The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Not that I believe in reincarnation or anything, but sometimes I see parallels between Princess Michael and Elizabeth Woodville: an ambitious and beautiful commoner who set her sights high and had high ambitions for her children.

Old 07-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Royal Highness

That is an interesting comparison Elspeth. Elizabeth Woodville wouldn't submit to Edward IV unless he married her. His hormones got the best of him and he married her!!

Not only was she ambitious for her children, but for all of the Woodville family. Didn't she marry a male relative off to an elderly wealthy widow???

Old 07-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Among other things, yes. Colourful character, Elizabeth Woodville! Not that I'm suggesting that Princess Michael is anywhere near that irresponsible, just that she seems to have a great deal of ambition.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Not that I believe in reincarnation or anything, but sometimes I see parallels between Princess Michael and Elizabeth Woodville: an ambitious and beautiful commoner who set her sights high and had high ambitions for her children.
Do you mean commoner as opposed to royal or as opposed to aristocrat? Because if it's the later, she was a baroness.

Tiarapin, though I don't deny she's really grand, half of the stories appearing on her in the press are invented, altered or totally nonobjective. As a matter of fact British press hates her, and when they hate someone...
To me, she would not make the top 5 of Royals who embarrass the monarchy (the "real" Windsor are actually the best at it, IMO).
Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

I mean commoner as opposed to royal. Elizabeth Woodville was aristorcracy rather than peasantry herself.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Nobility

Pss Michael is very well connected bloodwise. She's probably as extensively connected royally in the blood department as Prince Michael is.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
Pss Michael is very well connected bloodwise. She's probably as extensively connected royally in the blood department as Prince Michael is.
Indeed. She's for example a direct descendant of Catherine of Medici on whom she wrote a book. I think her mother was the one with the blue blood in her family, from one of the most prestigious Hungarian family. But her dad is still a commoner (i.e. non-royal)
Old 08-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Her father was a baron and her mother a Countess Szapary by birth. Her maternal grandmother was a Windisch-Graetz.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel

Tiarapin, though I don't deny she's really grand, half of the stories appearing on her in the press are invented, altered or totally nonobjective. As a matter of fact British press hates her, and when they hate someone...
To me, she would not make the top 5 of Royals who embarrass the monarchy (the "real" Windsor are actually the best at it, IMO).
While I do not deny the "real" Windsors are good at embarrassing themselves (Charles comes to mind), I still feel Princess Michael is a gold digger who married Prince Michael of Kent just to get an HRH. While Prince Michael doesn't have the money she would wish for, she got the HRH and that gives her pleasure to no end. She doesn't like anyone who is not of the elite class. She would never stoop to speak to an American commoner like myself unless it served her best interests.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
You are joking, right?? That woman is utterly too snobby and all her exploits have undoubtedly affected her children. As Her Majesty has been quoted as saying about her "She is much to grand for us."

Viscount Linley, when asked in the 80's about what gift he would give his worst enemy, he replied "Dinner with Princess Michael."
I was half-joking. And, as someone has been following her 'career' since the early days, I don't think she's half as bad as she is often made out to be. You are taking the Queen's remarks out of context. They weren't made in relation to anything Pushy did or said. Rather, they were made in response to Lord Mountbatten who was going on and on about Pushy's illustrious background in order to sell the marriage to the Queen. The exact quote was " She sounds much to grand for us".

With respect to Lord Linley, I think his comment (and it was lunch, not dinner, IIRC) was plain rude & highly inappropriate. There was animosity between the two families because of tiffs at Kensington Palace, IIRC. In any case, Prince Michael had a 'word' with him after the fact.

AFAIC, if he really wanted to punish someone he should have given them lunch with his chain-smoking, self-absorbed (not to mention cradle robbing) mother, "The Princess Margaret". At least Princess Michael is intelligent & educated, unlike most of the Windsors. Thus lunch with her would at least be stimulating and entertaining.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:58 AM
Royal Highness

I agree Princess Margaret is not a shining example of royalty. She was a snob. She was spoiled. She did many immoral things (and people judge Diana to be worse than Margaret?).

However, Princess Michael is not a shining example either. I think Lord Linley's comment quite amusing. It is my belief that many in the family think the way he does.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
While I do not deny the "real" Windsors are good at embarrassing themselves (Charles comes to mind), I still feel Princess Michael is a gold digger who married Prince Michael of Kent just to get an HRH. While Prince Michael doesn't have the money she would wish for, she got the HRH and that gives her pleasure to no end. She doesn't like anyone who is not of the elite class. She would never stoop to speak to an American commoner like myself unless it served her best interests.
That's just not true. In fact, she has quite a few American commoner friends, and where do you get the idea that she doesn't like anyone who is not of the elite class? Is this your opinion or are you stating this as fact? If the latter can you back it up with substantive proof. I'm not coming down on you, I' m just inerested & curious to see why you've formed such an opinion.

As for her being a gold digger who married Michael for his money and title, I think this is an outlandish statement. Sorry. You, of course, are entitled to your opinion, but again I would ask for proof to support your statement. AFAIC, they have a very happy marriage, and as he told Linely, she's the woman he *loves*. *He* married her because he wanted to & had a family with her because he wanted to.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:10 AM
Royal Highness

I should have been clearer--middle class and poor American Commoners. Uh, I believe all her American Commoner friends have the money to lend her to keep her in the style she wishes, and they get the credit for being friends with a royal.

I do not doubt Prince Michael's love for his wife. I think he is a good man. Princess Michael I do not like and YES it is my opinion.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:18 AM
Royal Highness

I don't doubt the good qualities of Prince Michael. Lady Gabriella also seems to have come out unscathed by her mother. It makes me wonder if Lord Frederick has had the problems he has had because of his mother. Even Her Majesty, it has to be admitted, was not a great mother. It is sad.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Nobility

I am glad we are finally having a sensible discussion abount Princess Michael.

In over twenty years of following the Royal Family I can't remember reading ANYTHING positive about this person. Indeed she has always come across more as a cartoon character than an actual human being.

In the popular press Princess Michael of Kent usually appears as someone who is almost a byword for evil. So far she has been said to be greedy; snobbish; racist; a Nazi; devoid of love for her husband other than his title; had affairs with billionaires; obsessed with making rich marraiges for her children and sacking a cancer sufferer. This isn't a person it is a caricature.

In any account given by her husband, children and friends (yes, she actually has quite a few) she comes across as a warm and adored lynchpin in a family of four who loves her spouse and offspring as much as they do her.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:38 AM
Nobility

Well, that aside, the woman looks like she's in her 30s still. I hope my body's as gravity-defying as hers seems to be when I'm only enough to recieve social security.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Serene Highness

Here some pics I found in the Storm Model agency website (as Freddie is a member of this agency).
Sorry, the pics are really little.

Below is his z-card (his model ID card)

height:6' 1" / 185.42 cm
chest:40" / 101.6 cm
waist:32" / 81.28 cm
shoes:11
hair colour:Brown Dark
hair length:Short
eyes:Green
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2ahcp.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	179411   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ahcn.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	179412   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ahco.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	179413   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ahcm.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	179414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2ahcl.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	179415   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ahck.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	179416   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ahch.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	179417  
Old 08-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Here some pics I found in the Storm Model agency website (as Freddie is a member of this agency).
I am sorry, this guy looks really strange. His eyes I don't know how to describe it. They are so big and shocking blue!!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

I was thinking the same thing. In the 19the century he'd probably have been able to set up shop as a hypnotist with that mesmerising glare.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
I am sorry, this guy looks really strange. His eyes I don't know how to describe it. They are so big and shocking blue!!
His model ID card says his eyes are green. Perhaps he was wearing contact lenses?

I think his big photograph (the one with the eyeliner) emphasizes the eyes deliberately -- sort of that "heroin chic" which was popular for a few years.

Tags
lord frederick windsor, sophie winkleman