The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Aristocracy

The 3rd Duke of Fife is a great-grandson of a monarch (Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) and he is therefore considered a member of the extended British Royal Family. He is a great-great grandson of Queen Victoria, not her son Edward VII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrha View Post
Mark and Alexandra are friends and neighbours of mine and recently we've had a lot of interest from 'visitors' asking which house they live in - I am not quite sure why people need to know and I am certainly not going to tell anyone! How do people home in I just don't know.
I have been reading with interest all the comments!
Yes they do have a lovely daughter who's a real sweetheart.

David
Baron of xxxxx
Their surname is Etherington, not Etheridge. And there isn't any Barons of xxxxx in the UK, it's just Baron xxxxx. Hmmm?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:05 AM
momrha

Post Duke of Fife

Excuse my typo.
If you don't mine me saying - as I suggest you investigate your UK historical information more closely when it comes to titles and the use of and get your facts right before telling me how I should style myself - hmmm indeed! Baron's in this country are always styled 'Baron of xxx' or Baron surname of xxx the xxx is a territorial designation. If you sit in the house of Lords you'll be summonded as Baron surname but styled Lord surname and the term Baron is not used. If there's already another parlimentary Baron with the same surname they'll then be summoned as Baron surname of xxx and styled Lord surname of xxx. Having inherited my own titles of nobility I can style myself as David surname Baron of xxx or Baron surname of xxx. Never should I style myself as simply Baron surname.

One other thing - Wikipedia is not an acurate source of information.......!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Nobility

are there any photos of the duke and the rest of his family?
Old 12-08-2007, 04:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrha View Post
Excuse my typo.
If you don't mine me saying - as I suggest you investigate your UK historical information more closely when it comes to titles and the use of and get your facts right before telling me how I should style myself - hmmm indeed! Baron's in this country are always styled 'Baron of xxx' or Baron surname of xxx the xxx is a territorial designation. If you sit in the house of Lords you'll be summonded as Baron surname but styled Lord surname and the term Baron is not used. If there's already another parlimentary Baron with the same surname they'll then be summoned as Baron surname of xxx and styled Lord surname of xxx. Having inherited my own titles of nobility I can style myself as David surname Baron of xxx or Baron surname of xxx. Never should I style myself as simply Baron surname.

One other thing - Wikipedia is not an acurate source of information.......!
I must reply and clarify what I meant. For a start I have investigated my UK historical information very closely when it comes to titles and the use of them for years and I certaily do have my facts right. I cannot tell you how to ''style yourself'', you can style yourself Santa Clause if you want.

Barons, unless they are feudel baronies are styled as Lord x. When referring to the 6th Baron Byron for example we don't say Lord Byron of Rochdale in the County Palatine of Lancaster. We call him Lord Byron. (To use a famous example of a Baron).

Of course every peerage and even baronetcies have territorial designations, but a a peer is not styled using that. Barons are usually styled on an everyday basis as Lord X. Not Lord of X. Feudal baronies are an exeption, they are different, and they are often Baron X of X. They are Scottish feudal baronies.

And as for Wikipedia, which I didn't even mention in my former post: Considering it has millions of articles, billions of pieces of informaton and billions of words on it, it is extemely silly and wrong to say that it is not considered an accurate source of information. If you want to find the basics out about something it is an extemely useful source, Wikipedia is the curious person's friend. Of course there are some inaccuracies on it, but mostly it is all written in good faith using reputable sources and contains mostly facts which are often rigorously debated, so quit bashing wikipedia, it's so annoying.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:14 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMTLove23 View Post
are there any photos of the duke and the rest of his family?
I have only seen a couple of photos of the current (3rd) Duke of Fife, but none all together with his children and grandchildren. He is of course divorced from Carolyn, the former Duchess of Fife, who was born as The Hon. Carolyn Dewar (if i remember correctly.)

There are quite a few photos of the first Duke of Fife with his wife Princess Louise the Princess Royal and their daughters Princess Alexandra (2nd Duchess of Fife and later HRH Princess Arthur of Connaught) and Princess Maud of Fife, late the Countess of Southesk. They also had a son named Alastair Duff, The Marquess of Macduff, but he died in infancy.

See the Fife family thread at the Alexander Palace, Princess Louise,Princess Royal, Duchess of Fife
Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Aristocracy

This is my favorite tiara Im glasd that it has had an outing even if it was in 1985
Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Alexandra at one time had been Lady Alexandra Duff. What was her highest title? Princess Alexandra of Fife or Princess Arthur of Connaught or Princess Alexandra, Duchess of Fife

Tags
duke of fife, james carnegie