The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Nobility

Oh... What a surprise, the tiara of Queen-Empress, made for an event not unlike a coronation! :)

Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

It isn't up to the Queen. If Charles outlives her, he'll be King; that's the way the succession works. Wishful thinking isn't going to change anything.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I couldn´t agree more! The tiara looks fantastic. The Duchess is every inch a Royal!
Thank you for the picture :)
Old 10-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

oh my goodness! she looks great. that foto brought tears to my eyes!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Commoner

BRAVO Camilla! My heavens! She looks fantastic! Although I too am amazed she wore the Delhi Durbar... I was certain she'd go for something more subtle. As it is, however, she seems to be saying "I've arrived," and in a very big way. Good for her.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
Yup, I quite agree with you, we are all looking at the future Queen Camilla, the mistress who became a queen. By the way, what does durbar stand for?!
I agree. Durbar here stands for a solemn ceremony of proclaiming the Emperor of India and presenting him to native princes. It was held in 1911 for King-Emperor George V and Queen-Empress Mary--it was deemed inappropriate to have a coronation in a Hindu country.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yup, I quite agree with you, we are all looking at the future Queen Camilla, the mistress who became a queen. By the way, what does durbar stand for?!
In India durbars were Court events; in imperial times the Durbar were the occasion where the Empress of India (Queen Victoria) was proclaimed as such by the Viceroy, and it was a very major ceremonial event. Not quite a coronation, but not far short.

In 1911 George V was proclaimed Emperor at a Durbar in Delhi, and the tiara Camilla is wearing was made for Queen Mary to wear at the Durbar.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

You can wait and see all you want but nothing will change. Camilla is definitly making the statement of I have arrived. You think she could be changing what the tiara stands for and to try to give it a new purpose. That would be a smart thing to do.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Gentry

I just arrived home and thought there won´t be any tiara pictures yet and now this - WOW, it looks great !! Well done Camilla :)
Old 10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
In India durbars were Court events; in imperial times the Durbar were the occasion where the Empress of India (Queen Victoria) was proclaimed as such by the Viceroy, and it was a very major ceremonial event. Not quite a coronation, but not far short.

In 1911 George V was proclaimed Emperor at a Durbar in Delhi, and the tiara Camilla is wearing was made for Queen Mary to wear at the Durbar.
Thank you Mapple and Elspeth, who made the crown, or who paid for it? The British or Indians?
BTW my husband can't understand my excitement in seeing Camilla with a Tiara, he thinks I'm nuts, he just walked in and said "she looks terrible" well there's no accounting for tastes!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thank you Mapple and Elspeth, who made the crown, or who paid for it? The British or Indians?
BTW my husband can't understand my excitement in seeing Camilla with a Tiara, he thinks I'm nuts, he just walked in and said "she looks terrible" well there's no accounting for tastes!
The Imperial Crown of George V was paid for by the Indians and made by the British jewellers; as for the tiara, I don't know.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Here's another pic from polfoto.dk

This pic of Camilla in the tiara looks very impressive. Charles and Camilla look good together. I like the dress and the necklace too. Not too much to compete with the tiara.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP438818_guest.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	205957  
Old 10-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Royal Highness

Any pictures of Mette-Marit or the Queen?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:07 PM

Re:

She looks stunning. A Norwegian or British Order would have been the icing on the cake but she looks extremely regal (as she should).
Old 10-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
This pic of Camilla in the tiara looks very impressive. Charles and Camilla look good together.
She looked better in the car! Sorry folks, at the end of the day she isn't physically attractive! She has greatly improved, but is no great beauty. I, on the other hand am really excited to see what Queen Sonja and CP MM will be wearing.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Courtier

Wow!! She lookes fantastic! At first i thought that the tiara was a little to big but at this picture she looks fab! The dress looks gorgeous even if I would like a full pic of the dress. What an start at her tiara era...:)

Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

That tiara was made as a crown; it went all the way round.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...83587632ZOxjMh

The way Camilla is wearing it, it either must have been huge or it's been altered for her and made into a regular tiara.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

Auntie~
You're totally right...Camilla isn't a typical beauty and if we're being honest, she's barely average. However, for her, I think she looks just gorgeous and more importantly, I think it's great to see her looking so happy by Charles' side! FINALLY!

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different." ~Coco Chanel
Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Commoner

Wow! Did the Queen or Diana ever wear that crown/tiara? Any pictures of anyone else wearing it? Queen Mary pics? Its quite impressive.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
She looked better in the car! Sorry folks, at the end of the day she isn't physically attractive! She has greatly improved, but is no great beauty. I, on the other hand am really excited to see what Queen Sonja and CP MM will be wearing.
auntie, forgive me, I didn't mean she was a physical beauty but that she and Charles make a good looking couple in this photo.
Royals don't have to be beauty queens but they have to have a certain 'look' and Charles and Camilla have pulled it off tonight IMHO.
Queen Mary who was horribly unattractive in her later years still looked like a Queen.

Tags
elizabeth ii, king harald, norway, official visit, queen elizabeth ii, queen sonja