The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Courtier

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8337507.stm

"Rare images of Royal visit online."

"Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother had visited the Dounreay nuclear power plant in Caithness in 1957 and 1961."

Old 11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Dounreay Site Restoration Ltd - New on-line photo library reveals Queen Mother inside DFR
Dounreay Site Restoration Ltd - November Dounreay News online today

More pictures. The Queen Mother looks so wonderful.
http://www.dounreay.com/UserFiles/Fi...ber%202009.pdf

Pages 8 & 9 have more beautiful pictures.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen Mum lived such a long life and saw so much I wish she had written about it although I know that royals are not supposed to.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Aristocracy

I remember lamenting many years ago the loss to history that Cookie continuously refused to commit her memoirs to paper! I believe Prince Charles in particular was apparently very keen for his beloved Granny to do so....but she appears to have shied away from such 'laborious' and 'dry' duties! I understand though that she did do some useful recorded chats in the nineties, which were used by Shawcross!

Apparently Cookie did not even keep a proper diary....I suppose it could have turned into a bit of a Bridget Jones tome......e.g On a 'Good' day 'Ten fags. Gin and Dubbonet's x4, Champagne Methusalahs x4.....' or on a really 'naughty' day - 'Ran out of fags and drinkie-poos and had to send dear William T. off up to Lillibet's to raid the stores at BP!!!!" - day in day out, decade in decade out, if she had. Perhaps she was just too busy having a 'super' time to be disciplined enough to keep up a diary! I wander if Margo did either? I believe the Queen does keep a diary...although whether it is merely a formal report of her day or more intimate like Prince Charles', with comments akin to his made about 'wax works' is anyone's guess!

Then again, Cookie was a prodigious letter writer, so perhaps in time we may see some wonderfully juicy tomes of her letters....I can imagine a marvelous one of her letters to her brother David and his replies, which would be an absolute hoot! Another one which would be absolutely fascinating would be 'Consorts in Correspondence - The letters of Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth 1923 - 1953.' One can only hope that one day some brave editor will be found to bring about such treasures!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Majesty

This may seem a petty criticism - but it took me three reads of this to realise that you were referring to HM the Queen Mother when you were using the term 'Cookie'. You are the only person I have read here that uses that term and I simply found it strange as I am used to the term The Queen Mum, the Queen Mother or Queen Elizabeth but not a term that was used by a woman who despised her - namely the Duchess of Windsor who gave her that nickname as a derogative term. Personally I wonder whether you are trying to be desparaging about one of the greatest members of the Royal Family in using that name for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mum.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 AM
Aristocracy

I apologize for not qualifying 'Cookie' as HMQETQM as I assumed many readers would have got the gist/understood that I was referring the subject of this thread...sorry!

Needless to say though, I have been anticipating an outcry over my use of 'Cookie' in reference to HMQETQM!!! (I know how precious some are about the memory of HMQETQM!) It seems to have taken an age to get here!!!!!!!! As I explained on the Gloucester or Kent thread (sorry I forget which!!!!!!) I did explain my use of Cookie 'in' a tongue in cheek way! I rather like it and do not see it as being particularly offensive when used in a gentle 'fun' fashion! God forbid the time we are not allowed to have a sense of humour?!

I admit that I never felt any affection for HMQETQM but I use 'Cookie' as a pet name as she loved 'cake' as confirmed by the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire. If the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire could call HMQETQM 'Cake', why shouldn't I be permitted to refer to her as 'Cookie', It shorter than HMQETQM or the 'Queen Mother' or even the 'Queen Mum' which I would never use!

As to whether HMQETQM was one of the greatest members of the RF....I am afraid I beg to differ in my opinion! But I shan't even try to explain my sentiments as it would be like trying to flog a dead horse! I shall not be drawn on the matter! Actually I couldn't be bothered to be drawn...I am too busy emulating HMQETQM and pouring another drinkie poo in ironic homage!

Tinkerty tonk old fruits!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Hmmmm. How should I go about this? Iluvbertie, quite a few minor historians that I know refer to the QM as Cookie. They do admire her (as do I) for what she did and what she stood for though they also acknowledge that she dictated how history should be written, not necessarily truthfully, but the history according to Cookie.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Majesty

Sorry - but 'Cookie' was the term used by her arch-rival the Duchess of Windsor and was not an affectionate or complementary nickname but a derogatory one.

Anyone who uses Cookie for the Queen Mother is insulting her by using a term that was not desiged in an affectionate or friendly manner but was deliberately coined to insult her by someone who disliked her.

No decent historian worth their title would refer to an historical figure using a derogatory name unless they wished to make a point that they were anti-that person.

Anyone who calls the Queen Mother 'Cookie' to me is insulting her and I will continue to read their posts that way.

To me she was one of the greatest royals of all time and I would never stoop so low as to give her a nickname that was coined as one to degrade her and then try and say that I admire her. That is poppycock.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Aristocracy

Sorry.....I shall try not to use 'Cookie again in reference to HMQETQM if it is regarded as offensive...but it does not mean that I shan't think and mentally type 'Cookie' when I laboriously type HMQETQM or 'the Queen Mother' or god forbid (never ever ever!!!!!!!) 'the Queen Mum'!

I shall make a concerted effort not to offend the sensibilities of others in this evidently sensitive matter!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Okay, I can respect that.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Aristocracy

May I call her 'Cake' then, as it was a pet name coined by someone who was not an 'enemy'? Or would that upset the HMQETQM worshippers brigade as being disrespectful? Goodness.... talking about Coo....I mean 'Cake' (HMQETQM) is almost akin to talking about Diana......egg shells all the way!!!!!!! I must ban myself from coming here!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:13 AM
Majesty

The difference is that 'Cake' was a name given and used affectionately not derogatively.
However to use confusion how hard is it to say the Queen Mum, which most people seem to have no problem using.
Please don't ban yourself as you add interest to the board and I do enjoy your posts, even if I don't always agree with you.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Aristocracy

'Kay Bertie I shall use QEQM instead!

I will and do try to make interesting and sometimes 'waggish' comments....your comments are always very interesting and I shall try and be a positive contributor too.....QEQM it is!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Sorry - but 'Cookie' was the term used by her arch-rival the Duchess of Windsor and was not an affectionate or complementary nickname but a derogatory one...
Thanks for speaking up, as someone who is new I didn't want to cause waves but it really isn't nice to see the disrespectful remarks being made. I know some people see it as humour but not everyone has that kind of humour.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you also Iluvbertie and Vicki J for speaking up. I thought the Cookie reference was quite disrespectful, considering the source that it originally came from.

I don't understand why she can not be referred to, as you pointed out most respectfully, QEQM, the Queen Mother or the Queen Mum. Considering she is the mother of the current Queen and did live to a ripe old age, I think good manners would encourage all of us to refer to her by her give or more common (and well-respected) names.

On a semi-related note, I am busy plowing my way through her biography. Interesting read, albeit a tad too long. But she did live a long and full life and one has to admire her stamina and devotion to crown and country.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Sorry - but 'Cookie' was the term used by her arch-rival the Duchess of Windsor and was not an affectionate or complementary nickname but a derogatory one...
First I would like to thank you for useing the wonderful word "poppycock"
I totally agree with you, the name Cookie is horrible and a true insult to a wonderful woman. She was one of the 3 greatest Queens in English history, she turned to monarchy around after Wallis ruined it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
I don't understand why she can not be referred to, as you pointed out most respectfully, QEQM, the Queen Mother or the Queen Mum. Considering she is the mother of the current Queen and did live to a ripe old age, I think good manners would encourage all of us to refer to her by her give or more common (and well-respected) names.
Thats exactly what I was thinking, why can't people just call her Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother? That was her name was it not?

And was her nickname "cake" ever used by a member of the public? Certain nicknames like Lillibet or Cake are for the royal family only, we shouldn't use them.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Administrator

I've created a new thread for the relationship between the Queen Mother and Duchess of Windsor and moved some recent posts over.
The new thread is here: Relationship between The Queen Mother and the Duchess of Windsor

NB..
contrary to my earlier note the new thread wasn't lost in cyberspace but merely misplaced.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Queen Mother's favourite childhood book?

Does anyone know what Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother's favourite childhood book was?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator

From September 2009 but the pic is worth posting in this thread...

Unseen pictures of Queen Mother unveiled - Telegraph

Photographs that capture part of the Queen Mother's remarkable life – one that spanned the 20th century - are being published for the first time.
One photograph shows the future Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in 1922 – the year before her wedding – with the Prince of Wales and Prince Henry of Gloucester.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
She was one of the 3 greatest Queens in English history, she turned to monarchy around after Wallis ruined it.
Just out of curiosity....who do you consider to be numbers 1 and 2?

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother