The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Courtier

Regarding this, I agree more with Iluvbertie than with Ish. I believe George VI had no intention of making Margaret's children HRHs. If he really wanted, he would have included them in 1948 LP, or atleast made it clear to EII to carry out his wishes when time comes..
George VI honoured the LPs of his father and the traditional styling very much. Thats why he steadfastly refused to make Elizabeth Princess of Wales, even though many suggested it could help quell Welsh nationalism. He had very high regard for that title and wanted it to be reserved only for wife of the PoW..
And as for making Charles and Anne HRH, he dallied that too till the last moment (month), and since it would be a huge embarassment that 2nd in line is a 'mere' Lord, he gave in..

Old 09-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Majesty

I think we must also remember that his own sister's children weren't HRH Prince/Princess so he would have created some issues between his only sister and himself if he had made ALL his grandchildren HRH while her children, also grandchildren of a monarch were only styled as the children of an Earl.

I don't think he would have made Margaret's children HRH at all and for that very reason - he respected the decision of his father over the difference between boys and girls in the family and only changed the LPs because he didn't want his grandchildren being styled as mere children of a Duke - and using the name Mountbatten to boot - his mother and wife weren't that keen on Louis so that would have been an issue as well.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, yeah. I'm not trying to say that he would have created Margaret's children HRHs, but rather that he didn't set out to not create them. The lack of HRHs among Margaret's children is because QEII chose not to issue LPs to create them as such, not because George VI decided otherwise.

The BRF is typically reactionary instead of proactive - even the 1937 LPs were as much reactionary to various circumstances at the time as proactively trying to address future situations. It's rare for a monarch to issue LPs to address a situation that isn't currently relevant. In 1948, the issue of Margaret having children (with or without titles) wasn't on the docket, therefore KGVI wasn't likely to issue LPs regarding them, regardless of his thoughts on the matter.

As for whether he would have issued such LPs had he been alive in 1960, I do agree that it would have been unlikely - as much because of the break from the 1937 LPs as because of who Margaret had become by that point. That said, he had the unique position of being one of the few, if not the only, British monarchs to only have had daughters. Unlike the majority of his predecessors the future of his line was through female descent so he may have wanted Margaret's children to carry on some of that line. I'm not saying that's what he thought, just that we don't know - and that we can't say that his not issuing broader LPs in 1948 means that he didn't intend on issuing LPs to cover Margaret's children when they came up.

It's just like... Last year the Queen issued LPs to cover all of the future children of Prince William. Her failure to not broaden the LPs to cover Harry's children doesn't mean that she doesn't intend to do so when Harry's married and his wife is pregnant (assuming she's still monarch then). Nor does her having done so for William's children mean that she will do do for Harry's in the future. We don't know what's going on in her head on the matter, just like we don't know what went on in GVI's head on the matter.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:13 AM
Serene Highness

The more immediate need was to deal with William's children since he is the married one and having kids in the queen's reign. Once the queen dies, it is a moot point because all of Charles's grandchildren becomes HRH due to William and Harry being boys. Also with the new law, if George was a girl, she would be lady name Mountbatten Windsor but be direct line for the throne without the queen's new LPs and if a boy came next he would be a Hrh but not heir since the George V LPs limits to the eldest son to the eldest son of the PoW.

In 1948, their were 4 young princes and a young princess from the King's brothers so there wasn't a lack of future HRHs . When Margaret got married in 1960, Tony turned done the peerage offered to him by the Queen but took it when she got pregnant with David.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Aristocracy

Am I the only one who recognises a vague similarity between Lord Freddie and Thomas Barrow from Downtown Abbey?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Pictures:
Lord & Lady Frederick Windsor with Baby Maud and Grandparents:
Royal Kents
Nice blog, thanks for sharing!
Maud is adorable and Sophie looks so sweet. I have never been a fan of her beauty, apparently pregnancy suits her!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Commoner

I love this young family! I was worried about Freddie for a while when he was in his party boy years, without a proper job. I'm glad he seems to have founded a stable, loving family with Sophie.

The pictures of the family are beyond lovely; professional but personal, and so superior to George's pictures.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Aristocracy

Im also happy he had a happy ending. What a great way to shut down the naysayers: )
Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

According to Majesty Magazine, baby Maud will be christened in the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace in November this year (2013):

Majesty Magazine - The Quality Royal Magazine

NB: angieuk has posted this in the thread about Prince George's christening, but I thought it would be better if it were posted in this thread as it's more on-topic here.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Good to hear that Maud's christening is approaching! She & little George could become good friends one day!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyoune have any info on Maud Windor's christening and the names of godparents?

I guess someone from Goldsmith family will be among godparents.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Does anyoune have any info on Maud Windor's christening and the names of godparents?

I guess someone from Goldsmith family will be among godparents.
In this month's Magesty magazine Princess Michael says the christening will take place the day before the Queen's Christmas party at BP in the Chapel Royal so that should be in a couple of weeks time.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
In this month's Magesty magazine Princess Michael says the christening will take place the day before the Queen's Christmas party at BP in the Chapel Royal so that should be in a couple of weeks time.
Thank you for the information.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

MOS DIARY: Sophie Winkleman gets pushed out of the kitchen by her mother-in-law the princess | Mail Online
Old 12-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just found on Twitter

Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor's daughter, Maud, was christened at the Chapel Royal, St James's Palace this afternoon.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine 3m
Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor's daughter, Maud, was christened at the Chapel Royal, St James's Palace this afternoon. #royal

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

More information

Maud wore the Royal Christening Robe, the hand-made replica of the Victorian Christening gown which was commissioned by The Queen in 2008.

This robe was first worn by Viscount Severn, son of the Earl and Countess of Wessex, and most recently by Prince George of Cambridge.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nice that she was christened in the same place as Prince George. The christening gown must look so lovely on the babies, but I imagine it "drowns" the wearer at times. Prince Harry was so small when he was christened in it, but when James was christened he looked huge in it!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Royals return to St James's Palace chapel as Lord Freddie Windsor and Sophie Winkleman's daughter Maud is christened | Mail Online
Old 12-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Nice that she was christened in the same place as Prince George. The christening gown must look so lovely on the babies, but I imagine it "drowns" the wearer at times. Prince Harry was so small when he was christened in it, but when James was christened he looked huge in it!
I don't think James wore it, he was quite big when he was christened.

His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?

Tags
lady frederick windsor, lord frederick windsor, sophie winkleman