HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She did attend Princess Margaret's funeral of course in February 2002 only a few weeks before her death. She also was 'receiving' people after November 2001. My records have her doing 55 in 2000, 50 in 2001 with just the 1 in 2002.

She did attend Princess Margaret's funeral of course in February 2002 only a few weeks before her death. She also was 'receiving' people after November 2001. My records have her doing 55 in 2000, 50 in 2001 with just the 1 in 2002.

Yes, I know. Royal Central is not so good at the facts.

The Queen Mother was an amazing woman.
At 90, she had the gait of a much younger woman. She entered the barouche with such confidence and ease.

I've never been a fan of the manipulative Queen Mother, but she was a great support to her husband. And you're right, she was in good physical health (despite a whole bunch of hospital visits) until 1993 when she got trouble walking.

Timeline of Queen Mother's health | UK news | The Guardian

I like the Queen Mother. She was a good queen and was an incredible woman.

I also liked Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

She was liked by her staff and the staff of Balmoral and Britannia.

She was a generous and kind employer.

She had an excellent relationship with her daughter.

Some of the print media coverage of the Queen Mother's 100th birthday in 2000:

From Warren's Collection...

"The Lord Mayor of London hosts a very special lunch at Guildhall in honour of the Queen Mother's centennial year"
Author: N/A
Source: HELLO!
Published: July 11, 2000

"Queen Mum tribute - St Paul's service to honour 100th birthday"
Author: Chris Aurora
Source: The Daily Telegraph
Published: July 12, 2000

"Queen Mum at 100 - Her life through the century"
Author: Ann Morrow
Source: The Sunday Telegraph
Published: July 16, 2000

Continued…

"The bells of St Paul's ring out in honour of the Queen Mother"
Author: Ian Lloyd
Published: July 23, 2000

"A historic day to remember as the Queen Mother becomes the first member of the royal family to reach 100 in more than 1000 years of monarchy"
Author: N/A
Published: August 2000

Last edited:
So strange looking back. The Q.M and Princess Margaret, both gone. All those jackets and hats, birthday apperances at Clarence House gone.

What a wonderful collection I have that Hello Magazine in storage somewhere in the attic and I had forgotten!

A few more from the Queen Mum's 100th birthday

From Warren's Collection...

"Thousands hail the Queen Mother"
Author: Robert Hardman
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Published: July 21, 2000

"Mother's century"
Author: Richard Kay
Published: July 21, 2000

"A glorious event to mark 100 glorious years"
Author: Ian Lloyd
Published: August 1, 2000

"Champagne flows as most revered royal turns 100"
Author: Simon Mann
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Published: August 4, 2000

"Queen Mother's happy 100th"
Author: Helen McCabe
Published: August 5, 2000

Last edited:
I have a question that maybe some US members here can answer - Was the Queen Mother's funeral broadcasted on US television?

I have a question that maybe some US members here can answer - Was the Queen Mother's funeral broadcasted on US television?

Yes, it was. I watched it. The US make sure to broadcast major British royal weddings and State Funerals.

Thanks! I knew about major British royal weddings and the funeral of Diana, but I wasn't sure about the Queen Mother's funeral because I read somewhere that it wasn't broadcast on US channels. Can you or anyone else remember if it was broadcast on some of the major channels like NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN and Fox News, or was it only sent on PBS and C-SPAN?

Thanks! I knew about major British royal weddings and the funeral of Diana, but I wasn't sure about the Queen Mother's funeral because I read somewhere that it wasn't broadcast on US channels. Can you or anyone else remember if it was broadcast on some of the major channels like NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN and Fox News, or was it only sent on PBS and C-SPAN?

I think I remember CNN doing the broadcast. It was also broadcasted on the internet too. I even taped to funeral on VHS.

Wikipedia mentions that Elizabeth's godmothers were Lady Maud Bowes-Lyon and Venetia James. Who were the godfathers?

The godmothers of Lady Elizabeth:
Lady Maud Bowes-Lyon was the sister of Claude, 14th Earl of Strathmore.
Venetia James was the second cousin of Cecilia, Countess of Strathmore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think any godfathers have ever been named, which is slightly odd, but not entirely unexpected. After all, nobody expected this baby to be anything in life but an aristocratic wife and mother in her turn. The actual christening of this ninth child of a Scottish Peer seems to have been a muddle, according to some accounts. Apparently the vicar, the Rev. Henry Valentine, made a bit of a hash of it.

Last edited:
I don't think any godfathers have ever been named, which is slightly odd, but not entirely unexpected. After all, nobody expected this baby to be anything in life but an aristocratic wife and mother in her turn. The actual christening of this ninth child of a Scottish Peer seems to have been a muddle, according to some accounts. Apparently the vicar, the Rev. Henry Valentine, made a bit of a hash of it.

How did the Reverend Henry Valentine make a bit of a hash of Elizabeth's christening?

Lady Colin Campbell asserted so, though she is very untrustworthy as an author. However, all but two of Elizabeth's godparents forgot to sign the christening certificate.

She was an impressionable 16-year-old, anxious to help the young men who had endured the horrors of war and were sent to her Scottish castle home to recuperate.

But for Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, later to become Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, one brave young man in particular stood out among the many being treated at Glamis Castle.

A series of six letters being put up for auction has now revealed the teenage crush which Lady Elizabeth appears to have developed over a young Private called James Harding.

The pair exchanged correspondence after meeting at Glamis, where Lady Elizabeth was in the habit of touring the makeshift ward, talking to soldiers, writing letters home on their behalf and running them errands – such as buying Woodbine cigarettes and matches for them at the village shop
Read more: Poignant letters reveal young Queen Mother's friendship with wounded WW1 soldier

Last edited:

A lot about the birth of Elizabeth seems to be a muddle, along with when it actually took place and how long it took to register. Also rumours that there was a twin which is completely up in the air!!

Who knows is long gone!

A lot about the birth of Elizabeth seems to be a muddle, along with when it actually took place and how long it took to register. Also rumours that there was a twin which is completely up in the air!!

Who knows is long gone!

Dee Anna, Thank you for the declaration that Lady Elizabeth might have had a twin. This is the first time I had learned about this rumor.

Who knows is long gone!

I've never heard of this. what is the source of the story? I think it si possible that she had godfathers, I'm sure she had but perhaps they just weren't registered on the certificate?

The Queen Mother had a valuable collection of paintings. These included Manets and Sisleys. Did she give her paintings over to the Crown?

Back
Top Bottom