The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Aristocracy

I think Elizabeth Diana Mary Alexandria for a Daughter and William Charles Phillip George for a son. These are names that are more closely related to the child. I would not be opposed to Diana being the child's first name either. Or Catherine Diana Elizabeth Mary even. It is up to them after all.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
We all assume that William's firstborn will be a daughter and that absolute primogeniture will be adopted. Neither of those things have to happen. The chance of both happening is actually less than 50%. But I nevertheless hope that their eldest daughter will be named Victoria. Lady Victoria Windsor sounds extremely regal on its own, not to mention Queen Victoria II I'd suggest Anne and Mary as alternatives - how about Queen Mary III?
The title of William and Kate's future baby will more likely be Princess rather than Lady, seeming as William and Kate are the future King and Queen (or may already be monarchs by the time the child is born). If they choose the name Victoria, the baby will probably be known as Princess Victoria of Wales (if the baby is born during Charles's reign and William is granted the title Prince of Wales) or The Princess Victoria if she is born during William's reign. If she is the eldest daughter, we might see another Victoria, Princess Royal!

I would also like to see a Mary III. It sounds perfect. So does Victoria II .

Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Aristocracy

Now, when William is a grandson of a Sovereign, his potential daughter will be styled as Lady, just like other male-line great-granddaughters of former Sovereigns.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Unless the Queen issues Letters Patent granting William's daughter the style of Royal Highness and title of a Princess, which personally I find very likely.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
Now, when William is a grandson of a Sovereign, his potential daughter will be styled as Lady, just like other male-line great-granddaughters of former Sovereigns.
Yes, but when William becomes King surely his daughters/sons will bear the style of Prince and Princess?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes, but when William becomes King surely his daughters/sons will bear the style of Prince and Princess?
Yes, of course; the Monarch's children are automatically Princes and Princesses. In fact, William's (and Harry's) children - as male-line grandchildren of the Monarch - will automatically become Royal Highnesses and Princes/Princesses during Charles' reign as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk
Kbk, what I am talking about is that if the baby is born during Charles or William's reign and not the Queen's reign...
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Unless the Queen issues Letters Patent granting William's daughter the style of Royal Highness and title of a Princess, which personally I find very likely.
I agree because the first born will eventually become monarch and secondly, if this did not happen then the child/children would eventually have to be "promoted" from Lord/Lady to Prince/Princess and the reasons for this would not be generally understood. The vast majority of the UK doesn't have the knowledge contained within this Forum

It will seem normal for the children of Prince William (one day King) to be a Prince/Princess

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess they will choose names in the following way:

4 names will be given
- one name from the list of former kings and queens of the United Kingdom
- one name from the British Royal Family
- one name form the Spencer Family
- one name from the Middleton Family
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I think it is a pretty done deal that the eldest child of William and Kate will be named after one of the previous King and Queens Regnant.

If a girl:
- Victoria is almost a certainty.
- Elizabeth may be a contender too.
- Personally, I'm hoping for one of the other names - Margaret, Anne, Mary or Mathilde
- Charlotte is not, strictly speaking, a name of a former Monarch but Princess Charlotte of Wales was destined to become Queen Regnant of Great Britain, had she not died at childbirth. Besides, a nice tribute to Prince Charles, as was already mentioned.
- They could also surprise by naming the baby after one of the previous Queens Consort - Isabella, Catherine, Alexandra, etc - but personally I find that unlikely.

If a boy, any of the names of the former Monarchs are strong possibilities with the possible exception of John (a not very happy name in the Royal Family) and Richard.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think it is a pretty done deal that the eldest child of William and Kate will be named after one of the previous King and Queens Regnant.

If a girl:
- Personally, I'm hoping for one of the other names - Margaret, Anne, Mary or Mathilde
- Charlotte is not, strictly speaking, a name of a former Monarch but Princess Charlotte of Wales was destined to become Queen Regnant of Great Britain, had she not died at childbirth. Besides, a nice tribute to Prince Charles, as was already mentioned.
- They could also surprise by naming the baby after one of the previous Queens Consort - Isabella, Catherine, Alexandra, etc - but personally I find that unlikely.

If a boy, any of the names of the former Monarchs are strong possibilities with the possible exception of John (a not very happy name in the Royal Family) and Richard.
I would love to see a baby Elizabeth as I think it would be a wonderful tribute to William's grandmother, and it's the only name I think is a given to be included as one of the names, but I can see why they might decide to use something different as the first name.

I actually think all of the Cambridges' children, however many they wind up having, will have fairly traditional names, but I think they'll go Full Metal Future Monarch with baby number one.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:

If a girl:

I'd really love to see Charlotte being used again,if not Elizabeth or Mary are also strong queenly contenders.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've been thinking about this now for a couple of days and its finally come to me what would be kind of a fitting name for William's daughter as a heir apparent. Its been used as a monarch's name in the male form and its been a Spencer family name. It'd be different yet fitting with traditions. So here is my pick.

Georgiana with her being called Gia perhaps? I'm still undecided about middle names but it gives me something to muse about.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It's a beautiful name, and one with a strong Spencer history. But I strongly doubt it will be chosen as a first name of William's first-born child. In all probability, they'll go for a name of one of the previous Queens Regnant to show continuity.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

It's a beautiful name, and one with a strong Spencer history. But I strongly doubt it will be chosen as a first name of William's first-born child. In all probability, they'll go for a name of one of the previous Queens Regnant to show continuity.
If equal primogeniture isn't passed, does this give more latitude for names since a first-born girl (provided they have a boy) wont be queen?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
If equal primogeniture isn't passed, does this give more latitude for names since a first-born girl (provided they have a boy) wont be queen?
Even if Equal Primogeniture isn't passed by the time the first-born child (a girl) is born, I think it's safe to assume it will be passed at some point afterwards, and passed retroactively to include William's already-born children (the Swedish scenario). Bearing that in mind, I think William and Kate will go down the safe root and choose a name of a previous Queen Regnant. Besides, even if Equal Primogeniture is not passed, there is always a chance the couple won't have sons and so the girl will succeed William anyway.

Of course, they can be slightly more imaginative and instead of Mary, Elizabeth, Anne or Victoria - names of undisputed English/British Queens Regnant - go for something (relatively) more unusual, such as Matilda and Jane (both disputed Queens), Margaret (Queen of Scotland), Alexandrina (it was, after all, Queen Victoria's first given name), Grace (after Grace O'Mailley, Queen of Umaill - but given that Umaill was in Ireland and Grace was a pirate, it's highly unlikely).

Personally, I would really love to see a Margaret II or Victoria II one day, should William and Kate's first-born be a girl.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Serene Highness

^^^ Time for another Victoria, I agree.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Will the names be announced in the same announcement in which the birth will be announced?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Will the names be announced in the same announcement in which the birth will be announced?
Usually, no. British Royals announce babies' names fairly quickly but not in the birth announcement.

The official statement regarding the birth of James, Viscount Severn on 17 December 2007:
Quote:
Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex today was safely delivered of a baby boy by caesarean section at 4.20pm, at Frimley Park NHS Hospital in Surrey. The weight of the baby was 6lbs 2oz. The Earl of Wessex was present.
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, and Mr Christopher Rhys-Jones, have been informed and are delighted with the news.
The medical team attending Her Royal Highness were Mr Marcus Setchell (Surgeon Gynaecologist to The Queen); Mr Gareth Beynon (Consultant Obstetrician/gynaecologist); Dr Abdus Malik (Consultant Neonatologist), Mrs Grazia Sanar (Neonatal Nurse Practitioner); Dr Claire Edkins (Consultant Anaesthetist) and Mrs Adrienne Price (Head of Midwifery) and Mrs Mandy Kriehn (Operating Department Practitioner).
The Countess of Wessex is expected to remain in hospital for the next few days.
Their Royal Highnesses already have one daughter, The Lady Louise, who was born at Frimley Park NHS Hospital on 8th November 2003.
This baby is The Queen's eighth grandchild, and the eighth in line to the Throne.
The announcement of the baby's names from 21 December 2007:
Quote:
The names chosen by The Earl and Countess of Wessex for their son are James Alexander Philip Theo.
In James' case, his names were announced 4 days after he was born.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Courtier

William's took a little longer - 7 days. Was born on Monday, June 21, 1982 and the announcment of his name came out the following Monday, June 28th.

Tags
british monarchs, styles and titles