The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Courtier

I guess the titles of Lord and Lady are not hereditary? I always thought if both parents had a title and if they had a child or children that the child would recieve a title even if they are in the line of succession or not. Congratulations to the happy couple on their marriage and their future arrival of their child I can't wait to hear about the gender of the baby and also the baby's name too.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 05-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Lord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

As a male line great-grandson of George V who holds no peerages, Lord Nicholas Windsor is styled as the child of a duke under the 1917 Letters Patent. This is simply a courtesy title without rank or precedence.

However, his children are simply Mister or Miss Windsor because their father has no titles.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 19.6.2007

Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor attended the opening of an exhibition of portraits by Barbara Kaczmarowska Hamilton in Warsaw Poland 06/19/2007

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Nobility

According to this article, Lord & Lady Windsor are using the National Health System, and there's a new photo:

"Will Lady Windsor be the first Royal to give birth in NHS hospital?"

Will Lady Windsor be the first Royal to give birth in NHS hospital? | the Daily Mail
Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

The Countess of Wessex (must) give a birth Louise in NHS hosital too.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
The Countess of Wessex (must) give a birth Louise in NHS hosital too.
But I think it was unplanned that she did so?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Nobility

Isn't Lady Windsor's due date coming up shortly??? Does anyone know?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:46 AM
Courtier

When the pregnancy was announced, I thought the announcement said August/September. Well, August is over, and we're halfway through September...surely we can except the baby any day now.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Commoner

I am intrigued because a search of the Almanac de Gotha will show the Frankopan de Duomi's are Holy Roman Princes as much as the Leichensteins. Why is then that she is not accorded the title of Princess Paola of Kent, as would be the norm, and not the usually used Lady Nicholas Windsor? Did they sign something at the same time as his relinquishing his right to the throne on marriage? Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Courtier

Since George V changed a law in 1917, only children and grandchildren of a monarch are permitted to use the title and style of Royal Highness, Prince/ss of Great Britain and Northern Ireland/Prince of insert father's title here. Since Nicholas isn't the grandson of a monarch, only the great-grandson, he doesn't have that title, only the title of the son of a duke. If George V hadn't changed the law, he would be His Highness Prince Nicholas of Kent, since before the change, great-grandchildren were given the style of Highness, Prince/ss of insert father's title here. That would be how Paola would be known as Princess Paola of Kent, but since the law was changed, that isn't the case.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Thora View Post
I am intrigued because a search of the Almanac de Gotha will show the Frankopan de Duomi's are Holy Roman Princes as much as the Leichensteins. Why is then that she is not accorded the title of Princess Paola of Kent, as would be the norm, and not the usually used Lady Nicholas Windsor? Did they sign something at the same time as his relinquishing his right to the throne on marriage? Any ideas?
Because she was born Paola Doimi di Delupis. Her father added the surname of Frankopan by British deed poll. The Croation Nobility Association disputes the family's use of the Frankopan surname, claiming there is no evidence to support it.

The surname of 'Doimi di Delupis de Frankopan ' is thus an artifical and very recent creation and doesn't appear in my copy of the Almanach de Gotha.
For more details, see here.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM

I have a theoretical question. I am intrigued by Duke of Thora's post. If Lord Nicholas Windsor had married a Princess of, say, Liechtenstein (hypothetically, say "HSH Princess X of Liechtenstein") how would she be styled upon marriage? HSH Princess X Windsor or HSH Princess X of Kent?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 AM

Well, she'd become Lady Nicholas Windsor I imagine as we don't allow morganatic marriage here. He couldn't be Lord Nicholas married to HSH Princess of Liechtenstein. At least I don't think so. If he was a Prince on the other hand, she'd have the right to use Princess X of Kent as she'd been a Princess in her own right prior to marriage.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Serene Highness

Wouldn't she just remain Princess X of Liechtenstein? Her title would trump his in all regards, especially as he has renounced his rights to the throne. Maybe Princess X of Liechtenstein, Lady Nicholas Windsor ala Princess Margaret. Good question, though!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Right, it's confusing, isn't it? It was easy in the case of Prince George and Princess Marina because they had the Dukedom of Kent. But with Lord Nicholas Windsor, how would it work? Lord Nicholas and Princess X Windsor?
I think it's possible what kimebear suggests: HSH Princess X of Liechtenstein, Lady Nicholas Windsor. Somehow it doesn't seem right, though. I guess it's because this precise thing has never happened. A Roman Catholic HSH marrying a Lord Windsor, that is.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Wouldn't she just remain Princess X of Liechtenstein? Her title would trump his in all regards, especially as he has renounced his rights to the throne. Maybe Princess X of Liechtenstein, Lady Nicholas Windsor ala Princess Margaret. Good question, though!
Her title would certainly trump his, as he doesn't have one; he has a courtesy style (Lord, as the younger son of a Duke) and a surname. Just as Princess Alexandra is formally HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy, if Lord Nicholas married a Princess in her own right she could be known as HSH Princess xxx, Lady Nicholas Windsor.

That leads to the question as to whether she would have to drop parts of her style and title of HSH Princess von und zu Liechtenstein if she applied for British citzenship.

A small point, but Lord Nicholas didn't renounce his rights. In accordance with the terms of the Act of Settlement he automatically became ineligible to succeed to the Crown when he professed the Roman Catholic religion. Being removed from the Line of Succession has no flow-on effects regarding position or status.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks Warren! Informative as always
Old 09-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Oh yes, that makes complete sense, Warren. About the question of citizenship, if she was a Princess of Liechtenstein, she could be a descendent of Electress Sophia of Hannover, which would automatically make her a British citizen, right? Just like the case of Prince Philip, who went to all that trouble changing his name for no reason, except of course to throw of the smudge of having a country with a right wing gov't (at the time) in his title.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Well the nessecity to get British citizenship has, by and large, been replaced by EU citizenship. A Princess of Liechtenstein would be able to live and work in Britain with no real need to aquire British citizenship - something she'd get upon marriage to Lord Nicholas anyway.

Tags
albert windsor, lady nicholas windsor, lord nicholas windsor