Kilts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen pictures of Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, Angus Ogilvy, Arthur Chatto and Samuel Chatto in kilts - and they all look splendid.

Incidentally Prince Charles is known as the Duke of Rothesay in Scotland (not Prince of Wales, or Duke of Cornwall), Prince Andrew is know as Earl of Aberdeen, and Prince Edward is known as Earl of Forfar. Prince William is known as Earl of Strathearn and Prince Harry can use Earl of Dumbarton.

Blokes look great in kilts and I hope the younger royals keep to the tradition of wearing them on appropriate occasions.

How fun and colourful to see tartans worn lively in the streets at The Edinburgh Festival. There is much history in the clan colours, weaving crafts etc.

If you walk along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, you will find dozens of shops selling kilts, and tourists who've got no more personal connection with Scotland than I've got with Outer Mongolia buying them as souvenirs - and why not, if they want to buy them? William is the heir of the Stewart Kings of Scotland, and also the great-great-grandson of the Earl of Glamis, so why shouldn't he wear a kilt if he wants to?

Torquhil Campbell, Duke of Argyll wore a kilt on his 2002 wedding day.

King George IV made a royal visit to Edinburgh in August of 1822.​
He attended a levee at Holyrood Palace dressed in a kilt.​
Yes and apparently there was some surprise as he wore the kilt short (above the knee) and with flesh coloured tights, which caused some comment.

William is the heir of the Stewart Kings of Scotland, and also the great-great-grandson of the Earl of Glamis, so why shouldn't he wear a kilt if he wants to?
It looks like he doesn't want to. That's a shame, imo, but it's his perogative. I think men look great in kilts, not all of them perhaps, but I believe William would. He and Prince Edward look a lot alike and Edward always looks fine in a kilt.

Back
Top Bottom