The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2018, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
We'll most likely never know what Sarah wants or what Sarah might have planned until the occasion actually arises. For all we know, she could lean towards doing a full body donation to medical science and request no funeral at all.

We just don't know.
I doubt it. Im sure she'd like to be buried with the RF, but its not going to happen... not under Charles or the queen.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Aristocracy

I know Diana wasn’t buried at frogmore but do you think the Queen would have allowed Diana to be buried at frogmore?

Old 09-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why? Sarah is not favoured by the RF... she's nto a member of the RF, and I can't see why she would be treatd as a member of the RF, just because she "wanted it".
Sarah is favored by the one who counts which is the Queen, and IMO if her funeral and burial arrangements involved St. George's Chapel, the Royal Chapel of All Saints and / or Frogmore, and she discussed her funeral arrangements with the Queen and the Queen approved, I don't see this as something not happening even if the funeral and burial happens when one of QEII's successors is the monarch.

Personally I don't see having the funeral of a non-BRF member at St. George's Chapel (or the Royal Chapel of All Saints) as a big deal, there are precedents for that. Burial at Frogmore would be the request requiring more deliberation and consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_enthusiast View Post
Could Sarah have something like Lord Snowdon when he had a private funeral and then a memorial service attended by all the royals.
Of course, if that is her wish and the others are willing to attend.

It seems like you are trying to determine certain people's status or ranking based on the funeral that they had or will have, and since funerals are a very personal thing, there are too many variables to try to determine someone's status based on his / her funeral arrangements.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it and you have all been of great help.

It has occurred to me that Diana’s funeral was arranged by the Lord Chamberlain. I hate to be speculative and apologise if I am being but it has occurred to me that if she had lived and remarried would her subsequent wedding be organised by the Lord Chamberlain or would that just apply to her funeral. I know there is no definite known answer and we will never know but I would love to hear what your personal view of this would be.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Majesty

I highly doubt that her eventual remarriage would have been organised by the Lord Chamberlain.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I know Diana wasn’t buried at frogmore but do you think the Queen would have allowed Diana to be buried at frogmore?
I think the Queen would have approved. But the Spencers had the lead and made other arrangements
Old 09-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I certainly don't think the queen would have wanted Diana buried anywhere royal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I highly doubt that her eventual remarriage would have been organised by the Lord Chamberlain.
of course it wouldn't. She was not royal. Because her funeral was a big public event, the Ld Chamberlain organised it because the Spencers would nto have been able to organise such an event. It was based on the plans for the QM's funeral... But if Diana had remarried ti would up to her and her husband to arrange it.. She was not royal any more.....
Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Aristocracy

I thought she was still regarded as a member of the royal family if I remember correctly?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I certainly don't think the queen would have wanted Diana buried anywhere royal.
The Queen is a Christian and to me seems a flexible and practical lady. Angus Ogilvy, Henry Abel Smith, Dorothy Cambridge née Westenra Hastings, Alexander Ramsay, Wallis Windsor née Warfield, etc are examples of non HRH's and non-royals buried at Frogmore.

But the Spencers had other arrangements, so we will never know.

Quote:
I thought she was still regarded as a member of the royal family if I remember correctly?
She was the mother of the future King indeed and as such unbreakably linked to the person of the future King.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Aristocracy

So if she was a member of the royal family would her wedding be royal as I thought all members of the royal family have royal weddings regardless of whether it’s public or private, which would be organised by the Lord Chamberlain just as both Prince Harry’s and Princess Eugeine’s wedding were and currently being organised by.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

We don't even know IF she would have gotten married, WHERE she would have married. We also don't know IF the wedding would have been at all religious, much less which religion.

But since likely not your standard COE royal family wedding, no to Lord Chamberlain IMO. Since very possibly not in the UK, no Lord Chamberlain.

EDIT: And I just looked at the title of this Thread - Wow, are we off topic!
Old 09-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Queen is a Christian and to me seems a flexible and practical lady. Angus Ogilvy, Henry Abel Smith, Dorothy Cambridge née Westenra Hastings, Alexander Ramsay, Wallis Windsor née Warfield, etc are examples of non HRH's and non-royals buried at Frogmore.

But the Spencers had other arrangements, so we will never know.
of course they had other arrangemetnts. Diana was a member of the Spencer family, and IMO the queen only agreed to the funeral because of the public mood.

Quote:
So if she was a member of the royal family would her wedding be royal as I thought all members of the royal family have royal weddings regardless of whether it’s public or private, which would be organised by the Lord Chamberlain just as both Prince Harry’s and Princess Eugeine’s wedding were and currently being organised by.
She was not.. once she had divorced Charles, she lost her HRH and was only regarded as part of the family because of the boys. She was invited to certain events, the boys were still her boys, but she did not even spend Chirstmas lunch with the RF... because she didn't feel comfortable iwht them. Why on earth would they regard her as Royal or arrang her wedding? I can't imagine why she would wish for such a thing.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Majesty

The Princess Royal, by all accounts a royal, married in an intimate ceremony in a Scottish village church.

The Duke of Edinburgh, by all accounts a royal, wants a funeral as sober as possible.

Prince Michael of Kent, by all accounts a royal, married in Vienna.

Morale of the story: the grandesse of an occasion or the involvement of the Lord Chamberlain says nothing. It are always personal choices and circumstances in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

P Michael had no choice since it was his wife's second marriage. It was a civil marriage and at the time, Royals were held not to be able to marry in a civil ceremony in England..... and it was also Anne's second marriage.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it and you have all been of great help.

It has occurred to me that Diana’s funeral was arranged by the Lord Chamberlain. I hate to be speculative and apologise if I am being but it has occurred to me that if she had lived and remarried would her subsequent wedding be organised by the Lord Chamberlain or would that just apply to her funeral. I know there is no definite known answer and we will never know but I would love to hear what your personal view of this would be.
Basically, if Diana were to have remarried again, I think that she would have wanted it to be as far removed from the British royal family as possible other than having her sons attend. This is the woman that actively dismissed any offer by the BRF of protection after the divorce. At the time of her death, she didn't exactly hold the royal family in any kind of high esteem and would have planned her life as her own and possibly could have seen any kind of involvement from the BRF or its staff as "controlling" or "interfering"

The more I think about it, the involvement of the Lord Chamberlain in putting together a funeral quickly stemmed from Charles' involvement in everything from the moment he realized that Diana had been killed in Paris. If he had been the type of ex-husband that had totally put her out of sight and out of mind, he wouldn't have done all the things he did for Diana at the time along with being there for his sons. He didn't have to accompany Diana's sisters to Paris to bring Diana home but he wanted to. To me, that showed the integrity Charles, the man, has and the respect he held for his ex-wife.

It very easily could have just been all totally handed over to the Spencers to do what they will. The BRF weren't required to step in but they did to assure that Diana was afforded a funeral that included everyone down to the public masses that mourned her.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Aristocracy

How many members of the royal family are there in total?
Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
How many members of the royal family are there in total?
Neither the British monarchy nor British law have ever clearly designated who is or is not classified as a "member of the royal family".
Old 11-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well many many many, but the royal's official has links to bios for the following on their website:

HM The Queen
Philip
Charles
Camilla
William
Kate
George
Charlotte
Louis
Harry
Meghan
Andrew
Edward
Sophie
Anne
The Duke of Gloucester
The Duchess of Gloucester
The Duke of Kent
The Duchess of Kent
Princess Alexandra of Kent
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent

Of course, this really is just a list of HRH's and misses out the Queen's grandchildren (except Will and Harry) and her great grandchildren (apart from Will's children).
I suspect this indicates whilst others from those listed are of course members of the Queen's family they are not considered members of the Royal Family in an official sense.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

I have an example which might clarify who’s regarded as a member of the royal family. Would Zara Tindall as an example have to ask permission from the Queen and Foreign office when ever she goes abroad in the line of work? This is because I know members of the royal family have to follow this protocol whenever they go abroad except for private holidays. Therefore, I wonder how many members of the Queen’s family have to comply with this?
Old 11-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

While not official, I would say that the any 'royal highness' by definition is part of the 'royal family'; and I don't see a reason to extend that definition to those who are not royal highnesses (the only ones who could be debated imo are non-royal spouses of royal highnesses - it seems that they don't really count but in practice they do represent the queen at times).