The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

We aren't doing/saying anything bad about Marina, we are expressing our opinions, which is our right seeing as she is an extended member of the BRF. Why should we leave them alone? It is highly unlikely that they every read this forum.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
I remember the story about Marina being on welfare. I figured it was total crap. After all her family is VERY wealthy. I also thought, well maybe for a while after the divorce she needed benefits to stay independent--not have to crawl to the family or something. After all, if she has worked, she's paid in so to speak. I think she's very interesting--and so likely her kids are too. Marina's distant cousins the Lascelles [Lord Harewood's sons and grandsons] are mostly in the music industry, one of the Gloucester girls worked behind the scenes in film, so it's interesting to see what the "minor" royals do when not on the balcony at Trooping the Colour!
I had read versions of the story about Marina being on welfare after her marriage and giving negative interviews to press abut her parents. My understanding that her financial downfall made it to the British press. Also I had read that Prince Charles intervened with Princess Alexandra (not sure if Mr. Ogilvy was still alive then) to bring her daughter back into the fold. He was supposedly adamant (and has a good relationship with Princess A) about the fact that even a member (even if a bit further down the inheritence line)of the royal family whose parents are solvent should NOT be on public assistance. Kudos to Prince Charles for engineering the reconciliation if it's true.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Isn't Charles also Marina's godfather?

Regardless of the welfare story, I am glad that Marina is doing well. Although she grew up in the royal family (albeit a minor one) it must have been hard growing up the daughter of Alexandra and the grand daughter of Marina.

Yes, she had some public trying times but she has appeared to have done a decent job of learning from her public trials and raising her children in a positive way. Kudos to her. She could have continued her destruction path following the fight with her parents but I am glad that all parties have moved on and have a positive relationship once again.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Regardless of the welfare story, I am glad that Marina is doing well. Although she grew up in the royal family (albeit a minor one) it must have been hard growing up the daughter of Alexandra and the grand daughter of Marina.
Why should that have been hard, if you don't mind my asking? Princess Alexandra has been a perfect mother to her children. James and Marina are well-bred.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Administrator

I think its hard for anyone who grows up with a well known/famous parent. People are constantly comparing you to your parent, and your sucess and failures are often compared to theirs. So I can see how a child of the 80's, who is royal and yet not royal could find it difficult to find her place.

You must remember that at the time of Marina's birth and pretty much until the arrival of Diana and Sarah, Alexandra was much more well known and respected member of the Royal Family than she is today. According to a friend, stories used to appear regularly in the British papers during the 60's and 70's about Alexandra, Katharine of Kent as well as Princess Margaret like they appeared in the 80's and 90's about Sarah and Diana and now for William and Harry. Alexandra is still well known but she is well known to mainly to an older generation who remembers Alexandra as a young beautiful Princess who at first accompanied her mother, Princess Marina at her engagements and then later began to do engagements on her own. Marina was also well known for her beauty, fashion sense and the fact that her husband died in WWII and was popular when she first arrived in England (as she was a Princess of Greece albeit in exile) until her death in 1968.

So that's a lot to be compared to. Plus Alexandra is old school and while I am certain she loves her daughter, she is has been taught since birth (by Marina) to remember that she is a Princess and must act accordingly. So I am guessing that the Marina scandal of the 90's was a true headache for Alexandra. As much as she probably regretted the estrangement from her daughter, she was also embarassed by the bad publicity and how it affected the BRF.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Nobility

The abusive marriage that Marina was in must have been very traumatic for her but the abuse was very definitely NOT her fault. Domestic abuse is always the perpetrator's fault.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Marina was in an abusive marriage?

Tags
christian mowatt, marina mowatt, zenouska mowatt