Harry and William's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here's something i want you guys to think about..alot of the time people say that harry is jealous of william like princess margaret was jealous of Queen elizbeth..in most royale houses the older sibling commands respect and power and holds a very established position within society whereas the younger one is usually refered to as "the spare"...but i think deep down its the other way round, a phrase used alot to describe william is "the reluctant would-be king" because of his relationship with the press but in his recent documentary prince harry said that william takes the brunt of things when it comes to criticism of their mother! Harry can afford to have a laugh, to a certain extent he can afford the odd scandel here and there..something that william cannot!
Prince Harry should be jealous of his well-mannered, best attitude and best behaviour brother, Prince William.

Prince Harry should be jealous of his well-mannered, best attitude and best behaviour brother, Prince William.

William wasn't showing such good manners in all of the interviews preceding the Concert for Diana. Poor Harry could barely get a word in edgewise.

I swear I'm not trying to inject the tabloid-like dramatics into the discussion, but it has occured to me another thing besides the king factor which might provoke jealousy in William is the girlfriend factor. I did notice his looks at the concert, almost longingly at Harry and Chelsy, like he wished he could have this kind of relationship. I don't know what prevents it, whether it's the king factor overlapping or it's a personal incapability of this kind of freeness of spirit in public situations.
That is to say that it seems that Harry seems more comfortable in his skin to the point where he can be freer in his relationship with Chelsy with an almost entirely oblivious attitude about the media. In the NBC interview, William said that he doesn't let the media affect his relationships, but I don't truly buy this. We always see him guarded and reserved. There is never an impulsive, nakedly honest moment with william, and it's especially true when he's with a girlfriend. Why is this? Is it just down to a personality difference between the brothers, or is it having to do with William feeling more pressure than Harry to close off that part of himself in public?

Last edited:
Looks wise he must be quite jealous. Harry really is quite gorgeous and William is plain gawky. Harry seems to have more fun than William and generally has things a bit easier. He also did well at Sandhurst before William got there. So it's possible William could be jealous of Harry but I think that's natural for any siblings, especially when one of them is going to be King.

It's pretty generally undisputed that Harry has turned out the better looking of the two, but somehow I doubt William feels any jealously about the looks. Maybe he's jealous about Harry not having any bald patch (yet) but, I don't know why, but somehow I imagine William feels pretty good about the way he looks, if only because so many magazines and gushing girls kissed up to him in his heydey. Besides, Harry is probably the only person in the world (except maybe Zara and Peter) who would tell him he's gawky to his face. Everyone else tells him how "great" he is and laughs when he's not even funny, just because he's Prince William. :D

William wasn't showing such good manners in all of the interviews preceding the Concert for Diana. Poor Harry could barely get a word in edgewise.
I wasn't not meaning his manners in the interview alone but his manners all this while. If he wasn't showing good manners during the interview doesn't mean he is bad and if Prince Harry showed good manners during the interview doesn't mean he is good. Never "Judge A Book By Its Cover". Prince Harry is the one that appeared in the news paper regularly for his behaviour than Prince William.

William is reserved and he doesn't show his feelings to people he doesnt' know but that is perfectly normal for some people and the press doesn't necessarily have any thing to do with it. William with his distaste for public display could just as easily be embarassed by Harry's open show of emotions. In fact, I would say it would be more likely that it embarasses him rather than make him feel jealous.

Looks wise he must be quite jealous. Harry really is quite gorgeous and William is plain gawky. Harry seems to have more fun than William and generally has things a bit easier. He also did well at Sandhurst before William got there. So it's possible William could be jealous of Harry but I think that's natural for any siblings, especially when one of them is going to be King.

to each their own...i find william the better looking of the two but i do agree it's natural for siblings to be jealous of one another at times. the grass is always greener on the other side isn't it.

The grass is always greener comment is a very good one.

I always thought when the boys were young that Harry might feel a bit slighted because so much more attention was put on William and in a way he was presented as being more important because he was next in line for the throne.

Now that the boys are older, William may feel slighted because his status has put him in a postition where he cannot be as carefree as Harry with his life, his girlfriend, ect...

IMO Harry appears to be very confident, outgoing and comfortable with who he is and lives his life this way. William appears to be more reserve, shy and not comfortable with the responsibilities that force him to be less carefree and more aware of these responsibilities.

I'm sure there were times when Harry wished he was William and times when William wished he were Harry.

The grass is always greener. :flowers:

great analysis. i think both boys have their moments of wishing they were in the other's shoes.

I wasn't not meaning his manners in the interview alone but his manners all this while. If he wasn't showing good manners during the interview doesn't mean he is bad and if Prince Harry showed good manners during the interview doesn't mean he is good. Never "Judge A Book By Its Cover". Prince Harry is the one that appeared in the news paper regularly for his behaviour than Prince William.

he didn't appear that often because harry was there to save the day...if i'm not wrong in all the royal generations the 'spare' was the black ship of the family, but that doesn't mean wills doesn't do most of the things harry does. he was seen coming out of night clubs looking horrible. take for example the irak party...harrry and chelsy left about 1pm and wills was left chatting with girls till about 3pm...so it's not always harry....

back to the threat i don't think harry is jealous of wills because he's going to become king as that is not quite an advantage, but more of other qualities that wills has and he doesn't.

if i'm not wrong in all the royal generations the 'spare' was the black ship of the family,

I don't think you can say that about George V or George VI, who both were "spares". And were George IV's brothers any more black sheep than he was?
Or Edward VII's brothers?r

i fromulated it wrong as i was refering to the times in which the press really started to intrude more in their private lives.

Troubled Harry

In my opinion, Harry, whom appears carefree and fun, is truly troubled. He acts up in public places after abusing substances such as alcohol and marijuana. Vino Veritas (is latin)for, wine tells the truth.
He looses control and shows his inner termoil. He has plenty of demons to fight, especially with having to accept all the ugly circumstances surrounding his mother's death and his fathers re-marriage to a women, that not only ruined his mother's marriage and happiness, but is forced to pretend he likes her, according to Harry. (William has never said this, neither does he ever mention her) Harry has said he "love's her to bits". I for one, will never believe him. Harry isn't more fun, but much more confused. His personality is such that he is easly manipulated by his father to say and do whatever Prince Charles wishes. William, on the other hand, knowing and remembering so much more about his mothers suffering, would have a difficult time lying so easly to the British public. He keeps it all inside. After all, he will be King. Harry, aka "the spare" regardless of all the brain washing from Prince Charles, that has taken place since 1997, knows something is very disturbing about a woman his mother despised so much becoming his stepmother. I feel for them both. Born so priviledged, and yet trapped into this horrible nightmare.

I cannot agree with your assessments, PoLo. I have too much trust in William's and Harry's abilities to think of themselves. Even if Charles wanted to brainwash them (far-fetched in itself) he could not do it. How could he? If he had such brainwashing powers, surely he would have used them on others (i.e. Diana, i.e. reporters working against him). :lol:

I also don't believe Charles could brain wash the boys, especally considering he did not spend that much time with them, they were away at school most of the year and Diana had them through their most formitive years. I think they behave in a lot of ways like a Windsor but that is to be expected but I think it is more their grandmother and grandfather who influenced that and I still think they think for themselves a lot. They had the concert and the memorial when I am sure the Windsor's would love to just keep it in the past and not bring Diana up so much publicly, so to me that shows that they can think for themselves and stand up for themselves. Remember, there is a whole "firm" that they have to answer too and who try to control them. Back to the jealous part, I would be jealous of Harry only because he will have a much more open life, every move doesn't have to be mapped out years a head of time like William.

:flowers:I do believe William is jealous of Harry. Harry can have a laugh, let his hair down and enjoy himself. It shows. Look back at the Concert for Diana. William looked awkward (and yes Harry at times did too) but you could see Harry was more relaxed. It is actually very visible to the public that Harry is more of a Spencer and William is more a Windsor (hence the seating at the memorial Ceremony). Harry has aklso got a really lovely and loyal girlfriend in the form of Chelsy. Yes they have had their ups and downs but Chelsy hasn't gone running the other direction when a kiss 'n tell has appeared in the press about Harry unlike William. Chelsy and Harry are really affectionate with eachother (in public and presumably in private too). Its something Diana instilled in her boys that you are allowed to show how you feel. As we have hardly seen William snuggle up to Kate it seems he struggles with trying to do this. Therefore he seems and Kate aswell that they are a bit rigid and don't want to appear like a young couple should do.
Rock on to Harry and Chelsy I say

I can see the point of Rebafan, especially considering that Prince Harry will be able to have a full army career. He will most likely stay in the army and achieve a flag officer rank like Prince Andrew and Tim Laurence have done, only in the navy for their cases. At the same time, I am not entirely convinced that Prince William would envy that. I'm not convinced that he particularly enjoys the army, honestly. He says he likes it, but then he also says he would rather fly helicopters, and it doesn't seem like he is able to do that now, or ever, because of the height issue. Like Diana was too tall to be a ballerina, William has grown too tall to be a pilot.:sad:

To me William has nothing to be jealous about, unless he is jealous about Harry and Chelsy's relationship which I don't think he is, but William is the one who knows what he will do when he is older, and William is not always getting in trouble like Harry. To me William is maturer than Harry, although I do think he could use a boost of self-confidence.

I don't find Harry and William jealous of each other. Both brothers have very different personalities, but I don't see any rivalry going on. Harry obviously has more choices regards his future career, William has more pressure, but that's it.

That was a thoughtful post Lakshmi, I do agree with your idea. I doubt if Prince William is jealous of Prince Harry, or vice versa. I haven't seen any rivalry either. If anything, Prince William seems to be a bit protective of his brother judging by their interviews with the media.

I am not surprised to read responses to Polo's post and note how measured and reasonable they are. As ever, they're a credit to this Board.

Me, I'm not so sanguine.

I dispute that anyone who's not examined the princes in a professional capacity can make the sorts of wild assertions that Polo does.

I agree, Harry misbehaves at times and I don't appreciate seeing a prince of the realm drunk and in the gutter. I also believe that he needs to live up to his position a little more, not just live off it.

That being said, there are important indicators that Harry has character:

First, he's completed an officer training course at Sandhurst. I know from family experience that this is not an easy task, and can, indeed, be gruelling. There is no evidence that Harry, in any way, was not subject to the same rigours and demands of his fellow trainee-officers.

Second, he showed that he is a young man of sensitivity and capable of love and devotion to an ideal - his mother. Most young men would shrink from making such emotionally bald assertions as he did at Diana's recent memorial; they'd think that it wasn't 'cool'.

Third, and importantly, he has been Chelsy's boyfriend for years now. This sort of constancy in a young, sometimes silly young man, speaks loudly to me. We've all seen him with other young women in bars and pubs, but always when Chelsy was thousands of miles away and not available to protect him from those who might wish to compromise him or further their own interests.

Chelsy is a wealthy young woman and supposedly, a very bright one. Harry's not the smartest pea in the pod, we know, but there must be something praiseworthy and lovable about him to maintain Chelsy's interest and love. That he's a royal prince? I hear someone reply. Clever and educated young women like Chelsy of independent means don't hang onto a relationship for those sorts of reasons these days.

And let's not forget that Harry is an outstanding athlete. If he weren't a royal, I'm convinced that he'd make a large income from his sporting prowess, which he's currently denied because of his position.

In short, he doesn't seem to be too psychologically challenged to me. If I have access to a reputable psychological profile of him which disputes the common sense interpretation of his behaviour, then I'll happily stand corrected.

And my view on Prince Charles' brainwashing of his sons...pshaw! Arrant nonsense, I say!

I don't know about Chelsy,if she was that smart,she probably should have shyed away frem Harry at the beginning.I would never get involved with a prince,fame to me is the shallowest thing in the world.

I don't know about Chelsy,if she was that smart,she probably should have shyed away frem Harry at the beginning.I would never get involved with a prince,fame to me is the shallowest thing in the world.

I would say the same, but sometimes you find yourself attracted to someone such that you cannot pull away, even when you want more than anything to do so. It's even more difficult when you find a connection that goes below the surface. That could be the case here.

Or it could be simple hormones! :D But even hormones don't go this long.

I am not surprised to read responses to Polo's post and note how measured and reasonable they are. As ever, they're a credit to this Board.
Polly, I enjoyed reading your views (as well as everyone elses), somehow I can see Prince Harry with Princess Chelsy at his side doing Charity work, especially in Africa........I don't think he is as "slow" as some think he is, perhaps only "slow" when not interested in the subject. He is much more articulate than his brother when speaking, but he does need to control his temper and binge drinking---both could have a negative and lasting effet on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, Harry, whom appears carefree and fun, is truly troubled. He acts up in public places after abusing substances such as alcohol and marijuana. Vino Veritas (is latin)for, wine tells the truth.
He looses control and shows his inner termoil. He has plenty of demons to fight, especially with having to accept all the ugly circumstances surrounding his mother's death and his fathers re-marriage to a women, that not only ruined his mother's marriage and happiness, but is forced to pretend he likes her, according to Harry. (William has never said this, neither does he ever mention her) Harry has said he "love's her to bits". I for one, will never believe him. Harry isn't more fun, but much more confused. His personality is such that he is easly manipulated by his father to say and do whatever Prince Charles wishes. William, on the other hand, knowing and remembering so much more about his mothers suffering, would have a difficult time lying so easly to the British public. He keeps it all inside. After all, he will be King. Harry, aka "the spare" regardless of all the brain washing from Prince Charles, that has taken place since 1997, knows something is very disturbing about a woman his mother despised so much becoming his stepmother. I feel for them both. Born so priviledged, and yet trapped into this horrible nightmare.

I agree to a point... It is very oviouse that Harry has problems, I hope he getting help with them. I don't think that Charles manipulates Harry's opinions. Harry just doesn't share dirty laundry and family problems with the public and he shouldn't. William just stays quiet because he doesn't like sharing his feelings in public.

Both brothers are probably scarred from their parents' divorce, the death of their mother and the remarriage of their father [edited by Avalon] who caused their mother so much unhappiness. I don't believe they are jealous of each other but rather are close because of the unfortunate events that has happened. They probably relied on each other for support and will do so in the future. IMHO

Both brothers are probably scarred from their parents' divorce, the death of their mother and the remarriage of their father who caused their mother so much unhappiness. I don't believe they are jealous of each other but rather are close because of the unfortunate events that has happened. They probably relied on each other for support and will do so in the future. IMHO

I agree with you ladyinwaiting. I have been touched and extremely happy about their closeness. I get this impression from watching how they interact during the interview, during their beloved mother's memorials and during their grandparents' diamond jubilee. No I do not get the vibes that either one is jealous of the other.

Royal siblings: Prince William and Prince Harry’s special bond

Prince George can look forward to having a little brother or sister to play with now that the Duchess of Cambridge (née Kate Middleton) is pregnant once again.

The one-year-old heir to the British throne need look no further than his father and uncle – Prince William and Prince Harry – to understand the importance of sibling love.

Best friends from a young age, the princes grew up in the spotlight together and have remained incredibly close since the loss of their mother, Princess Diana.
Royal siblings: Prince William and Prince Harry?s special bond - HELLO! Canada

Back
Top Bottom