Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor and Family News 1: July 2005-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The way they're smiling and standing, it's as if they've never seen a camera before and they're making the most of it.

^^ ah ah ah. Now that you pointed it out, I can see a bit of it in him but not at all in her

Not a good picture at all. They look like they are playing dress up in their parent's clothes. They looked better at the Prussian wedding.

I read up on Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor after reading these posts. He and his family live in Italy. He is now 41. The rest of it you have in your other posts. One other thing, some of the children of his older brother also converted to Catholicism.

I suppose it is possible that Lord Nicholas has one of the royal maladies, Porphyria, and that this was what caused some of the illness that people have posted earlier. Porphs (people with porph) often become semi-reclusive, for the simple reason that the world is full of "triggers" which can bring on a porphyria attack. Therefore they tend to go out seldom--Nicholas has been photographed going to to several Royal Family and German events recently. It may be that if he has this disease it is under control. And one way to control it is to live as he does, a peaceful rural life (but without the pesticides and herbicides of commercial food growing, which are triggers).
Another factor which might indicate this illness is his pallor. Porphs are often pale, not always from anemia, but because they avoid sun. They tend to break out in lesions when exposed to too much sun. The Porphyria mutation which his Glouster cousin had does produce facial lesions sometimes but not always.
These things are said not to demean but to applaud him, if he has this struggle. A courageous being. The religious intensity could also be a way he has dealt with such a stealthy and life-altering disease, if he has it. Possibly his siblings and were also motivated in this way. Adversity makes some people reach for spiritual help rather than a pill or a bottle; and in the case of a person with porphyria, most of the pills and all of the alcohol bottles are verboten ways to seek solace; they will bring on attacks (not all pills, just many).

Last edited:
I doubt changing religion had anything to do with this disease he may or may not have. The fact that he prefers a quiet life and looks pale is slim to diagnose a man with such a serious disease.
Not everyone in the BRF can be linked to porphyria.

I did read somewhere, that Nicholas and his mother the duchess suffer from celiac, which causes a person to be anemic, could be th reason he is pale

Wonderful surprise and rare to see: Lord and Lady Nicholas attended the wedding of Prince Georg Friedrich von Preussen and Princess Sophie in Germany today and brought their two little boys Albert and Leopold with them!
** Pic **
Wonderful pic!

Last edited by a moderator:
If lord Nicholas suffers from this kind of disease, then lord Freddie Windsor is as well ill for sure, only because the very pale skin.

Yes, Lumetqueen, I tried to remove my post about Lord Nicholas, thinking it was too personal. But it would not remove. I am new here and don't know how to make everything work
I was certainly not diagnosing Lord Nicholas on reading about him and seeing pictures,
as I am not a doctor. I was just suggesting a possibility, and today reading on the family tree, I find that he IS on the same tree as the royal who had porphyria, the brother of the Duke of Gloucester. Since 50% get get it (or if they don't get it, then the gene is cancelled in that line) it is always a possibility. Anyway, if you can find a way for a Mod to remove this, if you think it is too personal, fine with me. I am a student of Porphyria and my doctors say I know more about it than they do here in my state of the USA. But not a doctor. It is underdiagnosed and some of us would like to see more knowledge about it put out there. If any royal would put it out there, it would be a great service to mankind, to start removing the ignorance about it. It can be helped. So it is good to know what's happening.

Lord Nicholas was in Melbourne Australia today & speaking at an anti abortion protest march. Was quite surprised at first to see him but have seen now it appears he is quite outspoken on the subject. Quite a long way to come to air his views in front of a small gathering of a few thousand people but then again it did make the evening news here so it'll probably get some coverage overseas too.

Lord Nicholas was in Melbourne Australia today & speaking at an anti abortion protest march. Was quite surprised at first to see him but have seen now it appears he is quite outspoken on the subject. Quite a long way to come to air his views in front of a small gathering of a few thousand people but then again it did make the evening news here so it'll probably get some coverage overseas too.

Well, he is Catholic and gave up his place in the line of succession for his faith so it's no srprise to find that he adheres to Cathoic opinion on this topic.:flowers:

Well converts can be a bit more zealous than those born into a faith. Without his Windsor name I doubt if his attendance would have been noted at all or if he would even been asked to speak or attend/

Without the Windsor name, I doubt the Vatican would have made such a fuss about his marriage in the first place. Nicholas does appear to embrace his faith quite vigorously.

Without the Windsor name, I doubt the Vatican would have made such a fuss about his marriage in the first place. Nicholas does appear to embrace his faith quite vigorously.

I'm not sure, from what I've heard the church they married in can be used by anyone to get married and in this country nobody knows who Nicholas is. :)

I'm not sure, from what I've heard the church they married in can be used by anyone to get married and in this country nobody knows who Nicholas is. :)

You heard correctly. Anyone can use the church and maybe Italy doesn't know who Lord Nicholas Windsor is but the Vatican does :) :)

Hmmm. This makes me angry. He's not Australian and it's none of his confounded business what we do here. Your religious views don't give you the right to meddle in the personal lives of Australian women, and certainly not in our laws, Nicholas! We have enough trouble getting our own politicians to make their decisions based on what their constituents want and not on their own religious views; we certainly don't need pesky foreigners coming over here to stir things up.

Last edited:
Hmmm. This makes me angry. He's not Australian and it's none of his confounded business what we do here. Your religious views don't give you the right to meddle in the personal lives of Australian women, and certainly not in our laws, Nicholas! We have enough trouble getting our own politicians to make their decisions based on what their constituents want and not on their own religious views; we certainly don't need pesky foreigners coming over here to stir things up.

Hang on - seriously? He was speaking at an anti abortion march, to people who believe the same views as he does. It's like me going to my history lecture, and my history teacher talking to me. Nicholas was asked to speak at the conclusion of the March for the Babies by Bernie Finn apparently. He says it was a 'coup' to get him to talk.

Nicholas can talk to whomever he likes about his views, and to these people I bet he was just another guy who believed the same as they did. He's not going to change any laws by speaking, but if the Australian public want some abortion laws changing or what have you then I'm sure they'll be shouting from the rooftops with Nicholas or not.

Please don't use "pesky foreigner" for someone who's actually brave enough to speak their opinions to people. He's not marching to the press and saying all countries should ban abortion, what exactly is he stirring up by talking to people who have the same views as him?

Last edited:
Hang on - seriously?

Yes, seriously. I make no apology for my opinions on this subject. I'm biased. I strongly support the right to abortion and hate the idea of a woman's right to make her own decision on this subject being eroded because of someone else's moral or religious views, and I hate the idea that people think they have the right to do just that. Same with voluntary euthanasia. Hot issue, strong opinions. I'm entitled to mine, you are entitled to yours, and Nicholas is entitled to his, but he shouldn't be trying to change our laws and affect the rights of Australian women on this issue, and I'm willing to bet that was what he had in mind when speaking.

Such a emotional personal topic here, do we need to keep on about it ??? I agree you all our entitled to have views and strong ones but is this the place??? This can often get really out of hand BUT this is just my overview.

Do they really have to say "It's A Miracle?"

Lord Nicholas' son Albert is the first Windsor to have the first name of Albert since King George VI (Albert Frederick Arthur George).
According to some reports, Nicholas and Paola said Albert was named after Saint Albert the Great.

No, and chances are it is more likely science.

Not necessarily; 44-year old woman is still able to get pregnant naturally, especially for the third time. I heard even about a woman who conceived her fourth child at the age of 48.
Press is full of stories of type: "Menopausal? No, we were pregnant!"

I've been meaning to reply to this thread but keep on missing it, so here I am.
Congratulations to Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor! :flowers: It will be interesting to see if they give their little one another Victorian royal name or a more traditional one.

CyrilVladisla, thanks for the information on Albert. Your posts are always interesting and informative, I often learn new facts from them. I find it interesting how he was named after the saint and not the Prince Consort, as I've always thought that was the case. To add to your post, his nickname is Bertie, like George VI.

I've been meaning to reply to this thread but keep on missing it, so here I am.
Congratulations to Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor! :flowers: It will be interesting to see if they give their little one another Victorian royal name or a more traditional one.

CyrilVladisla, thanks for the information on Albert. Your posts are always interesting and informative, I often learn new facts from them. I find it interesting how he was named after the saint and not the Prince Consort, as I've always thought that was the case. To add to your post, his nickname is Bertie, like George VI.

HereditaryPrincess, Thank you.

The feastday of Saint Albert the Great in the Roman Catholic Church is November 15th.
He is the Patron Saint of Scientists.

Albert (c.1206-1208) was the son of the Count of Bollstadt.
Albert studied at the University of Padua.
He taught at the University of Paris. Here he received his doctorate in 1245.
He was very learned in biblical studies and theology.

Back
Top Bottom