Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wish Lady Frederic a speedy recovery.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
We have over 1 million deer in my state. Drivers hitting deer is common (I've hit 2 in the last 20 years).

Drivers are told often don't swerve! The accident is almost always worse when you swerve to avoid the deer.

LaRae
Thatís very true. Although, many drivers canít imagine hitting a squirrel yet alone a deer. Hit that thing and keep going Iíd say.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

How GHASTLY for Lady Frederick, her hubby, and Family. I wish her a full, and speedy recovery.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Thatís very true. Although, many drivers canít imagine hitting a squirrel yet alone a deer. Hit that thing and keep going Iíd say.
Usually they come out of the ditch and across the road so fast (in low light situations dusk/dawn) you don't have much of a chance to avoid hitting them. I just grip the wheel and hit the brake! I can't even remember how many near misses I've had.

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
We have over 1 million deer in my state. Drivers hitting deer is common (I've hit 2 in the last 20 years).

Drivers are told often don't swerve! The accident is almost always worse when you swerve to avoid the deer.

LaRae
We're taught the opposite here, unless of course swerving means going into oncoming traffic, and I suspect the driver perhaps didn't see them coming. Unfortunately deer can and will go through your windshield and can kill you. When I was living in BC and driving country roads, my dad told me it was safer to go into a ditch then it was to hit a deer.

Quote:
The squirell perhaps, but you hit a deer, unless driving a huge semi, you aren't just going to hit it and keep going.

Hope we get some news on Sophie. A broken back may not be life threatening but if that part is true, she likely has quite a long recovery ahead of her.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

LaRae

This was my exact reaction! Donít swerve to miss hitting an animal! Thatís what makes the accident worse.

You slow down, you duck down, and you (sadly) very likely hit the deer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

Having been in an accident with a deer before, i can assure you ďkeep goingĒ is not a great thing to do. You should be stopping, calling the police, and making sure your vehicle is safe to drive. The police will take care of the deer (so itís not left sitting on the road for other vehicles to hit), and having a police report will make filing the insurance claim on your vehicle a lot easier.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here if you hit a deer (it's a rural area) you can contact the Dept of Conservation and ask to take the deer for meat. Otherwise you can leave it where it is (as long as it's not in the roadway). You don't need to call police etc unless other cars are involved.

The only person you need to call is your insurance company.

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

My heart is with Lady Frederick Windsor, Freddy and the kids and their whole family.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-03-2017, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Oh gosh, it seems like this was a serious accident, I wish Sophie a quick recovery and that she will still be able to enjoy her Christmas - it can't be fun being stuck in a hospital bed over the festive season. Hopefully Maude and Isabella will make her some Christmas presents to cheer her up
As sad and harsh as it sounds, I do agree with those who have said the safest solution is to not avoid the deer. It's safer to avoid injuring yourself and your passengers. It is a difficult situation to be in though - my mother beeps her horn even at little birds standing in the road.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Royal Highness

Prayers to Sophie for a speedy recovery. How horrible. She and Frederick seem to be such nice and good people.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

What awful news & so close to the Holidays. I think we all know what 2 little girls will be asking Father Christmas when they see him.

Living in a Rural area, Deer are everywhere & hardly a week goes by w/out somebody having a run in w/one. This time of year especially w/the rut going on & all those little fawns we'll see in the Spring are being created. Really need to keep your head on a swivel.

Wishing Sophie a full recovery!!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I dread the thought of hitting a deer.
My father did, and it totaled his car.
There is almost always massive damage, but it is very difficult to avoid, because often they run right into the car.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Where I live, its dense tree line right up to the sides of the road and not unusual for a deer to come bounding out in the direct paths of cars. We've had so many near misses that its impossible to count. It never fails though to bring a big smile to our faces as these are animals that are so beautiful and graceful that we'll take a minute or three before continuing on as sometimes the family follows the first deer into the road.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Lord Frederick attends at Mark Shand's Adventures and His Cabinet Of Curiosities VIP private view, in London on 20 February

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...rick%20Windsor
Old 02-25-2018, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Anyone knows how tall is Lady Amalia? She is working as a model but for me in the photos she doesn't look too tall, may be 5'1 - 160 cm?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Lord Frederick attends at Mark Shand's Adventures and His Cabinet Of Curiosities VIP private view, in London on 20 February

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...rick%20Windsor
Is this a brother of the Duchess of Cornwall?
Old 02-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Any news on how Sophie is doing?
Old 02-25-2018, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Is this a brother of the Duchess of Cornwall?
Yes. The event was not only an exhibition but an auction. It included both his photographs and some statues and such he had collected in his travels. The funds were being raised for his elephant charity. It was hosted by Camilla's niece.

https://www.vanityfair.com/alist/pho...of-curiosities

Quote:
Any news on how Sophie is doing?
Unfortunately there hasn't been many updates on Sophie.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Yes. The event was not only an exhibition but an auction. It included both his photographs and some statues and such he had collected in his travels. The funds were being raised for his elephant charity. It was hosted by Camilla's niece.

https://www.vanityfair.com/alist/pho...of-curiosities

Unfortunately there hasn't been many updates on Sophie.
Quite worrying I think !
Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 PM
Majesty

Probably she is undergoing rehabilitation.

Tags
lady frederick windsor, lord frederick windsor, sophie winkleman