Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor and Family News 1: July 2005-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since George V changed a law in 1917, only children and grandchildren of a monarch are permitted to use the title and style of Royal Highness, Prince/ss of Great Britain and Northern Ireland/Prince of insert father's title here. Since Nicholas isn't the grandson of a monarch, only the great-grandson, he doesn't have that title, only the title of the son of a duke. If George V hadn't changed the law, he would be His Highness Prince Nicholas of Kent, since before the change, great-grandchildren were given the style of Highness, Prince/ss of insert father's title here. That would be how Paola would be known as Princess Paola of Kent, but since the law was changed, that isn't the case.

I am intrigued because a search of the Almanac de Gotha will show the Frankopan de Duomi's are Holy Roman Princes as much as the Leichensteins. Why is then that she is not accorded the title of Princess Paola of Kent, as would be the norm, and not the usually used Lady Nicholas Windsor? Did they sign something at the same time as his relinquishing his right to the throne on marriage? Any ideas?
Because she was born Paola Doimi di Delupis. Her father added the surname of Frankopan by British deed poll. The Croation Nobility Association disputes the family's use of the Frankopan surname, claiming there is no evidence to support it.

The surname of 'Doimi di Delupis de Frankopan ' is thus an artifical and very recent creation and doesn't appear in my copy of the Almanach de Gotha.
For more details, see here.

I have a theoretical question. I am intrigued by Duke of Thora's post. If Lord Nicholas Windsor had married a Princess of, say, Liechtenstein (hypothetically, say "HSH Princess X of Liechtenstein") how would she be styled upon marriage? HSH Princess X Windsor or HSH Princess X of Kent?

Well, she'd become Lady Nicholas Windsor I imagine as we don't allow morganatic marriage here. He couldn't be Lord Nicholas married to HSH Princess of Liechtenstein. At least I don't think so. If he was a Prince on the other hand, she'd have the right to use Princess X of Kent as she'd been a Princess in her own right prior to marriage.

Wouldn't she just remain Princess X of Liechtenstein? Her title would trump his in all regards, especially as he has renounced his rights to the throne. Maybe Princess X of Liechtenstein, Lady Nicholas Windsor ala Princess Margaret. Good question, though!

Last edited:
Right, it's confusing, isn't it? It was easy in the case of Prince George and Princess Marina because they had the Dukedom of Kent. But with Lord Nicholas Windsor, how would it work? Lord Nicholas and Princess X Windsor?
I think it's possible what kimebear suggests: HSH Princess X of Liechtenstein, Lady Nicholas Windsor. Somehow it doesn't seem right, though. I guess it's because this precise thing has never happened. A Roman Catholic HSH marrying a Lord Windsor, that is.

Wouldn't she just remain Princess X of Liechtenstein? Her title would trump his in all regards, especially as he has renounced his rights to the throne. Maybe Princess X of Liechtenstein, Lady Nicholas Windsor ala Princess Margaret. Good question, though!
Her title would certainly trump his, as he doesn't have one; he has a courtesy style (Lord, as the younger son of a Duke) and a surname. Just as Princess Alexandra is formally HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy, if Lord Nicholas married a Princess in her own right she could be known as HSH Princess xxx, Lady Nicholas Windsor.

That leads to the question as to whether she would have to drop parts of her style and title of HSH Princess von und zu Liechtenstein if she applied for British citzenship.

A small point, but Lord Nicholas didn't renounce his rights. In accordance with the terms of the Act of Settlement he automatically became ineligible to succeed to the Crown when he professed the Roman Catholic religion. Being removed from the Line of Succession has no flow-on effects regarding position or status.

Thanks Warren! Informative as always:flowers:

Oh yes, that makes complete sense, Warren. About the question of citizenship, if she was a Princess of Liechtenstein, she could be a descendent of Electress Sophia of Hannover, which would automatically make her a British citizen, right? Just like the case of Prince Philip, who went to all that trouble changing his name for no reason, except of course to throw of the smudge of having a country with a right wing gov't (at the time) in his title.

Well the nessecity to get British citizenship has, by and large, been replaced by EU citizenship. A Princess of Liechtenstein would be able to live and work in Britain with no real need to aquire British citizenship - something she'd get upon marriage to Lord Nicholas anyway.

Oh yes, that makes complete sense, Warren. About the question of citizenship, if she was a Princess of Liechtenstein, she could be a descendent of Electress Sophia of Hannover, which would automatically make her a British citizen, right? (at the time) in his title.

CasiraghiTrio
This is really interesting. I did not know that the Prince of Liechtenstein was also a direct descendent of the Electress Sophia of Hannover.

CasiraghiTrio
This is really interesting. I did not know that the Prince of Liechtenstein was also a direct descendent of the Electress Sophia of Hannover.

You misunderstood me. I don't know if it's the case. I said they could be descendents considering how the European royal and noble houses have a funny way of being each other's cousins. ;)

it wouldn't be the first time a member of the extended royal family delayed the birth announcement, remember the earl and countess of Ulster didnt announce they had their son until april 5th and the baby was born march 12th

I figured that was because the Earl and Countess are very private. You rarely see them in the public eye. Lord and Lady Nicholas seem very much in the public, including their engagement and wedding, and some of the recent pictures of them at events, I just assumed the birth announcement would come sooner.

After all, the announcement about the Countess of St. Andrews's pregnancy came like three months before Xan was born, whereas Paola's was relatively early!

Albert Windsor, first son and first child of Lord Nicholas and Lady Windsor, nee Paola Doimi de Francopan was born in London on September 22nd.

Source: Marlene on Royalsportal

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured that was because the Earl and Countess are very private. You rarely see them in the public eye. Lord and Lady Nicholas seem very much in the public, including their engagement and wedding, and some of the recent pictures of them at events, I just assumed the birth announcement would come sooner.

After all, the announcement about the Countess of St. Andrews's pregnancy came like three months before Xan was born, whereas Paola's was relatively early!

You mean the Countess of Ulster, Claire. She is the mother of Xan.

Oops, you're right, Countess of Ulster :)

I'm glad that Nicholas chose a historical name for his son. It's been ages since there was an Albert in the family (not since George VI, I think) so it's wonderful to have the name living on in the family. Now, maybe if the Wessexes have a girl, they'll name her Victoria (or even a boy called Victor) since Albert is probably out of the running now :)

The interesting part from Lady Bluffton's Hello! link:

Albert, who arrived 12 days ago when Cambridge-educated Paola gave birth at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, is 26th in line to the throne - but only until he is baptised as a Roman Catholic. Then, like his father, who six years ago emulated his mother the Duchess of Kent by converting to Catholicism, Albert will forfeit his royal succession.

Albert is also the first royal descendant of George V to bear the surname Windsor but no courtesy title.

Albert's full name (according to this weeks issue of Hello) is:

Albert Philip Louis Edward Windsor

Albert Windsor, first son and first child of Lord Nicholas and Lady Windsor, nee Paola Doimi de Francopan was born in London on September 22nd.

Source: Marlene on Royalsportal

Are we sure it was 22nd September, not 23rd?

when i was in london on thursday i was standing at the lights on cromwell and glouchester road and lady nicholas windsor was beside me with their son albert. he is a delightful baby
i was wondering do the couple live in the kensington and chelsea area??

when i was in london on thursday i was standing at the lights on cromwell and glouchester road and lady nicholas windsor was beside me with their son albert. he is a delightful baby

Lucky you...right place at the right time I suppose! I guess Paola will go unnoticed much of the time as she isn't really in the public eye.

So, did you speak to her?:)

i really wanted to go and sya hello and ask could i see albert but i thought it might be rude so i just watched her instead!!!

i really wanted to go and sya hello and ask could i see albert but i thought it might be rude so i just watched her instead!!!

Hey, you get points for recognizing her! I never recognize famous or semi-famous people in public, at least not in time. Usually I just realize it moments too late and think, "shoot, shoot, I didn't get a good look!" :D

That's awesome though.

Thank you, Florencia, for showing the Daily Mail picture. It's adorable. I love baby hats! :wub:

Back
Top Bottom