The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

It was just a handwritten note with instructions for an alfresco lunch in the sunshine - but yesterday it was sold for £16,000.

Queen Mother's note requesting Dubonnet and gin fetches £16,000 | Mail Online

Old 07-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Commoner

Billy Tallon was devoted to the Queen Mother, the article was a lovely read.

What an amazing collection of artifacts, collected over a vast number of years, I think it's right and fitting that they should purchased by people who will treasure them as much as Billy did.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator

From The Telegraph 4 August 2008, a video recording the Queen Mother's 100th birthday in 2000...

¨ On this day - Telegraph TV
Old 11-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen Mother has been described as a "ghastly old bigot" by one of the presenters of the BBC's Today programme

Edward Stourton said comments she made in a conversation with him in the early 1990s were "nasty" and gave him the impression she was bigoted.
The journalist described the exchange in a forthcoming book about political correctness

BBC presenter says Queen Mother was 'ghastly bigot' - Telegraph

"The words were delivered with the eyes on maximum tiara-strength twinkle", which says to me that the QM judged you correctly Mr Stourton and no I was not a fan of the QM particularly!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Classic! Only the QM could have gotten away with a comment like that!
Old 11-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Gentry

Anyone know when the official biography of the Queen Mother by William Shawcross is to be published?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Aristocracy

Royalty Photo Postcards

Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother PC of photograph by Dorothy Wilding

http://i41.tinypic.com/241qmih.jpg

Where are all the negatives? * just teasing *
Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

There was an interesting programme the other week on the Queen Mother's closet page, William Tallon, called Backstair's Billy, on channel 4. Those who live in the UK still have the chance to watch a catch up.
Backstairs Billy: The Queen Mum's Butler | Watch Online | Free Catch-Up on Channel 4 Shows

Interesting stuff as the programme gives a unique insight into the private world of Clarence House through the rise and fall of William Tallon, devoted servant, friend and butler to the Queen Mother for over 51 years. After the Queen Mother's death though, the royals quickly cleaned up with her old habits, world & lifestyle, converting Clarence House into a modern household.

Some info on him, a flamboyant personality:
Will Backstairs Billy, the Queen Mother's eccentric retainer, spill his royal secrets from the grave? | Mail Online
Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator

The Queen Mother has been described as "the last of the Edwardians" and no doubt Clarence House was run in that grand Edwardian style. Of course, no-one would say no to her and she more or less did (and spent) as she pleased, but I guess that's part of the appeal. In terms of image management she did rather well: warm and fluffy on the outside, while being cold and ruthless as she saw fit. One day this public/private contrast will be examined fully, but probably not for a while yet.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The Queen Mother has been described as "the last of the Edwardians" and no doubt Clarence House was run in that grand Edwardian style. Of course, no-one would say no to her and she more or less did (and spent) as she pleased, but I guess that's part of the appeal. In terms of image management she did rather well: warm and fluffy on the outside, while being cold and ruthless as she saw fit. One day this public/private contrast will be examined fully, but probably not for a while yet.
The programme did hint at this attitude and both - QM and her page - seem to have suited each other well in that respect. She was untouchable for the Royal Family and he was untouchable for the househould because of her back-off. But how could it be differently after 51 years and the closeness that developed?

Anyway, the fact that QEII removed her ailing mother from Clarence House and took her to Windsor, out of Backstair's Billy's range and asked him to move out of his lodge shortly after her death says it all. Not only because of Billy I guess a lot of people were glad when QM finally passed away and the Edwardian style went down to the grave with her.

As you Warren I am curious when there will be the first biography of QM without any icing.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
There was an interesting programme the other week on the Queen Mother's closet page, William Tallon, called Backstair's Billy, on channel 4. Those who live in the UK still have the chance to watch a catch up.
Backstairs Billy: The Queen Mum's Butler | Watch Online | Free Catch-Up on Channel 4 Shows

Interesting stuff as the programme gives a unique insight into the private world of Clarence House through the rise and fall of William Tallon, devoted servant, friend and butler to the Queen Mother for over 51 years. After the Queen Mother's death though, the royals quickly cleaned up with her old habits, world & lifestyle, converting Clarence House into a modern household.

Some info on him, a flamboyant personality:
Will Backstairs Billy, the Queen Mother's eccentric retainer, spill his royal secrets from the grave? | Mail Online
Reminds one of the faithful Brown and Queen Victoria. Edward VII couldn´t get rid of him as he had already gone but he got rid of every little whimsical souvenir that existed of him in his mother´s effects.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The programme did hint at this attitude and both - QM and her page - seem to have suited each other well in that respect. She was untouchable for the Royal Family and he was untouchable for the househould because of her back-off. But how could it be differently after 51 years and the closeness that developed?

Anyway, the fact that QEII removed her ailing mother from Clarence House and took her to Windsor, out of Backstair's Billy's range and asked him to move out of his lodge shortly after her death says it all. Not only because of Billy I guess a lot of people were glad when QM finally passed away and the Edwardian style went down to the grave with her.

As you Warren I am curious when there will be the first biography of QM without any icing.
Probably not in Charles's lifetime, at least not an authoritative biography by an author with access to the royal archive, and that's the sort of biography you'd need in order to avoid criticisms of a tabloid hack doing a hatchet job.

I think an authoritative biography that really does stick to facts and gets rid of the rose-coloured perspective will come as a real shock to people who seem to have taken the Queen Mother at her own valuation and haven't wanted to look beneath the surface. I hope it'll happen in my lifetime but I doubt it.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:41 AM

I was just reading that President Obama is going to visit the Queen and it stated that the Queen Mother would not appreciate that and would not have him in her home. I was so SHOCKED to read that; We never knew that she was prejudiced. What a disappointment, I have lost all respect for her now as I'm sure other people will as well. How terrible to know that she was that way!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think anyone could say with certainty what QEQM would or would not have thought, least of all such a statement that she would not have had him in her home, (which wouldn't have happened anyway).
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblockton View Post
How terrible to know that she was that way!!!!!!!!!!
But how do you know?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I was just reading that President Obama is going to visit the Queen and it stated that the Queen Mother would not appreciate that and would not have him in her home. I was so SHOCKED to read that; We never knew that she was prejudiced. What a disappointment, I have lost all respect for her now as I'm sure other people will as well. How terrible to know that she was that way!!!!!!!!!!
Apart from the fact that few would actually know how the QM may have felt, was your "respect" for the QM so flimsy that an article, irrespective of who may have written it, enough for you to loose respect?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

what's the point in speculating how a person might have felt or reacted who died seven years ago?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I think she would've let him in her home at least in her later years. I've always thought she was probably less racist than Prince Philip, or at least better at concealing it.

Even if she was prejudiced I think she was a smart enough lady to realize the President of the United States is the President of the United States and you need to show him the respect that comes with his station.
So long and goodnight...
Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Where did you read this article from?
I'm sure she wasn't like that.
x
Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that's what I think, also. She certainly knew how to do her duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeniann View Post
Even if she was prejudiced I think she was a smart enough lady to realize the President of the United States is the President of the United States and you need to show him the respect that comes with his station.

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother