The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2
William's took a little longer - 7 days. Was born on Monday, June 21, 1982 and the announcment of his name came out the following Monday, June 28th.
Anne's name wasn't known until August 29, 1950 - 2 weeks after she was born.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Nobility

I think Anne (too close) and Mary (Bloody Catholic Mary) are out. Elizabeth and Victoria are definate contenders.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
Well we have had a reigning Queen Mary since Mary Tudor so I don't think that is a problem.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Courtier

I love the name 'Margaret' but wonder if it might not be seen as now belonging, so to speak, to Princess Margaret's branch of the family.

Maybe Eleanor?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Nobility

Eleanor would great. If you are referring to Mary of Teck, she was not a Regent.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
Anne's name wasn't known until August 29, 1950 - 2 weeks after she was born.
Louise's names weren't released for about 2 weeks either.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Eleanor would great. If you are referring to Mary of Teck, she was not a Regent.
Mary II (30 April 1662 – 28 December 1694) was joint Sovereign of England, Scotland, and Ireland with her husband (who was also her first cousin), William III and II, from 1689 until her death.
Mary II of England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I wasn't referring to Mary of Teck. I referred to Queen Mary II, joint monarch with William III.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I spent some time looking at family trees. Many names repeat in categories. What I came up with is below - note that I included most female consort names as Royal Family names - but many could also be considered as former queens. The Middletons provide many choices, though many of the names do repeat over generations. I'm sure I missed a name or two - but do enjoy the variety.

4 names will be given
- one name from the list of former kings and queens of the United Kingdom
- one name from the British Royal Family
- one name form the Spencer Family
- one name from the Middleton Family
BOY
Former kings: Henry, Edward, George, John, Richard, William,
British Royal Family Names: Edward, George, Albert, Andrew, Charles, Richard,
Spencer Family Names: Winston, Charles, John, Henry, Robert, Randolph, George, Frederick, Edward
Middleton Family Names: Michael, Peter, Richard, Ronald, Francis, Stephen, Charles, James, Thomas, John, Noel, Edward, Henry, William, Clarke, Thomas, George, John

GIRL
Former Queens: Elizabeth, Victoria, Mary
British Royal Family Names: Anne, Elizabeth, Catherine, Alexandra, Charlotte, Caroline, Alice, Philippa, Margaret, Matilde,
Alexandrina, Helena, Louise, Beatrice
Spencer Family Names: Anne, Georgiana, Diana, Adelaide, Harriette
Middleton Family Names: Carole, Frances, Harriet, Dorothy, Edith, Philippa, Elizabeth, Valerie, Jane, Olive
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
GIRL
Former Queens: Elizabeth, Victoria, Mary...
Excellent lists!
One thing though: you can add Anne, Matilda, Margaret and Jane to the list of former Queens (although, in Matilda's and Jane's case, their reign was disputed).
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Excellent lists!
One thing though: you can add Anne, Matilda, Margaret and Jane to the list of former Queens (although, in Matilda's and Jane's case, their reign was disputed).
Yes, Artemisia, work was tough today and I am tired and so I was not fussy about the Royal Family vs. Queen name categorization.

I do like Jane and I think it has gone "unloved" when choosing names. I also like Spenser as a name and think Winston or Churchill would be a cool nod to former inter-family relationships (though I doubt any royal would give a nod to a former PM).

What surprised me was the multiple appearance of Philippa - though I doubt it would be chosen.

Overall - it is an interesting thing to consider.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm suffering from insomnia and, as is usual for me in such cases, nitpick on details.
Philippa is an interesting possibility, thanks for drawing attention to it. It will perhaps not be chosen for the first-born daughter but why not for the younger ones? Quite apart from Kate's sister, the name has also a history as a рoyal name (for instance, there was Philippa of Hainault, Edward III's Queen).
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Nobility

I just noticed that King Edward VIII had the names of all four saints in his name (George - England; Andrew - Scotland; David - Wales and Patrick - Ireland). I also noticed that all four of Prince Andrew, Duke of York's names are in Edward's! (Andrew Albert Christian Edward)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I never actually noticed the significance of Edward VIII's names, thanks for pointing out! Pity it didn't help him much though.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Serene Highness

Going back to the title discussion, if William and Kate have a boy first during the Queen's reign, he would be HRH Prince Name of Cambridge (as the eldest son of the eldest of the PoW). All of the other children would be Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor. When Charles becomes King, all of William and Kate's children become HRH Prince/Princess Name of Cornwall (then Wales once William is named PoW). Interesting the last time, you had 4 generations in direct line to the throne at once was the future Edward VIII who was born during Queen Victoria's reign.

I would think that Elizabeth is more of a guarantee girls name than Victoria is. Elizabeth is William's grandmother and great grandmother and his wife's middle name. All people who he has a direct relationship with. William is 6 generations down from Victoria.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo
I would think that Elizabeth is more of a guarantee girls name than Victoria is. Elizabeth is William's grandmother and great grandmother and his wife's middle name. All people who he has a direct relationship with. William is 6 generations down from Victoria.
And his mother-in-law's middle name; also Anne, Beatrice and Louise.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia

I'm suffering from insomnia and, as is usual for me in such cases, nitpick on details.
Philippa is an interesting possibility, thanks for drawing attention to it. It will perhaps not be chosen for the first-born daughter but why not for the younger ones? Quite apart from Kate's sister, the name has also a history as a рoyal name (for instance, there was Philippa of Hainault, Edward III's Queen).
Pippa's full name is Philippa Charlotte Middleton.

Tags
british monarchs, styles and titles