robert_Consul.jpg

On this day, November 2, 1470 ~ Birth of King Edward V of England in London, England

On this day, November 2, 1475 ~ Birth of Anne of York at the Palace of Westminster in London

On this day, November 2, 1767 ~ Birth of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, the father of Queen Victoria, at Buckingham Palace in London

Only days before his death at Newark Castle the king had lost the English Crown jewels and a large portion of his baggage train in marsh land .Following his death he was buried at Worcester Cathedral.

Jan_tomb.jpg

These royal updates are really interesting. Thank you!

With regard to John, does anyone know why he was taken all the way to Worcester to be buried when Southwell Minster is so close to Newark? I had wondered about Lincoln Cathedral as well but I've subsequently found out that Lincoln was being rebuilt at the time of John's death so presumably would have resembled a building site. Peterborough Cathedral is also closer & presumably would have been easier to travel to from Newark in the early thirteenth century.

Last edited:
November 3, 1961 ~ Birth of David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon

Apparently King John dictated a brief will before he died instructing them to bury him in front of the altar of St Wulfstan at Worcester Cathedral.The shrines of St Wulstan and St Oswald were destroyed during the iconoclasm of the reformation,his parents had a devotion to St Wulfstan Bishop of Worcester.

Apparently King John dictated a brief will before he died instructing them to bury him in front of the altar of St Wulfstan at Worcester Cathedral.The shrines of St Wulstan and St Oswald were destroyed during the iconoclasm of the reformation,his parents had a devotion to St Wulfstan Bishop of Worcester.

Very interesting! Thank you. I need to look up these two saints.

On this day, November 4, 1631 ~ Birth of Mary, Princess Royal, the daughter of King Charles I at St. James's Palace in London

On this day, November 4, 1677 ~ The wedding of William, Prince of Orange (King William III) and Queen Mary II of England at St. James's Palace in London

On this day, November 6, 1429 ~ The coronation of King Henry VI of England

On this day, November 6, 1612 ~ Demise of Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, the son of King James I

On this day, November 6, 1429 ~ The coronation of King Henry VI of England

John of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Bedford acted as Regent for his nephew as well as being his commander of the war with France.

310px-John%2C_Duke_of_Bedford_-_British_Library_Add_MS_18850_f256v_-_detail.jpg

On this day, November 8, 1768 ~ Birth of Princess Augusta Sophia, the daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte

On this day, November 9, 1384 ~ Birth of Isabella of Valois, Queen of England, the second spouse of King Richard II, in Paris, France

On this day, November 9, 1841 ~ Birth of King Edward VII at Buckingham Palace

On this day, November 9, 1384 ~ Birth of Isabella of Valois, Queen of England, the second spouse of King Richard II, in Paris, France

Following the death of the deposed Richard II in 1400 ,Isabella went onto marry Charles, Duke d'Orléans and later died in childbirth in August 1409.The remains of queen Isabella were buried at the now destroyed Couvent des Célestins de Paris.

Isabelle_Valois.jpg

On this day, November 10, 1480 ~ Birth of Bridget of York, the daughter of King Edward IV at Eltham Palace

On this day, November 11, 1100 ~ The wedding of King Henry I of England and Matilda of Scotland at Westminster Abbey

An union of the Anglo-Saxon and Norman claims to the throne in a way. Mathilda (Edith) was the granddaughter of Edward the Exile, himself a son of King Edmund Ironside.

Edward the exile was called to England by Edward the Confessor. If her grandfather had not died shortly after arrival, he would have been Edward the Confessor's heir (not Harold or William). The Exile had 3 children, Saint Margaret who was his middle child, was Mathilda/Edith's mother. His only son Edgar died without marrying or having children, and Cristin was an abbess. Margaret's children were his only grandchildren. Mathilda was her eldest daughter (though she had multiple brothers).

Marrying Mathilda was a smart political move for Henry. Since Mathilda's Uncle was considered the uncrowned king, before Henry's father's conquest, it strengthened Henry's place on the throne.

There was controversy around the wedding. Mathilda had spent most of her life in a convent, and had even worn a veil. There was concern she had taken her vows. It was ruled she had not (her aunt made her wear it) and they were allowed to wed.

On this day, November 11, 1100 ~ The wedding of King Henry I of England and Matilda of Scotland at Westminster Abbey

Matilda's mother was Saint Margaret of Scotland,who herself was an English Princess the daughter of Edward the Exile.The Feast of St Margaret of Scotland falls on her the 16th of November and her shrine was once housed at high altar in Dunfermline Abbey where it survived until the Scottish Reformation.

On this day, November 4, 1631 ~ Birth of Mary, Princess Royal, the daughter of King Charles I at St. James's Palace in London

On this day, November 4, 1677 ~ The wedding of William, Prince of Orange (King William III) and Queen Mary II of England at St. James's Palace in London

Mary, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange, was King William III’s mother .

On this day, November 12, 1094 ~ Demise of King Duncan II of Scotland

On this day, November 12, 1094 ~ Demise of King Duncan II of Scotland

By the pricking of my thumbs.....sorry couldn't stop myself.

Duncan's grandfather Duncan I was the king who was killed in Macbeth. His father Malcolm III took the throne after the death of Macbeth.

He was half-brother of Queen Mathilda (our subject yesterday). Mathilda was Malcolm's daughter from his second wife, Saint Margaret. Duncan was his son from his first wife Ingiborg.

Ingiborg was a great niece of Saint Olaf and King Harald III of Norway. Her father who served as advisor to both, was married to their niece. She was the widow of the Earl of Orkney when she married Malcolm and bore him one son, Duncan.

On this day, November 13, 1312 ~ Birth of King Edward III at Windsor Castle

By the pricking of my thumbs.....sorry couldn't stop myself.

Duncan's grandfather Duncan I was the king who was killed in Macbeth. His father Malcolm III took the throne after the death of Macbeth.
Although, of course, Shakespeare's version was far from the actual history, in so much as it should come with the disclaimer that "any resemblance to actual events or persons is purely coincidental." :lol:

On this day, November 14, 1501 ~ The wedding of Arthur, Prince of Wales and Infanta Catherine of Aragon at St. Paul's Cathedral in London

Back
Top Bottom