The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
Was it the Queen who told Diana no? If so did she have to give the okay for the names of her other grandchildren?

My understanding, based on the actions of George IV when Victoria was born, the insistance of Victoria that all her descendents carry either Albert or Victoria in their names (i.e. those in the British Royal Family), the comment by George V about the names of the present Queen that he didn't see any necessity to include Victoria in the names, would suggest that the monarch does have a say but usually defers to the parents unless they have a very real reason for not allowing a particular name.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Aristocracy

I always wondered why Anne picked the name Zara and I found a HELLO! article where it said that Charles came up with the name and it means "bright as dawn". Though not your everyday name I think it adds some diversity in a group of such traditional names.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Peter is unusual name for the British Royal Family as well.

Here is a brief summary of the first holders of several names (usually first names) in the English/British Royal Family. If I’ve added “need to re-check this” next to the names, it means I am not entirely sure they were actually the very first Royals with the name and will have to make further research to verify it.

Eleanor - the first English Royal with the name was Eleanor of Aquitaine, the wife of Henry II

Arthur - The first English "Prince Arthur" was the son of Prince Geoffrey (middle son of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine). He was supposed to succeed Richard I, however Richard was instead succeeded by John I

Berengaria - the first English Princess (Queen) with the name of Richard I's wife (need to re-check this)

Elizabeth - The first Princess with this name was the youngest daughter of Edward I of England

Geoffrey - the name of Empress Matilda's husband was Geoffrey. Their son, Henry, would become King of England following King Stephen's death. Geoffrey's nickname would become the name of the new dynasty - Plantagenet

Margaret - The first Princess with that name was Margaret of France, the second wife of Edward I (need to re-check this)

Matilda - The first English Royal with the name was Matilda of Flanders, the wife of William the Conqueror.

Richard - I believe the first English Royal with this name was Richard I. It is rumoured that Eleanor of Aquitaine named him after her first love and that was the reason she favoured him above all her other children.

Robert - William the Conqueror's eldest son was the first English Royal with that name

Stephen - the first member of the English Royal Family with the name was Stephen, Count of Blois, the husband of Adela of England (William the Conqueror's daughter) and father of King Stephen.

Adela - the name of William the Conqueror's daughter

Blanche - the first member of the English Royal Family with the name was Blanche of Lancaster, the first wife of John of Gaunt and mother of Henry IV of England

Anne - although several Princesses bore Anne among their names, the first English Royal with Anne as her first name Anne Boleyn (I will need to re-check this though), Henry VIII's second wife and mother of Elizabeth I

Jane - The first English Royal with the name was Jane Seymour, Henry VIII's third wife and mother of Edward VI

Lionel - the first British Prince with the name was the third son of Edward III

Philippa - the first English Royal with the name was Edward III's wife, Philippa of Hainault (need to re-check this)

Gytha - the first English Royal with the name was Gytha of Wessex, King Harold II Godwinson's daughter, who married Vladimir II Monomakh
Old 06-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel77 View Post
Arthur - The first English "Prince Arthur" was the son of Prince Geoffrey (middle son of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine). He was supposed to succeed Richard I, however Richard was instead succeeded by John I
Seems like every British heir who bears the first name Arthur has failed to inherit the throne. Prince Arthur, elder brother of Henry VIII, died before he could do so. Any other examples?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Seems like every British heir who bears the first name Arthur has failed to inherit the throne. Prince Arthur, elder brother of Henry VIII, died before he could do so. Any other examples?
No other eldest son of English or British Monarch held the first name "Arthur". Apparently, it was/is considered unlucky by the members of the Royal Family as well.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Great subject for a thread!!!

I also hope that Charles reigns under the name Charles III; I'm not fussy about the name George, never was....

I do like some of the old names mentioned:
Eleanor, Geoffrey, Richard and Blanche. Also Frederick...

Marsel77:
I'm not sure of this but I seem to remember reading years ago that Gytha was named Edith of Wessex in England, but by the time she reached Russia, she became Gytha.
Is Gytha a Russian name? Would it tranlate into Edith?
As I've stated, I'm writing this under very sketchy remembrance!!!

Larry
Old 06-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Courtier

Larry, Edith was the name of Gytha's mother. Edith Swanneck. As far as I know, she was born Gytha; there would be no particular reason for changing 'Edith' to 'Gytha' as both are not Russian names and are very uncommon for most Slavonic countries.
I believe it has English and Danish origin ('Gytha' means 'gift' in Old English and 'warring' in Danish, or so I am told by my book of name origins).
Old 06-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel77 View Post
Anne - although several Princesses bore Anne among their names, the first English Royal with Anne as her first name Anne Boleyn (I will need to re-check this though)
There were lots of royal Annes before Anne Boleyn - queens consort Anne of Bohemia and Anne Neville come to my mind, but I'm sure there were others too.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

Anne picked Peter because it was Mark Philip's father's name.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

Hi Marsel77,

Yes of course, you're right - Edith was the mother. It all comes back to me now!!!
Thanks for the information on Gytha; it does sound Norse...

Larry
Old 06-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedea View Post
I have always wondered why Queen Elisabeth decided to name her first son with that name so unfortunate. Does someone know the reason?
It's usually reported that she and Prince Philip chose the name because they liked it, not because of any major significance.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I believe Richard III's queen was Anne Neville, so she beats out Anne Boleyn as the first Anne. Oops, I just read about Anne of Bohemia, I agree, she's No. 1.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Courtier

All those, who corrected me about the name "Anne" - you are all perfectly right, thank you for pointing out the unfortunate error in the list.
After a little more research, it becomes apparent that Anne was a popular choice for Royal names (not necessarily the first one) from the times of William the Conqueror.
It seemed especially popular with the illegitimate daughters for a while.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

But you have to admit, the first two Queen Annes have been forgotten by most of us. Anne Boleyn was a tremendously forceful personality...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Courtier

I think Anne Boleyn could easily be called one of the most memorable Queen Consorts England/Britain ever had. She was also the most powerful one and gave birth to one of the greatest British Monarchs.
All that is quite remarkable for a woman who came from a relatively modest (for a Queen Consort) background and was a Queen for such a short time.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Commoner

I believe we've gotten to a very interesting point in history where the ominpresent media will force monarchs to use the name they are commonly addressed by as their regnal name; I doubt Prince Charles or Prince William will easily be referred to as King George or King Edward. That said, I don't think that will even be an issue, as very few British monarchs have chosen a different regnal name.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I, also, would like to see a King Charles III. I just think the double Cs of Charles and Camilla roll musically off the tongue.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb and sceptre View Post
I believe we've gotten to a very interesting point in history where the ominpresent media will force monarchs to use the name they are commonly addressed by as their regnal name; I doubt Prince Charles or Prince William will easily be referred to as King George or King Edward.
This is my thought about Charles attempting to become George VII. Even if he does it, I don't think very many people will call him that. He's been known as Charles to the world for six decades now, and he's been more visible than Edward VII was (and he had the benefit of being known by two names in at least some instances and just dropping one of them off). If Charles really intended on taking the name of George VII and having it succeed, he should have started working George into his public persona a very long time ago.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It isn't a given that he would use Charles and considering how vilified he has been as Prince Charles at times it is possible that he might opt for a new beginning.
Too forsake the name which has also seen him through the hardships, as well as confront them, would be a rather poignant action to take.

It isn't certain, this is true, though to be known by anything other than the name which has served him these past 60th years, would I'm sure be considered quite the eccentric reformation. Especially in this day and age.

Charles seems to me the only logical choice. Philip would be out of the question I'd endeavour to suggest, the use of George makes little reasonable sense and as for a 'King Arthur'? Well, unless he plans on having a round table carved its probably advisable that he leaves that one for the story books.

Charles he has been, Charles he is and Charles he should remain.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
We will have to wait and see but since 1837 there have been six monarchs - Victoria, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, George VI and Elizabeth II and it is 50% who have reigned under their given name and 50% who haven't (Victoria, Edward VII and George VI all used a name other than their first given name).
Victoria had always gone as Victoria, though. Her parents had Alexandrina imposed on them IIRC, and they never really used it.

Tags
british monarchs, styles and titles