The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

That would be fine. Raising a child to think they can have/do anything they want with whomever they want without there being repercussions, however, is Not Normal.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Yes I did see Diana complained about that in the Andrew Morton Book, All Grandparents spoil their Grandchildren's. And so what if he asked his Mother And Grandmother if they wanted anything to drink and ask her last... No big deal in my opinion. It Normal.
Where I come from, a wife/girlfriend would rip her husband/boyfriend a new one if her didn't offer her drink first.

Very true, grandmothers very often spoil their grandchildren. I know my grandmother did. Charles was allowed to get away with a lot though. Being the future King, you would think they wouldn't tolerated some of the things he did in his personal life.

I think Charles is very lucky he didn't have to deal with his late great-grandfather. George V was something else.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
That would be fine. Raising a child to think they can have/do anything they want with whomever they want without there being repercussions, however, is Not Normal.
Okay I see what you are saying. Good Point,
Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Where I come from, a wife/girlfriend would rip her husband/boyfriend a new one if her didn't offer her drink first.

Your wife/girlfriend though doesn't have a mother who is HM The Queen and a grandmother who is HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother -two ladies he bowed to the first time he saw them every day.

My brother always offered a drink to his mother and sister before his wife by the way - still does - she thinks that is normal - his mother, her mother, his sister, her sisters, her sisters-in-law and even his daughters ALL come before her in her opinion.

That is simply good manners where I come from and a wife who expected anything else would be criticised for having bad manners and no idea of correct behaviour.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
See i'd be the exact opposite, in a situation like that I would rightly expect the son to ask the mother or grandmother first, if frankly i'm not the one asking. Like if they came round for dinner, for instance.

I think Charles did right, all about the interpretation perhaps.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Your wife/girlfriend though doesn't have a mother who is HM The Queen and a grandmother who is HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother -two ladies he bowed to the first time he saw them every day.

My brother always offered a drink to his mother and sister before his wife by the way - still does - she thinks that is normal - his mother, her mother, his sister, her sisters, her sisters-in-law and even his daughters ALL come before her in her opinion.

That is simply good manners where I come from and a wife who expected anything else would be criticised for having bad manners and no idea of correct behaviour.
I agree with everything what you said. By the way I always ask my Grandma if she want anything then I ask my mom and Aunt last. I don't see it as bad manners.

I got the 'it all about me' vibe from Diana when she said that.. Some might see it different but I don't see it as bad in my opinion. Especially when asking your Elders first can be a sign of respect.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Majesty

I think it's respectable to assist your mother and grandmother and then the wife but not everyone would like that. I think Diana understood what Charles was doing but I think some of the problems in their marriage may have caused her to look at things differently.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
See i'd be the exact opposite, in a situation like that I would rightly expect the son to ask the mother or grandmother first, if frankly i'm not the one asking. Like if they came round for dinner, for instance.

I have to agree with you on this one. If the situation was that it was John Smith (just an off the way situation) that was offering the drinks, I would be assuming that John was playing the role of the host while his wife was hostess.

Good manners suggest that guests always are looked after and offered food and drink to first before the host/ess.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Nobility

Definately a "What about me?" moment in my book.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

It was the same in our household. Grandmother and my mother were always served before any of us and certainly before sisters in law and no one ever objected as far as I know. It was just considered good manners.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

I agree - and I also would talk with my partner about my plan to serve the elders first. I would not discuss it - I would explain it. I cannot see back into the relationship, but it is clear that Diana got taken by surprise/unhappiness sometimes and wanted explanation sometimes. So, in my opinion, anticipate that and clear it up before the event.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Majesty

19 November, 1984. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, the Prince and Princess of Wales and Princess Margaret's daughter Lady Sarah arrive at the Theatre Royal in London for the Royal Variety Performance-

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

The Regency Act of 1937 made Elizabeth the first Queen Consort in English history to be eligible to serve as a Counsellor of State and to transact royal business in the sovereign's name.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Counsellors of State were only created in 1911 and they were appointed at the monarch's discretion during the reign of George V as needed and he tended to go with The Lord Chancellor, The Prime Minister, The Archbishop of Canterbury and/or the Lord President of the Council rather than royals. Had he chosen royals he would probably have gone with Mary as well as his sons but he didn't.

The 1937 Act was the first to create CoS's by law so there was really only Mary who could have been appointed earlier anyway so not such a big breakthrough.

However there have been Queens Consort who have conducted the business of the monarch in the absence/death of the monarch as Regent such as Queen Caroline who would act as Regent when George II was in Hanover if she remained in the UK. In most cases when a regent was considered a possibility then the mother of the new monarch was to be appointed.

Eleanor of Aquataine ruled England in the absence of her son Richard so definitely conducted the business of the monarch.

There are of course other women who did carry out the duties of running the country long before Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was eligible to be a CoS as they served as Regents for their husbands or sons and exercised a lot more power than a CoS could do.

Currently, of course, there are no women able to serve as a CoS as the current five are: Philip (has never served although eligible since 1952), Charles, William, Harry and Andrew. The last female to serve was Anne and she served until William turned 21 and the next to possibly serve is Beatrice, assuming The Queen doesn't live to see George turn 21.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Courtier

Camilla would also be able to be a CoS when Charles is King. So there will be 2 women then. Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew and Beatrice.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

^ Seriously? Camilla is the same as Eleanore of Aquitane and Queen Charlotte in appropriateness in this situation? Just because Charles has the ability to make C one, doesnt really make it historically appropriate. In every one of the past situations, the lady in question has been a first degree blood relative. I dont believe a woman completely unrelated has ever been made one. But please correct me if I am operating under a misapprehention :-)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Courtier

HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002)

Per the legislation, the consort of the monarch is eligible to be a CoS. So that is Philip now and then Camilla and then Catherine. Philip has never done it because he has been with the Queen when she has left the country. But Charles could leave the country as King without his wife.

The discussion was about CoS and that there was no women right now. Not regencies in previous reigns.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Gentry

I don't think King Charles III will make Queen Camilla a Counsellor of State, there's no need to do such a thing. As Iluvbertie said, The Duke of Edinburgh never exercised his functions of Counsellor, and I think His Royal Highness was only made a Counsellor because he would be the Regent for the Prince of Wales.

So, I don't think the future Queen Camilla will be a Counsellor of State, the same goes for the future Queen Catherine.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Courtier

HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002)

There are 5 people eligible per legislation to be CoS -the consort and the next 4 eligible people in line for the throne. To be eligible you have to be 21 or older unless you are the heir to the throne then it is 18 and up. The monarch names 2 people before leaving the country.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Majesty

Philip became eligible to be a CoS automatically when his wife became the monarch as the legislation spells out who can be a CoS:

the spouse of the monarch and the next four in the line of succession over 21, except the heir apparent who can serve from 18.

As a result Camilla will be eligible to be a CoS as the wife of the monarch and as there is a good chance that Charles will go overseas without her - as he does now as PoW (e.g. this coming week) there is a good chance that she will be appointed as will be her right under the legislation.

To add to that legislation there is also the precedent of the spouse of the previous monarch being appointed to continue to serve into the new reign as happened with The Queen Mother who was appointed as extra CoS meaning that for most of the first 50 years of The Queen's reign there were 6 CoS.

There is a difference between being appointed and being eligible to be a CoS - as being appointed is for a specific period of time while being eligible comes automatically if a person meets the requirements of the legislation.

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother