The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles commissions concert for Queen

A concert dedicated to the Queen Mother will be staged this summer, it was has been announced.
The highlight of the musical event will be the world premiere of a piano concerto commissioned by the Prince of Wales in memory of his beloved grandmother, who died in March 2002.
The piece has been written by award-winning composer Nigel Hess, whose scores for television, theatre and film have won him critical acclaim. The announcement of the musical tribute came as the final design for the national memorial to the Queen Mother - a bronze statue of the royal matriarch in Order of the Garter robes - was unveiled.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Queen Mother memorial plans submitted

About time. I walk past the King George statue almost every day and it looks sadly lacking without the Queen Mother beside it.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm so glad they're going to have the statue show her at the same age as the King, otherwise they'd look idiotic together, even though most people remember her in her Queen Mum role.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Majesty

Didn't Queen Mary insist that her effigy of her coffin show her as being the age she was when George V died? I think it was done for the same reason - to show her at the age she was when she was the Queen Consort of the deceased King rather than as the mother/grandmother of the subsequent monarchs.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

As you have said, most people simply don't remember her when she was younger and married to the King.
It is very fitting that it should be placed in The Mall, next to her husband, for all to see.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

NOT AMUSED OVER QUEEN MUM JOKE

Fury over equality chief's nasty joke about Queen Mum

NOT AMUSED OVER QUEEN MUM JOKE - Top Stories - News - Mirror.co.uk
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM

What a grotty little man Trevor Phillips is.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Off with his head! Not only rude and off colour but also untrue! I dont remember her having a colostomy operation. Although that would not be something that I could see being announced from Buck House. What a nasty man.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Administrator

It's unconfirmed speculation. See here and scroll down to December 1966.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Courtier

I know that the Royal Standard is flown at Buckingham Palace or other residences when the Sovereign is in residence. Lately, I ran across a statement in a book (written in 1947 when the Queen Mother was still Queen Consort) which said that her "personal standard, always to be seen flying over Buckingham Palace when she is in residence alone". I took this to mean that if the King was not in residence there the Queen's standard would be displayed if she was there but he was not.

Can any you out there who are knowledgable about these things tell me whether this is true? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see why it wouldn't be true, although I'm pretty sure this isn't extended to other members of the family who have their own standards. Since the Duke of Edinburgh is rarely resident alone in the Palace I don't know if his standard is ever flown.

What (through observation) seems to be the practice is that the standard of the highest-ranking occupant is the only one typically flown, even if there are other family members with standards resident when the principal occupant is gone. Of course, when a higher-ranking family member comes, their standard would be flown so as not to be rude.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Royal Highness

Precedence observed at funeral ?

In the official funeral arrangements I see that in the procession the members of foreign royal families were placed as such:

The Prince and Princess Ernst-August of Hannover
The Hereditary Prince of Monaco - Princess Muna of Jordan
The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
The King and Queen of the Hellenes
The King and Queen of Romania
The King and Queen of Norway
The King and Queen of Spain
The King and Queen of Sweden
Prince Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Bereleburg (son of Princess Benedikte of Denmark)
The Queen and The Prince Consort of Denmark
The Sultan of Brunei
The King of the Belgians and the Duke of Brabant
The Queen of the Netherlands

You see that the list is logical, beginning with the non reigning Hannovers, to the reigning HSH from Monaco, to Grand Dukes, the to former Kings and then to Kings, all in order of Reign.

The list 'should' have been

The Prince and Princess Ernst-August of Hannover
The Hereditary Prince of Monaco - Princess Muna of Jordan
The Sultan of Brunei
The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
The (former) King and Queen of the Hellenes (1964)
The (former) King and Queen of Romania (1927)
The King of the Belgians and the Duke of Brabant (1997)
The King and Queen of Norway (1991)
The Queen of the Netherlands (1980)
The King and Queen of Spain (1975)
The King and Queen of Sweden (1973)
The Queen and The Prince Consort of Denmark (1972) and Prince Gustav zu S-W-B

Anyone has an idea why the logic precedence was not observed? That Queen Beatrix was ranked the highest (by ending the procession)?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Queen Mother Funeral Procession pics

Sweden, Spain, Norway, Romania
Luxembourg, Monaco, Hanover
Old 11-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Will Backstairs Billy, the Queen Mother's eccentric retainer, spill his royal secrets from the grave? | the Daily Mail

and an older article about staff of clarence house:What will happen to Queen Mother's staff? | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 PM

A friend of mine lives in Kennington just over the road from where Mr Tallon used to reside. Whenever I go to visit her, we always see some famous face as the road is packed with 'names' but I never once saw Backstairs Billy despite him living the closest to her. Then again, if I had seen him, what could I have said? Sad to hear he passed away.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

He seems like a really interesting guy and a very devoted employee. Hopefully they're all having tea together on The Otherside.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

gin and tonics more likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
He seems like a really interesting guy and a very devoted employee. Hopefully they're all having tea together on The Otherside.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
In the official funeral arrangements I see that in the procession the members of foreign royal families were placed as such:
This is a very interesting and challenging question.
Following comparison of the two lists ("obserbed" versus "should-have-been" precedence) the question may be narrowed down to why
1) The Sultan of Brunei received a senior place,
2) The King and CP of the Belgians the second most senior one, and
3) The Queen of the Netherlands the most senior place.

I thought about it again and again and realized that it had to do with either of two issues, both equally important to the Wndsors and the British people, political/diplomatic reasons [considering their strong instinct for survival] or history.

In the case of the Sultan of Brunei, the reason is obvious. Some people may call it expediency, others pragmatism or realism.
In the case of the King of the Belgians [and his son] and Queen Beatrix, the reasons are strong historical and symbolic ones.
The Royal House of the Belgians is both, a senior as well as a reigning branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, to which the late Queen Mother's husband was born until the family name was changed to Windsor.
Insofar as Queen Beatrix is concerned, she is [and I quote from Wikipedia]
"a direct descendant of Sophia, Electress of Hanover via her great-granddaughter Anne, Princess Royal (1709–1759). The queen could claim British nationality because of her descent from Sophia, based on The Act for the Naturalization of the Most Excellent Princess Sophia, Electress and Duchess Dowager of Hanover, and the Issue of her Body (the Sophia Naturalization Act) from 1705, as she was born before the act was repealed in 1948. "

One question I have and could not trace his origin is who this "Prince Gustav of Denmark, cousin of the late Queen Mother" is.
To the best of my knowledge, there was Prince Georg of Denmark, son of Prince Axel who married Anne Bowes-Lyon, daughter of the Queen Mother's brother. Prince Georg of Denmark appears to have died in 1986. Unless they were referring to Princess Benedikte's son (who may have stood in her place?), Prince Gustav, but he belongs to the House of Sayn-Wittgestein-Berleburg and is not a prince of Denmark.
Can someone help here?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
One question I have and could not trace his origin is who this "Prince Gustav of Denmark, cousin of the late Queen Mother" ?
As far as i know it could be Prince Gustav Sayn-Wittgenstein-berlebrug, who represented his mother Benedikte, the Queenmother was godmother to her. Probably the british Court mixed the titles and called him of Denmark instead of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Egalite' View Post
One question I have and could not trace his origin is who this "Prince Gustav of Denmark, cousin of the late Queen Mother"?
Yes, there is an error in the list. Prince Gustav of Denmark died in 1944 and Prince Georg in 1986. I have checked both the Hello! and Point de Vue coverage of the funeral but unfortunately there is not a single picture of the Foreign Royals as a group. However, Royalty Digest #131 states that Prince Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg did indeed attend, so I will amend Henri's post.

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother