Harry and William's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As the years go by, I can see Harry being a big part of his brother's reign. Perhaps we'd be better off calling him a Vice King?

(ducks and runs for cover)

William's own children will be a big part of his reign. Harry will fade into the background

William's own children will be a big part of his reign. Harry will fade into the background

I respectfully disagree. As close as William and Harry are, I think Harry will play a very major part in the operations of the Firm in William's reign.

Harry and William are close but the business of the firm is different. Harry will play a role in Charles's reign just like the Queen's children play a part now but during William's reign the focus shifts to the King and his heir, not brother.

We are used to the way the royal family operates now, with the Queen, Prince Philip and all their children plus royal cousins on board with royal duties and engagements.

As the ranks thin, with the more elderly members of the family gone, King Charles and Queen Camilla, then King William and Queen Catherine are going to need all the help they can get. Even in a slimmed down monarchy, even if Beatrice is recruited, they are going to need Harry (and wife) for a very long time.

If William and Kate have just the two children they still have to be educated, to tertiary level at least, before beginning to undertake royal duties.

We just don't know when Charles or William will come to the throne. It's quite unlikely, given the longevity of the Windsors, but William might still have a young family of school age children when he becomes King. Either way there's certainly going to be a role for Harry as a senior royal in the public eye into his fifties.

.Prince Harry represented his father, the Prince of Wales, at the service of remembrance and re-dedication for members of the Victoria Cross and George Cross Association at St. Martin-in-the-Fields in London today, October 29, 2014.

** gettyimages gallery **

Harry has inherited his father's sartorial eye for elegant dressing. :flowers: He's looking good.

Regarding William and Harry once William is King, I think William will keep Harry close the same way the Queen kept her sister Margaret close. Family is family and a shared history is very comforting in the glare of the public. I think Harry will be around the way Charles's siblings will be around for King Charles. JMO. :)

You guys keep saying William and Harry are super close, that they are bff's but I'm not seeing it. Are Harry and William really that close?

They both have made references of not spending much time together. I read Harry never visited William at St. Andrews while Pippa and James made frequent visits.
At the time of William's engagement Harry talked about looking forward to getting to know Catherine, William's spouse of a decade! I don't think Pippa or James would ever say they hardly know William.
Don't use the Best Man argument because Edward was Andrew's Best Man. And those two act like strangers half the time. It seems to be royal tradition to ask your sibling to represent you.
When it's time for vacations William and Catherine go with the Middletons or by themselves. Harry vacations with the Yorks or with his friends.They even have a different crew of friends: Harry's friends- Tom Inskip, Jake Warren, Guy Pelly, Adam Bidwell and Arthur Landon. William's friends-James Meade, Tom Van Straubenzee, William Van Custom, Jecca Craig and Harry Aubrey-Flecther. The brothers also rarely attend each others birthday parties.

I'm sorry but in my eyes Elizabeth/Margaret, Peter/Zara, Beatrice/Eugenie and Catherine/Pippa/James are all MUCH closer than William/Harry.

Unless they magically become closer over the next 20 years, don't expect anything resembling a Vice King/right hand man. Just like I wouldn't expect Andrew or Edward to behave like Vice Kings either. They aren't that close to Charles.

You guys keep saying William and Harry are super close, that they are bff's but I'm not seeing it. Are Harry and William really that close?

[...]

I'm sorry but in my eyes Elizabeth/Margaret, Peter/Zara, Beatrice/Eugenie and Catherine/Pippa/James are all MUCH closer than William/Harry.

They've nightclubbed together, though they've gone to deep cover regarding that since George was born. They spent that hunting weekend together when Jecca Craig was along. They have attended the same weddings.

I think it's to be expected that once one of them married and was with children the brothers would drift. However, I'm not sure we, the public, really can know what the private lives of the BRF are like. Simply because there are no pictures or 'sightings' does not mean that private lives are not flourishing where they belong, in private.

Unless they magically become closer over the next 20 years, don't expect anything resembling a Vice King/right hand man. Just like I wouldn't expect Andrew or Edward to behave like Vice Kings either. They aren't that close to Charles.

In fact, Charles was, according to reports, very much involved with his younger brothers as they grew up. He was their much older brother who played with them, and read to them before bedtime. As grown men they may have their own lives but I think it would be a mistake to assume relationships or lack of relationships from photo-ops or lack of photo-ops. That's a separate reality. JMHO. :flowers:

Last edited:
Nightclubbing together once every few years and attending some of the same society weddings is hardly evidence of deep comradery. If that's the case Harry is the bff of half the aristo set.

I'm not only talking about photo-ops, I'm talking about verbal references and acts of intimacy. I'm not seeing it. Not to say they dislike one another, but they don't seem to be major players in each others life. That is perfectly normal. Most adult siblings aren't super close

I'm happy that Harry has the Yorks and his crew of friends they seem to be the spark to his match.

Nightclubbing together once every few years and attending some of the same society weddings is hardly evidence of deep comradery. If that's the case Harry is the bff of half the aristo set.

I'm not only talking about photo-ops, I'm talking about verbal references and acts of intimacy. I'm not seeing it. Not to say they dislike one another, but they don't seem to be major players in each others life. That is perfectly normal. Most adult siblings aren't super close

I'm happy that Harry has the Yorks and his crew of friends they seem to be the spark to his match.

I always thought that as they grew older and their lives started taking different paths, they came up with a subtle way of letting each other know they're in their thoughts. Little things such as the quips they make about each other are perhaps their way of sending a hello to each other when they're miles apart. Lets not forget too the time Harry was in a race (Africa, I believe) and ran holding a face mask of William in front of them. They're constantly teasing and goading each other.

Harry is also living in Nottingham Cottage at KP and I imagine its quite easy for him to nip across the grounds and pay a visit to Apt. 1A.

Truth is, their private relationship is just that. We'll probably never know how close or distant these two brothers are. I get the vibe that they're quite close but others see it differently.

Princes Harry and William are very different in personalities. A biographer described Harry as a Spencer, the reincarnation of a rip-roaring devil-may -care 18th century aristocrat, the sort that would lead a cavalry charge or sail over a six foot gate on the hunting field. William, on the other hand is a much more cautious and conservative person.

However, William and Harry bonded as children through their experiences of living through their parents' dreadful marriage. They rarely speak about their feelings for each other.

I do remember one occasion, years ago. I believe they were in Lesotho and it was cold. They'd ridden on mules and were wearing blankets and beanies because of the weather. Harry spoke about how he regarded it as his duty in the future to be there for his brother and support him. He added 'as his life will be harder than mine'. William shook his head vigorously as his brother said that.

They banter and joke about each other, as siblings do, when they perform royal engagements together. We forget that we see only brief moments of their lives.

I remember Harry speaking about George and saying that the baby smiled at him as he was having a bath when his uncle called in. Harry joked that before that he had only seen him sleeping and crying. The brothers live close to each other at Kensington Palace and Harry must call in frequently or we wouldnt have got that little vignette from him.

I always thought that as they grew older and their lives started taking different paths, they came up with a subtle way of letting each other know they're in their thoughts. Little things such as the quips they make about each other are perhaps their way of sending a hello to each other when they're miles apart. Lets not forget too the time Harry was in a race (Africa, I believe) and ran holding a face mask of William in front of them. They're constantly teasing and goading each other.

Harry is also living in Nottingham Cottage at KP and I imagine its quite easy for him to nip across the grounds and pay a visit to Apt. 1A.

Truth is, their private relationship is just that. We'll probably never know how close or distant these two brothers are. I get the vibe that they're quite close but others see it differently.

I totally agree with everything that you say especially the bolded part.

Although we obviously have an interest in the British royals as follow their comings and goings BUT they don't have to disprove or prove to us what their private relationships are.

Are William and Harry close? We assume so but we really have no way of knowing. What I do know is that they probably have a different relationship than they one they had while growing up and sharing a home.

They are both grown men but William is married now with a family. Harry has his own personal interests. Of course they aren't going to spend as much time together.

The brothers have a very easy, joking familiarity with each other that I think would be hard to pull off if they weren't genuinely close.

William often makes teasing remarks and jokes about his brother in speeches and public engagements, and Harry does the same. Why would they fake this affection towards each other if their relationship was distant?

True. Their private lives will always be enigmatic. Behind closed doors they could be lovebugs or Cain and Abel.

But their public identities as brothers seems clear-cut to me! They haven't acted overly close since before William graduated Eton. I don't see how that would change once William becomes King. If anything they will grow further apart with age and once they both have children.

I think it's sweet that so many of you see The Wales Boys vs. The World. In a perfect world it would probably be that way. I just don't think it's realistic.

Princes Harry and William are very different in personalities. A biographer described Harry as a Spencer, the reincarnation of a rip-roaring devil-may -care 18th century aristocrat, the sort that would lead a cavalry charge or sail over a six foot gate on the hunting field. William, on the other hand is a much more cautious and conservative person.

However, William and Harry bonded as children through their experiences of living through their parents' dreadful marriage. They rarely speak about their feelings for each other.

I do remember one occasion, years ago. I believe they were in Lesotho and it was cold. They'd ridden on mules and were wearing blankets and beanies because of the weather. Harry spoke about how he regarded it as his duty in the future to be there for his brother and support him. He added 'as his life will be harder than mine'. William shook his head vigorously as his brother said that.

They banter and joke about each other, as siblings do, when they perform royal engagements together. We forget that we see only brief moments of their lives.

I remember Harry speaking about George and saying that the baby smiled at him as he was having a bath when his uncle called in. Harry joked that before that he had only seen him sleeping and crying. The brothers live close to each other at Kensington Palace and Harry must call in frequently or we wouldnt have got that little vignette from him.

Curryong, your #131 and #136 posts are duplicates. You might have a computer glitch. Or maybe you just want to reinforce your point. LOL. I thought I should bring it to your attention just in case.

Yes, sorry about that! My computer just decided to have its own way this afternoon!:)

While I don't doubt that Harry/Wills are close, I don't think we are going to see Harry as some sort or Vice-King. The stuff that King William V would do - read the red boxes, meeting with PM, world leaders, ambassadors etc is hands on work for the monarch. Also how are heirs trained, from monarch to heir. William will be tutored by his father and then he will tutor George.

Harry will still be and active royal and a councillor of state for most of his life but his path is different than William. Maybe he takes up the Prince's Trust work of his father.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

All of this vice-king stuff comes from disgruntled Harryites who havn't managed to make peace with the fact Harry will never be king and will become increasingly irrelevant to the future of the monarchy

Last edited:
True. Their private lives will always be enigmatic. Behind closed doors they could be lovebugs or Cain and Abel.

But their public identities as brothers seems clear-cut to me! They haven't acted overly close since before William graduated Eton. I don't see how that would change once William becomes King. If anything they will grow further apart with age and once they both have children.

I think it's sweet that so many of you see The Wales Boys vs. The World. In a perfect world it would probably be that way. I just don't think it's realistic.

From what I have seen, and I'm truly cynical, I think they do have a close relationship, in that British sort of way - they don't fall all over each other, they are more reserved. I think it really depends on what you see as "close", and take into account that NO relationship is ever perfect, they are always filled with ups and downs.

I compare it to my brother - I would consider us "close" - we don't talk too much, we text each other quips now and again, when we get together we usually trade snark. We don't always see eye to eye and we can get on each other's nerves. But when something goes wrong - a medical issue, some other issue, etc, we are there. Right there. One of the first ones to call the other, or jump in to help. Holidays - we make it a point to get together. Always. You wouldn't think it from our day-to-day relationship, but I think it's like that with a lot of siblings.

All of this vice-king stuff comes from disgruntled Harryites who havn't managed to make peace with the fact Harry will never be king and will become increasingly irrelevant to the future of the monarchy

It was me that quipped the "Vice King". Not that I ever expect that title to come into being in this reality but using it like one would use the term "second banana" "sidekick" "right hand man" etc. I do think Harry will play a major role in his brother's reign and stand behind him 100%.

It was never meant to be taken seriously. :D

As always, it depends on the definition of "close." From everything I have read, William and Harry are very close. Perhaps they don't "hang out" as often as they do with other people, but that isn't unusual. William is married, has one child and another on the way. They both have full-time jobs. I also think men are different in the way they maintain relationships.

I spent more time with my sisters and other friends before I started full-time work and got married. I still talk to them on the phone and email regularly but I only have x amount of time.

I will bet anything that William and Harry regularly talk and seek out each other's advice and support. Not only did they grow up together, but they enjoy the same sort of activities (polo, shooting tennis, etc...), and they know (and like) each other's friends. Harry and Catherine seem to get along very well.

We only hear about it when they go out in public but I am sure there are many get togethers we never hear about. For example, a poster who toured Highgrove this year said that Charles saw William, Catherine, and George once a week for Sunday dinner (I'm sure Harry is invited too). I didn't know that. I read a lot more about William and Catherine seeing the Middletons. There are many things happening behind the scenes that we never see--and thank goodness for that.

I think their relationship is like any other one between siblings...They seem to have different character and personalities. I guess they go along well even if William has his family and probably the don't see much of each other...

They both have made references of not spending much time together. I read Harry never visited William at St. Andrews while Pippa and James made frequent visits.
At the time of William's engagement Harry talked about looking forward to getting to know Catherine, William's spouse of a decade! I don't think Pippa or James would ever say they hardly know William.
Don't use the Best Man argument because Edward was Andrew's Best Man. And those two act like strangers half the time. It seems to be royal tradition to ask your sibling to represent you.
When it's time for vacations William and Catherine go with the Middletons or by themselves. Harry vacations with the Yorks or with his friends.They even have a different crew of friends: Harry's friends- Tom Inskip, Jake Warren, Guy Pelly, Adam Bidwell and Arthur Landon. William's friends-James Meade, Tom Van Straubenzee, William Van Custom, Jecca Craig and Harry Aubrey-Flecther. The brothers also rarely attend each others birthday parties.

I just came across this old article on Tumblr, so I thought I would make an addendum to my old post.
Edward's TV company to air William gossip | Media | The Guardian
According to Prince Edward and his film company, William and Harry " don't get on". Now that might have been a slight exaggeration by Prince Edward to get viewership bait for his floundering company, but I have long thought the fanciful deep bond between the brothers was mere wishful thinking by their fans. The last vestige of The Wales Fairy Tale. Are they brothers? Yes. Are they social-set acquaintances? Yes. Are they close friends? Nope. It's kind of nice to know their uncle agrees with me.

:previous: It's a twelve-year-old article. Even if it was true then, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's true now.:ermm:

Really? Do some people really think that we know how much they talk or see each other. To me, from what I see, their quips at each other show that kind of long lasting friendship you get from being siblings. Do I think they are best buds and hang out all the time? No I don't. But for me that is not the definition of being close. Me and my little sister are very, very different people. We would never be able to socialize in an outward/public manner because we wouldn't be at the same kinds of places. But we are really, really close. I would defend her against anything in the universe and she me. Yes, we fight and gnab. But we also sit down besides each other and talk for hours. Or just send a funny video that you know she will like. We probably won't be able to spend very much time together when we get even older but that doesn't mean you're not close. Ever heard of skype and such.

I am not saying that they have that kind of relationship. This is just a counter argument against "they are so different personalities" being a factor in how close you are. That's the charm about siblings and childhood friends. Even though you morph into totally different people, that closeness and rapport is so deeply routed that it remains easy to talk to each other even when it sometimes goes long periods between.

Also, we know they see each other more often than we know. Like someone here earlier said, about the bathstory. Or in the interview Harry did when the pregnancy came out. When they asked him how she was feeling he said "last time I saw her she felt poorly" or something to that effect. We know that she couldn't have been feeling sick very long so it is a very short span of time for him to have been there. Him visiting his "sister" (as he likes to call her) and brother when she is feeling so ill also speaks to their relationship.

I in no way am saying I know they are close. All I'm saying is that they probably see each other more often than we will ever get to know of.

William said in the interview with Gary Linklater why he picked Aston Villa to support and how he didn't just want to be like most every one and follow the top teams such as Man U, Chelsea etc. I don't think the Prince of Wales is big into football so it's not like William and Harry were brought up in a big football family where they were following a team since they were little and everyone in there family supports one team. Maybe William will get that with his family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom