The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
I wondered at the exact same thing. To me, such an event like this would be the perfect place to start an adult interaction with other European Royals. I remember Silvia commenting in a book that Victoria was allowed to attend a gala event at the Norwegian state visit in 1992 - as it was close relatives attending and a good learning experience.

I would think that it is never too early to start friendships with the people who're in similar places as you. Haakon, Frederik and Victoria has all talked about how nice it is to have someone to call, who knows what you're going through.

Also, Mette-Marit and Haakon are closer in age to William than they are to Charles and Camilla. So, it isn't like he'd be stuck with people of his grandparents generation only.

The work-placement programme might have something to do with it, and Sandhurst for Harry, maybe?
I appreciate your optimism. But I think it has more to do with the British royal insularity. The Windsor’s prefer to keep to themselves and other British aristocrats. At this very moment, William is staying with the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire at Chatsworth rather than meeting his future royal colleagues.

William has already represented the Queen in New Zealand. He’s more than ready to at least attend the state dinner if nothing else.

This is so different from the rest of Europe: WA and Maxima and Haakon and MM introduced their little crown princesses to each other before they were each one years old.

This seems, to moi atleast, to be very sensible. Only other royalty understands what the position is like. Other younger members of royal families could provide william with a lot of support and understanding.

Plus give good advice. I remember reading that Beatrix did a sort of “internship” at Margarethe’s court to figure out how to modernize her own.

While the Windsors have their own traditions that I’m sure they’re proud of, there must be SOME things that they could learn from other European courts.

but i'll stop here before I touch off an avalanche of discussion on why the queen doesn't attend foreign weddings. it may already be too late...

Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
this article in la vanguardia newspaper (http://www.lavanguardia.es/web/20051...196160588.html) mentions the possibility of haakon and mette marit having plans of going again to live in london to "avoid the norwegian press pester that doesn't miss the ocassion of poking in mette marit's past".
can anyone tell if there was anything said in any serious press of norway?
I have read nothing about it in any Norwegian paper or magazine, it seems the spanish imagination working overtime again, why would they move to London when they have just gotten their home ready and Marius has goes to the local school...

a selection from ukpress, they have several more but mostly the same

Old 10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
I have read nothing about it in any Norwegian apaper or magazine, it seems the spanish imagination working overtime again, why would they move to London when they have just gotten their home ready and Marius has goes to the local school...

a selection from ukpress, they have several more but mostly the same

i know... it seemed weird to me as it would be impossible that they moved now. couldn't see any possible reasons, and moreover, they need to obviously attend events in their own norway to fullfy their roles as future monarchs... (i guess they are not going to take the plane every day they have an event! ) but it's the second time i read it today in two different and serious newspapers.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 AM

State visit to London

Source: hellomagazine.com

Old 10-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

When Haakon and Mette-Marit arrived for tea with the POW and the Duchess only Prince Charles was at the stairs when their car arrived, the press started to wonder where the Duchess was but Charles told them "she is comming" and moments later she was there. Mette-Marit curtesied to the Duchess according to this article from aftenposten
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ko...cle1142936.ece

There will be no British Royals at the Guildhall Banqut tonight:( What a pitty...

Crown Princess Mette-Marit (L) of Norway is greeted by the Prince of Wales as she and Crown Prince Haakon arrives for tea at Clarence House in London , 26 October 2005. The Norwegian Royal family is on a three day visit to Britain. AFP PHOTO/ ODD ANDERSEN/WPA POOL (Photo credit should read ODD ANDERSEN/AFP/Getty Images)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56014383.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	206187   Click image for larger version

Name:	56014391.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	206188   Click image for larger version

Name:	56014400.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	206189   Click image for larger version

Name:	56014404.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	206190  

Name:	56014445.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	206191  
Old 10-26-2005, 11:58 AM

Re:

:) Camilla looks to be having a good time! I think it's lovely that she kissed Mette-Marit. Wish there was a video of Mette-Marit and Camilla together - can anyone find one?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Royal Highness

for a video of the gala: http://www7.nrk.no/nrkplayer/prosjek...rosjekt_Id=120 and press on "Statsbesøk" and then "Kongefamilien i England". And How to register: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=4841

Edit: The video is not working, I know. Then you have go to http://www.nrk.no/netttv and press on "Kongehus" and then "Statsbesøk" and "Kongefamilien i England"
Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 PM

Re:

LaMinka - you just became my favourite person. :)
Old 10-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
LaMinka - you just became my favourite person. :)
You're welcome.:)
Old 10-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
When Haakon and Mette-Marit arrived for tea with the POW and the Duchess only Prince Charles was at the stairs when their car arrived, the press started to wonder where the Duchess was but Charles told them "she is comming" and moments later she was there. Mette-Marit curtesied to the Duchess according to this article from aftenposten
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ko...cle1142936.ece

Mette-Marit did not have to curtsey to Camilla, they are both HRH and wives of heirs to the throne.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 PM

Re:

I wonder why Mette Marit did. Maybe she likes Camilla and wanted to show it via a curtsey. Who knows?

*By the Way - try and view that video - it's brilliant and really makes you proud of the way we do things in Britain.*
Old 10-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I wonder why Mette Marit did. Maybe she likes Camilla and wanted to show it via a curtsey. Who knows?

*By the Way - try and view that video - it's brilliant and really makes you proud of the way we do things in Britain.*
Maybe the curtsey was a mark of respect, as Camilla is so much older than MM. For the British Royal Family it's a good opportunity to establish Camilla as the future queen, whatever they may say about it.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Royal Highness

Another video on TV2: http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/?treeId=10...&itemId=114262

You have to press "fortsett" or something like that too see it. Thanks to Hans-E on GREMB for finding and post the link
Old 10-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Visit to the Palace of Westminster

From aap and anp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	206194   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	206195   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	206196   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	206197  

Old 10-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this hasn't been posted yet.
King & Crown Prince visit New Scotland Yard (from ANP)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3133806.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	206201   Click image for larger version

Name:	3133884.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	206202  
Old 10-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

More from the visit to The Walses at Clarence House
A pitty the Duchess will not attend the gala tonight....
A selection from UK Press
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Norway_visit_UK_102-UKP.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	206203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norway_visit_UK_104-UKP.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	206204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norway_visit_UK_105-UKP.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	206205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norway_visit_UK_106-UKP.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	206206  

Name:	Norway_visit_UK_107-UKP.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	206207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norway_visit_UK_108-UKP.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	206208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norway_visit_UK_110-UKP.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	206209  
Old 10-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Royal Highness

There are more pictures of the gala yesterday here: (not only of Camilla)http://www.rexfeatures.com/cgi-bin/n...7838&section=N

I hope anyone can post them as I don't can see them
Old 10-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Courtier

The banquet pictures are beautiful. :)
Old 10-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Aristocracy

I was looking through all the wonderful pictures posted here. Thank you to all who have done this. I appreciate it very much. I was wondering though why would Cherie Blair wear a pants suit to greet the Norwegian Royals??? It seemed a litttle disrespectful as the Queen and Crown Princess were dressed in dresses, hats , gloves and the whole ensemble. What do you think?
Linda 85
Old 10-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Nobility

HRH CP MM curtseys Duchess C

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
Maybe the curtsey was a mark of respect, as Camilla is so much older than MM. For the British Royal Family it's a good opportunity to establish Camilla as the future queen, whatever they may say about it.
I will say MM was unsure of herself, and how to do according to the official protocoll, "the rules of the game". MM is a Royal Higness and Crown Princess, and Camilla a Duchess. Official it was not correct with "the curtsey" . It would have been otherwise if everything was private. But both Camilla an MM seems to like eachother well so I presume it doesn't matter. ( I assume both the Brittish and Norwegian Royal courts will have to forward some information to MM and Camilla later on...)!

Tags
elizabeth ii, king harald, norway, official visit, queen elizabeth ii, queen sonja