The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 PM

?

i wasnt expecting that this would be seen in a negative light, am miffed by the above comment...?

Old 09-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

It has been my experience in these forums that when you present a topic, you have things to back it up, hence I was trying to find some sources to collaborate my reply that David and his set may have dabbled in the occult. This way people can read the sources and discuss it. When there's pure conjecture of "Someone said thus and such about somebody else", well, then you run into iffy territory and rumor. It has been my experience on these forums that the mods would like to keep the rumors to a minimum and the facts to represent themselves. I found the thread http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ded-17717.html to be an excellent resource on all subjects.
Again, this is with all due respect.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by markthebaldguy View Post
I just got an invitation from someone on here who asked that I not reveal his ( i think) forum name. but he added that St.James's Palace , where he claims he has done some contract work in an admin. position had been in talks with legendary psychic ------- this member has pledged to filter us some things from time to time... so lets hope for more huh?
I think Russo is referring to the claims made by your someone who supposedly works at St James Palace, unless he/she is willing and able to prove beyond doubt that he/she does in fact have contacts, then it sounds like gossip mongering.

We have had so many people on here leaking 'rumours and other false information, whilst suggesting they are the 3rd cousin once removed or know/knew personally, that we tend to dismiss this sort of claim.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

I didn't see the post in question before it was edited, but I think the following forum rule probably applies:
  • Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM one of the forum moderators.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Commoner

I remember reading somewhere (more than one source) that Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands saw the ghost of Abraham Lincoln when she was guest at the White House. But this can be a popular myth.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I sort of think fo New Age as "occult lite." My opinion on Diana's involvement with those things is that her life would have been different had she not got involved with them and the practictioners who just told her what she wanted to believe and fed her paranoia.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Courtier

I don't know of a place on EARTH where the monarch is considered an actual deity. The closest that absolute monarchs ever got in ancient times was semi-divine, sometimes with the notion that they would become a deity in the afterlife. Yet this is an entirely different notion of "God" compared to the Judeo-Christian tradition.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Waiting for the second coming – of Prince Philip - Australasia, World - The Independent

In a jungle clearing, at the top of a steep, rutted track, a group of South Pacific tribesmen convey an unusual request. "Can you tell Prince Philip we are waiting for him?" asks Siko Nathuan, the village chief. "We are his family and we really want him to come home."

"Home" is Tanna, one of the 83 islands that make up Vanuatu, formerly the Anglo-French territory of the New Hebrides. For reasons difficult to decipher, the islanders believe the Duke of Edinburgh is a descendant of one of their spirit ancestors. For the past half-century they have worshipped him as an unlikely god. Now they are convinced he is about to return.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There was a Channel 4 program on this recently called Meet The Natives.
5 tribesmen came across to the UK for 5 weeks and met Prince Phillip in a private off screen meeting. It was quite fascinating.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:23 PM

Prince Phillip worshipped by isolated island cult

Strange but true. The tiny island of Tanna, in Vanuatu is home to a rather unusual cult worshiping Prince Phillip. t is believed that when Phillip returns to the island: "there will be no more sickness and no more death ... a man will be able to take any woman he wants".

Vanuatu Islands | Prince Philip | Queen of England

I had no idea!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

What a strange story!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

South Pacific tribe preparing for return of 'god' Prince Philip - Telegraph

On a remote island in the South Pacific, villagers are counting the days until they welcome their god back to his rightful home.

The people of Yaohnanen on the island of Tanna believe a man descended from one of their spirit ancestors will return next month to live among them. While he was away he lived in a vast palace, but when he comes home he will sleep in a hut and hunt wild pigs with his tribe.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 PM

The whole "God" thing comes from the British Monarchs connections with the Catholic church. The King was declared to be ordained as King by God, along with the supreme Prince on Earth (the Pope). When Henry VIII detached from Rome during the whole Ann Boleyn saga, he declared himself the supreme ruler and head of the Church of England.
So to answer the question, No, we British don't consider the Monarchy "Godly" in any way. Just like Catholics don't consider the pope God! We do though accept him as head of the church and ordained as God's representitive by God.
Just like some protestants see the queen as ordained by God as his representitive.

All very confusing. Could have been avoided had Henry kept it in his pants. (to put it bluntly)
Old 04-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Gentry

HM queen elizabeth is the head of the church of england.
But alas not a god.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I had not heard of the Tanna natives and the HRH PP being their diety. In fishfinger's post the sentence "It is believed that when Phillip returns to the island..." When was Prince P on the island? I'm sorry, I know that it's a quaint story, but I can't stop........laughing!!!!!!!!!! Hoooooooooo hooooooooooo!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I can well remember when Prince Philip married Princess Elizabeth in 1947.
Some newspapers and newsreels at the time proclaimed him as looking like a Viking god....
I was 5 years old and he did look like he had descended from Valhalla!!!

Larry
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I had not heard of the Tanna natives and the HRH PP being their diety. In fishfinger's post the sentence "It is believed that when Phillip returns to the island..." When was Prince P on the island? I'm sorry, I know that it's a quaint story, but I can't stop........laughing!!!!!!!!!! Hoooooooooo hooooooooooo!
He never went to the Island, but he did meet the five tribesman who travelled over here.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

British student stands in for Prince Philip at ceremony on island where duke is living God | Mail Online
Old 11-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Nobility

If you go way, way back, most ancient kings claimed to be descended from gods.

In Britain, about the time the Romans left, and the Anglo-Saxons were coming over to settle, the King of Wessex, for example, was considered to be descended from Odin. Since the current royal family is descended from the kings of Wessex, that is in Burke's Peerage, I believe. In the same sort of way, Hawaiian ali'i were considered to be descended from gods. Ancient pharaohs of Egypt were considered to be the god Horus reborn, sort of an avatar. The emperors of Rome claimed descent from Aeneas of Troy, son of Aphrodite.

But as for actually BEING a god, I don't know of any, even very ancient cultures, that believed that -- Egypt seemed to be the closest, the pharaohs were pretty much considered gods, but I don't think they assumed their full godhood until after death. I think the ancient claims of divine lineage later evolved into the idea of divine right of kings.

As you may guess, I have an interest in ancient history.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porknight View Post
I know sound a silly question , but I was having an argument with somebody , and he was thinking that monarchies are believed to be god , or be worshipped as gods. Then he stated that some British think that she is some kind of god . As I know according to a survey (don't remember the source) that most of the British claim to believe more in ghosts than God .

Can I have some explanation please?

Please remember that this is not a joke please be honest and if you are a british write honestly what do you think about the Queen.
Not at all a silly question.

Oddly enough, I just read the same thing in Lilibet: An Intimate Portrait of Elizabeth II by Carolly Erickson, St. Martin's Press, New York, 2004. Erickson writes that on Coronation Day, 1953, ". . . according to one British newspaper survey, two-thirds of those questioned believed that [Queen Elizabeth II] was a direct descendant of the Almighty [H]imself" (p. 139). Erickson does not provide an end note.

I'm American, not British, but I do know that even if she's not a direct descendant of the Almighty, the Queen is divinely anointed. But aren't we all children of God?

Tags
elizabeth ii, god, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, religion, royal, royalty