The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Aristocracy

Actually there was no oversight on the part of Henri. What he quoted [above] as "observed" precedence was transcribed verbatim from the official document.
The reader is referred to the Official Website of the British Monarchy, under Life of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother -> Funeral Arrangements -> Funeral Ceremonial, where it is still quoted, under Members of Foreign Royal Families (attending), Prince Gustav of Denmark.
Evidently, the mistake was on the part of the author(s) of the official List of Foreign Royals attending the Funeral.
And a quick remark. Upon perusing the British Monarchy's official Website, I realized that Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother's Funeral was not a State Funeral but a Royal Ceremonial one. A State Funeral carries a somewhat greater gravitas but, importantly, due to the official attendance of foreign dignitaries, it follows an entirely different protocol regarding these guests.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Nobility

It is of my opinion that Mr. Tallon should not have been chastised and kept from the Queen Mother in the final days of her life because of his faux pas regarding Princess Margaret attending in frail health the birthday celebrations of her mother. Perhaps if this was a direct diobedience of an strict order then Mr. Tallon was in the wrong, but maybe there was some confusion...as is often the case with the elderly and the ill.

Princess Margaret was professionally photographed in her role as "Lady of the Imperial Order of the Crown of India" for the lavish book "Keepers of the Kingdom". The princess is obviously in terrible health and severe decline. Even more so than the image of her in the wheelchair we associate with Mr. Tallon.

It is ironic that the Queen Mother is featured (also in obvious decline of health) on the back of the dust jacket of this fascinating book.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
It is of my opinion that Mr. Tallon should not have been chastised and kept from the Queen Mother in the final days of her life because of his faux pas regarding Princess Margaret attending in frail health the birthday celebrations of her mother.
It appears from this article that if he was chastised by anyone, it wasn't the Royal Family.

Telegraph Article

Quote:
On the Queen Mother's 101st birthday in August 2001, William had wheeled Margaret out to join a royal line-up at Clarence House. Many were shocked by her fragility and the decline in her appearance and said she should never have been exposed in that way.
William was devastated and wrote to express his sorrow to the Queen. The letter that he received back, written in her own hand, dispelled any rumour of coldness or resentment that was supposed to have followed.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

The door to the Queen's sittingroom at Buckingham Palace slowly swung open.

The British Marie Antoinette: How the Queen Mother left behind more than £7m in debts | the Daily Mail
Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Skydragon,
Thanks for the article!
I have been greatly surprised to read unfavourable facts about the Queen Mother. “There was much propaganda to the effect that the Royal Family subsisted on the same clothing coupons as the rest of the population, but there is considerable doubt about this. One nervous courtier asked the Queen if “Your Majesty feels it is quite correct for you to wear your best dresses when visiting the bomb sites” (Thornton, 2008) shocked me the most.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:54 PM

This doesn't shock me at all but I can't see anything but a negative reaction coming from stories like this. As one of the commenters said, by the end of it how can you be anything else but a committed republican?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
One nervous courtier asked the Queen if “Your Majesty feels it is quite correct for you to wear your best dresses when visiting the bomb sites” (Thornton, 2008) shocked me the most.
Her response is wonderful, though.

'"But of course," replied Elizabeth. "They would wear their best dresses if they were coming to see me."'

I do wonder how she managed to raise at least one daughter with the opposite view on money.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I do appreciate the Queen Mother's witty response, though I have to agree with Thornton naming her “the Empress of Extravagance”. She reminded me of Marie Antoinette with her “Let them eat cake” in this case.
Yes … yes … I know no one could corroborate that the last Queen of France did actually utter this infamous phrase.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Aristocracy

To BeatrixFan

"This doesn't shock me at all but I can't see anything but a negative reaction coming from stories like this. As one of the commenters said, by the end of it how can you be anything else but a committed republican?"

If you think that presidents are better than you're quite wrong! Just look at Argetina of the Perons, the Philipines of Imelda Marcos and co or Romania's Ceasescu couple or some African presidents and I could go on with them...
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Commoner

Have any statues been unveiled to the Queen Mother as mentioned on previous pages of this thread yet?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
"This doesn't shock me at all but I can't see anything but a negative reaction coming from stories like this. As one of the commenters said, by the end of it how can you be anything else but a committed republican?"

If you think that presidents are better than you're quite wrong! Just look at Argetina of the Perons, the Philipines of Imelda Marcos and co or Romania's Ceasescu couple or some African presidents and I could go on with them...
Well yes but bear in mind Andrew that the Perons, Marcoss and Ceaucescus were all at the head of extremist regimes. Certainly Nikolai and Elena were and their palace shows the enormous abuse of state wealth they indulged in. Imelda seemed to spend more than her husband and as for the Perons, I think it became almost expected that as Eva was of Queen status she should live like one. There are Presidents who have lived to their small personal budget!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Aristocracy

well

Maybe the late Queen Mother overdid a bit in spending...but QEII is really taking care that there are no extreme spendings from the taxpayers money.
Prince Charles seems to be a bit like his grandmother-in extravagance-but he does a lot of charity.
For example here in Romania he supports financially the preservation of the medieval Saxon fortress-churches. And he does not get a penny from taxpayers money(correct me if I'm wrong), he earns quite a lot from his duchy.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Prince Charles seems to be a bit like his grandmother-in extravagance-but he does a lot of charity.
I agree with you on the above. It comes as no surprise at all that Prince Charles has got his extravagant whims. After all, he is Prince ...
Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the Queen Elizabeth doesn't have much of choice right now to be less extravagant. With so many people complaining about the monarchy taking so much money from taxes and wanting to demolish the monarchy. She has to be a little more careful about were money goes now.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

All the Queen's children have a reputation for being very frugal, Charles included. They were instilled that from childhood; the Queen was known to make her sons go back and find a dogleash when they'd lost it because leashes cost money.

Everybody knew the queen mother's lavish spending and while she was alive, no one had a problem with it.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

BBC Announcement of the death of the Queen Mother
(starts 30 seconds in)

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

I highly doubt that HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mum would allow her husband to abuse her when Adolf Hitler was said to be afraid of the Queen Mum so yeah i highly doubt she would put up with being abused.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Nobility

That's hilarious!!! I never heard that before!! I always thought that the Queen Mum would be a very kind, but still strong person. She just has an air about her I think that gives off that sense of complete cool sophistication while still having such a posture and stature (not tite) that makes her seems so strongly imposing....
Old 05-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen Mother when "Britain's smiling Duchess", and when Queen ... she has always been a dear favorite of mine - her strength and courage should be admired

http://i31.tinypic.com/s6j22r.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/33e2buf.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/4j8ciu.jpg
Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Rare private photographs of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother hosting a birthday lunch for close family and friends have come to light for the first time.

Unseen photographs of the Queen Mother's 95th birthday lunch - Telegraph

Backstairs Billy auction - Telegraph

The Royals as you've NEVER seen them before: The private photo album of the Queen Mother's loyal servant Backstairs Billy | Mail Online

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother