Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor and Family News and Events 1: Sep 2009- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to the new parents.

Does little Maud have a title? Is she styled as Lady or as The Honourable?

Do we know how close Frederick and William are? It would be sweet if Maudy and George could be buds:flowers:

Do we know how close Frederick and William are? It would be sweet if Maudy and George could be buds:flowers:

Well currently they are 5500 miles apart, so its unlikely :lol:

And William and Frederik never seemed very close

The child's name is Maud - not Maudy.

Very interesting name. Perhaps they liked the 1970's hit TV show 'Maude' and drew a little inspiration. Anyways, congrats to them and now everyone will look to Mike & Zara birth next year.

Very interesting name. Perhaps they liked the 1970's hit TV show 'Maude' and drew a little inspiration. Anyways, congrats to them and now everyone will look to Mike & Zara birth next year.

I think it is more likely to be Princess Maud of Wales, E7's daughter and later Queen of Norway - the programme you mention is American.

Yeah I know. Just trying to be a little silly.

Maud is a very lovely name, one of my own personal favourites. If she's named after Queen Maud of Norway, I think it's a nice tribute. Apparently she was a very funny and intelligent person. I also love that Elizabeth is among her names, that's a nice nod to HM, and I had hoped/expected that Marina would be among the names. I really couldn't care less for Daphne though, but supposedly it's a name from Sophie's side of the family?

I really like her names Maud Elizabeth Daphne Marina!!
That sounds so pretty.;)
Welcome to the world little Maud Windsor.:flowers:

Congratulations to the couple!
The baby's name is quite lovely.

And William and Frederik never seemed very close

Didn't Frederick also attend Eton College? And he is only three years older than William, so they could meet there on many occasions.

I hope they call her "Daphne".:cool:

I hope they call her anything other than Maud.
I do not care for that name at all. Nor do I think Maud Windsor sounds very nice.

Wish they'd changed the order of her names.

I like much more Maud than Daphne.
This name was probably chosen to honour the Greek heritage of Lord Frederick (by his grandmother, Princess Marina of Greece).

Last edited:
Didn't Frederick also attend Eton College? And he is only three years older than William, so they could meet there on many occasions.

They are not really close family are they... the grandmother of P.William is a cousin of the father of Frederick...
I don't know that many cousins of my grandparents at all, haven't even met all their siblings...

Anyway, congratulations to the couple and the rest of the family, and although i never would have guessed the name Maud, i quite like the fact that this again (like for instance Estelle and Amalia etc) is a name with tradition, but not used very much, so traditional and unusual in one :)

They are not really close family are they... the grandmother of P.William is a cousin of the father of Frederick...
I don't know that many cousins of my grandparents at all, haven't even met all their siblings...

I don't think they are close at all. None of the Wales' attended Freddie's wedding.

I think they William & Harry grew up close to Frederick & Gabriella but, as they got older, they went into different directions and Frederick & Gabriella is not seen that much. I think they enjoy getting together at family events to catch up though.

Do not like the name Maud, would have preferred Daphne but that will always remind of the scooby doo character!

Lord Frederick Windsor, Sophie Winkleman Welcome Baby Girl
Another simcha for the British royal family! On the heels of the birth of Prince George, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent have issued a statement announcing the birth of their first grandchild.

The parents, Lord Frederick Windsor and Sophie Winkleman, welcomed a baby girl yesterday at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, where the couple is based. She weighed 7 pounds and was given the name Maud Elizabeth Daphne Marina. We're sure Georgie and Maud will be the best of friends.

I don't like much the name " Maud" either. But, like Isla, it seems to be traditional.
Interesting, if the couple will have more children.

How is Isla traditional? I have not heard of it before it was given to Peter and Autumn's child.
I am not sure I like Maud. In the Middle Ages it seems to have been used a lot, yet was thought of as a shortened form of Matilda or Madeline. Hard to see how one gets Maud out of Matilda, but in the Middle Ages they pronounced things differently. They may have pronounced Matilda "Mawtilda," and then the "t" got easily changed to "d". Most people are not aware of how different speech was in the time of William the Conqueror. Most upper crusters spoke French, but a few began to be proficient in English (like Henry I)
or Scots. The name Matilda seems to zing back and forth between Scots and English speaking royals. And Maud became the name du jour, if I remember correctly, when Edyth of Scotland married Henry I and changed her name to Maud. Henry had twenty
illegitimate children, only one by Maud as I recall.
I would have somewhat preferred Matilda or Madeline to Maud, but Maud is cute. As Mirabel said, Maud Windsor somehow does not sound right? Matilda or Madeline Windsor sounds better.

Isla is traditional Scottish name.

Maud was a popular name at the turn of the 19/20th century - an Edwardian favourite, made popular by the King as he named his youngest daughter Maud. She was later Queen of Norway.

Not common in modern times, but a Swedish actress - Maud Adams (very beautiful) was a famous Bond girl - Octo*****!

How is Isla traditional? I have not heard of it before it was given to Peter and Autumn's child.
I am not sure I like Maud. In the Middle Ages it seems to have been used a lot, yet was thought of as a shortened form of Matilda or Madeline. Hard to see how one gets Maud out of Matilda, but in the Middle Ages they pronounced things differently. They may have pronounced Matilda "Mawtilda," and then the "t" got easily changed to "d". Most people are not aware of how different speech was in the time of William the Conqueror. Most upper crusters spoke French, but a few began to be proficient in English (like Henry I)
or Scots. The name Matilda seems to zing back and forth between Scots and English speaking royals. And Maud became the name du jour, if I remember correctly, when Edyth of Scotland married Henry I and changed her name to Maud. Henry had twenty
illegitimate children, only one by Maud as I recall.
I would have somewhat preferred Matilda or Madeline to Maud, but Maud is cute. As Mirabel said, Maud Windsor somehow does not sound right? Matilda or Madeline Windsor sounds better.

Maud/Maude originates from the French Mahaut which is the medieval French form of Mathilde. To the best of my French skills, I believe it's pronounced Mah-oh, which make sense since the French pronunciation of Maud/Maude is much softer than the English pronunciation.

When Diana was alive William and Harry grew up at KP as did Frederick and Gabriella but they appear to have grown apart since they boys moved to St James and then CH with their father.

Even though Micheal is The Queen's first cousin he, like the Duke of Gloucester, is closer in age to Charles than to Elizabeth so it is more likely that Michael is a bit friendly with Charles, in an older brother sort of way.

If Frederick takes Maud to visit his parents at their home and William is there with George then there is a chance they could be playmates occasionally as they would both then be at KP - other than that I don't see them being all that close.

I do not care for that name at all. Nor do I think Maud Windsor sounds very nice.

Me too. Not a fan of Maud

Why would they do that? It's her name, for goodness sake; they like it; they will use it.. Otherwise, they would have called her something else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom