The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor and family: July 2005-

What is the mystery about this man? I have heard that he has health problems (which no one ever speaks about).

I am also aware that he is a Catholic, although that wouldn't prevent him from being in the public eye.

Does anybody know what his story is?

Old 07-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

In one of the biographies of the Duchess of Kent, it said that Lord Nicholas suffered (or had suffered) from an eating disorder. I don't know what his current state of health is, though.

Old 07-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Courtier

He suffered from anorexia and may have battled depression. He's apparently recovered from his illness and seems to live in London. He had some (slight?) drug problems in the 80s, as well. He's involved with a Catholic charity that regards Charles I (the one who got his head chopped off) as a martyr. Other than Helen, the Kent's kids live private lives and are rarely photographed.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

It seems as if depression runs in that family. So I guess he is not in line to the throne.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

I would guess he gave up that right when he converted.

But it probably would never matter unless you had some kind of "King Ralph" situation, would it?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Courtier

Kate developed depression after losing two pregnancies, one through a medically required abortion and the other through stillbirth. Nicholas may have been the child the most affected by his mother's problems. He was still a child when Kate was suffering.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Royal Highness

There are only sketchy details about Lord Nicholas. I know he is the last child born to the Duchess in 1970 after his brother, the Earl of St. Andrews(1962), and Lady Helen Windsor (now Taylor) (1964). The Duchess has suffered from emotional problems due to miscarriages of children and possibly other reasons we do not know. The Duchess converted to Catholicism in the 1990's. Perhaps that is why Nicholas has become Catholic if the stories are true.

Nicholas was busted for possession of marijuana at university. After that, I have not heard really anything about him. I didn't even know he had an eating disorder until reading here. It seems he has had a rough time and the Royals have managed to keep it quiet since he is a minor royal. I hope he is well and enjoying life. I also wish the Duchess health and happiness.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

My curiosity about Lord Nicholas was caused by his regular non-appearance. I had thoughts that it might be the sort of situation they had with Prince John.

If he has had those difficulties in the past, I hope he is over them and enjoying his life.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Lady_Windsor, those links aren't working (at least, they aren't working for me). Could you convert them to thumbnails so we can see them?
The links are working. But still here the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52102926.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	171580   Click image for larger version

Name:	52104186.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	171581   Click image for larger version

Name:	52113255.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	171582  
Old 07-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

I know that he is present (sitting on his mother's lap because he was so young) for the family photograph taken to commemorate the Queen's 25th wedding anniversary in 1972.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Courtier

He was at the some fo the events surrounding the Queen Mum's funeral and probably attended the funeral itself. He's not hidden away, he just lives a private life, like his brother (who is only seen at Trooping the Colour and is otherwise in Cambridgeshire, where he lives).
Old 10-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Courtier

I see that Nicholas Windsor celebrated his 35th Birthday on the 23rd of October. Happy Birthday. Lord Nicholas certainly looks like his father.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
He was at the some fo the events surrounding the Queen Mum's funeral and probably attended the funeral itself. He's not hidden away, he just lives a private life, like his brother (who is only seen at Trooping the Colour and is otherwise in Cambridgeshire, where he lives).
Lord Nicholas Windsor used to live in York House. Does he still have apartments there even though Wills and Harry use it?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
... He's involved with a Catholic charity that regards Charles I (the one who got his head chopped off) as a martyr. ...
The Society of King Charles the Martyr, you mean? He is one of the patrons of that organisation, which, I think, is best described as Anglo-Catholic.

http://www.skcm.org/SKCM/History/history_skcm.html

The Society was founded as a strictly Anglican organisation in 1894; it was opened to the members of other Christian denominations only in 1993.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Courtier

I think that's what the charity is called, but I saw it described as Roman Catholic.

Nicholas has his own residence in London. There's at least one photo of him entering his house. It's white. So he's no longer at York House, (his parents now live at Wren House at Kensington Palace). And William & Harry have rooms at SJP, not KP.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:34 AM
Commoner

He was a page in Chuck and Di's wedding in 1981.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 PM

yeah.... he's the one I always forget. It was him and Edward van Cutsem, right? I remember several years ago, a royal watcher confided to me that Nicholas Windsor was very eager for an interview and sent [my friend, whose identiy I must protect, just in case revealing it might upset him] several faxes and phone calls in an effort to set up an interview. Nicholas, according to my friend, was very eager to tell "his story". I didn't and don't know what it all means, but this story remains in my memory, perhaps because of its sheer oddity. who knows.....
Old 09-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Member of the British royalty will marry in the Vatican
For the first time in more than four centuries, a member of the British Royal House will contract nuptials in the Vatican, according to reveals the newspaper “Daily Mail today”.

Queen Elizabeth II gave the authorization so that a cousin his, lord Nicholas Winsor, son of the Dukes of Kent turned to the catholicism, contracts in Rome the sacred bond, indicates the newspaper.
According to the newspaper, that a friend of the aristocrat mentions like source, he is imminent an announcement in that sense on the part of the Buckingham Palace.
Nicholas Windsor projects to marry in November with Paola Frankopan, Croatian born in Great Britain and part of the European nobility, says the newspaper

www.efe.es
Old 09-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Aristocracy

Who is Paola Frankopan? some image?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Something about the Frankopan family, courtesy Wikipedia:

The Frankopans are a Croatian-Dalmatian noble family. They ranked next to the Zrinskii family in importance by virtue of their power, wealth, fame, glory and role in Croatia's public life. Although their possessions were exposed to every assault both from the east and the west, their power increased steadily until the seventeenth century. The Zrinski and Frankopan families came into closer affinity by marriage ties until in the eyes of the European courts they had become the most important families of Croatia.

In the webpages of the Royal House of Bourbon Two Sicilies there is a story/pic of Lord Nicholas Windsor and TRH the Duke and Duchess of Calabria in connection with the Sacred Military Order of Constantine and St George.

Tags
albert windsor, lady nicholas windsor, lord nicholas windsor