Is The Monarchy Worth Keeping?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elspeth

I can go along with everything you have said, as long as there is a real choice there.

I agree, one cannot expect to receive the extraordinary privileges, benefits, perks for nothing. The resentments that would be forthcoming would be astronomical and rightly so.

Perhaps that privileges, benefits and perks need to be well defined, because I am not so sure that all of HM's children enjoy them?

Well, as in all aristocratic families, the eldest son has the lion's share of the property, but generally speaking, the younger children are provided for out of legacies and trust funds. For example, Earl Spencer (Diana's father) said at one point that he'd invested a lot of money for Harry - the expectation being that William, like Charles, will get his income from the Duchy of Cornwall and so the younger son is the one who needs financial help from family. Also, when George V's will was read, it showed substantial legacies to his younger children but not to the Prince of Wales - again, because as King, the eldest son would have the revenues from the Duchy of Lancaster as well as all the other property and income of the Crown.

I remain confused as to for example Prince Edward, the fourth child and third son of HM. For all practical purposes, he is never going to be King, his children do not have the HRH. IF he chose to go to mother and say "I don't want this for me or my family, I want out, I want an ordinary life." I do not understand what the problem with that would be, I honestly don't. The Monarchy remains intact. He leaves behind any benefits, he assumes a normal life. I just don't see a problem here.

His children do have the HRH, they're just being styled as the children of non-royal Earls. However, there would be nothing wrong with his going to his mother and saying that he wanted out and wanted an ordinary life. Whether that would involve giving up his HRH and becoming just plain The Earl of Wessex or whether he'd have kept his HRH like the Duke of Windsor did, I don't know. But I don't think Mummy would have bought Bagshot Park for him if he was just going to be an ex-royal, and I don't think he'd have been included in royal (as opposed to family) occasions.

Although he attempted to get a regular job after leaving university and giving up on the Marines, I don't think there was really any serious talk about him leaving the royal family.

To implicitly say that even if a Royal leaves and gives up everything that for some reason that person must be punished socially forever? That is cruel.

That depends on the nature of the leaving. For example, Princess Patricia of Connaught relinquished her HRH on her marriage because she wanted to take the same social status as her husband. She wasn't ostracised from the royal family, but she also didn't do royal duties or take part in royal events as a royal.

When HM abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson, he was for all practical purposes exiled to France to his death, why? His brother assumed the throne, the Monarchy continued?

The given reason was that George VI needed time to grow into his role without his extremely popular elder brother hanging around. I believe the real reason was vindictiveness and revenge, especially on the part of the Queen Mother. They did have the upper hand, though, because the Duke of Windsor was granted an annual income from the Crown, and I think his place of residence was part of the conditions for his continuing to receive the income.

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

I have always loved a practical woman.

Tell me this then, because it occurs to me that people of your social class are in a unique position to have some real, palatable influence.

Say for instance the case of Prince Andrew, Sky, is it not possible for you and those similarly situated to be polite, superficially cordial and respectful and yet clearly register your concern with him, to the point that he is uncomfortable? I have this feeling that if you chose, you could sit next to me at dinner, smile, we could have a conversation and when I left I would still know that you really despised me and yet could not point to one thing to illustrate that contempt. Do you think that is accurate?
Andrew is no different to any other individual and would probably take umbrage at any suggestion that he is not earning his title. He is the sort, IMO, who if he doesn't want to listen to complaints or answer a question on his expenses, would throw a ducky fit and stomp out. That sort of thing is best left to his advisors, civil servants or HM.

I was going to answer your 'feeling' with, don't be so silly, I would be a perfect dinner companion, until my friends (with whom I am staying at the moment) collapsed in a heap of laughter and pointed out that, yes, I am always pleasant, but they certainly know if they have 'upset' me without me doing or saying anything specific! :flowers::eek::ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom