HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've also heard those stories and believe them to be true. I think I did mention in one of my posts that Margaret gave the QM a hard time over many things, especially what PM felt to be her lack of a proper education.

What was to stop her completing her own education? Perhaps it was easier to berate her mother for not properly attending to her educational needs-especially when she was suffering a hangover from last night and that evening was required to attend yet another party!!! Life must have been tough!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aliza

Thank you very much for your last few posts. I have learned more about HRH Princess Margaret from you than I had from reading mountains of books on the Royal family.

I have a vague memory of having read that she had been waiting for the POW to ask for her hand. One of the newspapers of the day printed the information that he was about to become engaged to a Scottish aristocrat. Should there have been any truth in her hopes for this, IMO, chalk and cheese union, might she have kept Bertie at arms length until all hopes of David had gone?

That's a repeated rumour that is not true.

The Lady Elizabeth Bowles Lyon had no desire to marry the Prince of Wales and vice versa.

It's been 111 years since she was born!

I wonder what her family is doing for her birthday.

Guys, we have a lengthy thread on the Shawcross biography in the Royal Library where some of the same issues and limitations with the book have been discussed. Rather than duplicating across threads, those posts discussing Shawcross and [better] bios have been moved to the Library thread.

Here's an amusing tale from a new volume by political diarist Chris Mullin:

July 3
At dinner with friends and their spouses, a woman who runs a bookshop in Wandsworth told us how the musician Sir Thomas Beecham, while shopping in Fortnum & Mason just after the war, was approached by a woman whom he vaguely recognised.
‘Sir Thomas, how are you?’ He replied that he was fine and, still unable to put a name to the woman, fished for clues. How were her children?
‘Fine.’ ‘And your husband?’ ‘Yes, he’s fine, too – still King.’

Read more: In his most riveting volume, Chris Mullin reveals what her majesty said as a murderer was sent to the gallows | Mail Online

:previous:
My dear Ladongas,
Thanks for the amusing anecdote. Didn't something similar happen to Prince Charles or Princess Anne when asked (by an American, I think) how his or her mother was, Charles or Anne responded, "Fine, she's still the Queen."

Yes, I think I have heard a similar story or two. One of them involves Princess Margaret- when asked, "how's your sister", she imperiously answered, "you mean Her Majesty the Queen!". I did like the QM story because it was so easy to imagine her saying it in a droll fashion.

That's a repeated rumour that is not true.

The Lady Elizabeth Bowles Lyon had no desire to marry the Prince of Wales and vice versa.

They would make an interesting couple!

I read a funny story in the Shawcross bio that before her marriage to Bertie,she danced with the POW and the next day,newspapers reported that they were engaged!Her siblings were teasing her,bowing to her and calling her "M'am"!

Yes, four of her relatives stood vigil:

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales
Prince Andrew, Duke of York
Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex

I think the fourth member may have been Prince Phillip- for a while, or perhaps Princess Anne's husband...? Prince Michael of Kent?

Does anyone know who the fourth person was? It was a man...I'm sure of that. It may have been Captain Phillips, Prince Phillip, or Prince Michael...

It was her other grandson Viscount Linley. You can find a clip of the vigil on you tube.

:previous:

My dear Ladongas,

Thanks for the amusing anecdote. Didn't something similar happen to Prince Charles or Princess Anne when asked (by an American, I think) how his or her mother was, Charles or Anne responded, "Fine, she's still the Queen."

The Queen very rarely goes to shops etc but sometimes, in Balmoral and Sandringham, she does go 'out and about'. Dressed in country tweeds and wearing an Hermes scarf, she does look like many ladies of her generation. It is quite well known in my circle that on one such occasion when the Queen was 'out and about' she was spotted by a couple of ladies, one of whom remarked to her that she 'looked very like the Queen'. To which the Queen apparently replied 'How very reassuring!' [It seems that the ladies did not think that it could possibly be the Queen that they had spotted, believing, as many of us do, that HM rarely leaves the confines of the castle etc]

That to me, is wonderful. It show more charm and finesse than the remarks attributed to various other royals, and it also shows a finely-tuned sense of humour, which our monarch is reputed to have.

Hope this gives you a smile too, Vasillisos

Alex

Reminds me of her niece Margaret Rhodes. When she was registering the QM's death she was asked for the husbands occupation, and her response ..King.

I am listening to the Portuguese radio right now, and Fernando da Costa has his programme about Portuguese history. He says that Salazar (the Portuguese dictator) would talk often on the phone with the Queen Mother. They would talk in French and about all kinds of subjects. Salazar thought that this helped change the UK vote in favor of Portugal, which had been critizised often for its colonial and other policies. :whistling:

Never knew that she spoke French!

Now that would be an interesting book! Yummy!! :ROFLMAO:

Never knew that she spoke French!

For a woman of her age and class I would have been surprised if she didn't speak French. It was part of the education of well-bred ladies.

The Queen Mother spent many vacations in France, staying at various chateaus and exploring the French countryside. This undoubtedly improved or maintained the language which she learnt as a child. I think (but I may be wrong) that she even had a French governess at one time. The Scots always had a great love for the French from the time of Mary Stuart.

I would suggest that the friendship between France and Scotland goes back a few centuries earlier than that - remember the old saying 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. Both Scotland and France were enemies of England from the 1000s onwards.

My dear Iluvbertie,

Right you are! Wasn't this known as The Auld Alliance?

Yes it was. It dates to the mid-1200s (1295 I think) about 250 years before Mary Queen of Scots married the Dauphin of France.

Ten years today since the death of the Queen Mum. I distinctly remember the BBC interrupting the normal TV schedule to announce her death. I then remember the day of her funeral, I was still at school at the time but we had a special assembly on the day to remember her and pray for her.

They don't make them like her anymore.

Back
Top Bottom