The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 PM
cmbruno's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 438
The Franks were "German"
The Celts originated from Halstatt (Austria) 600BC so "German" as well.
The Vikings, Goths, Visigoths, Ostrogoths were also German.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: philadelphia, United States
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
The Franks were "German"
The Celts originated from Halstatt (Austria) 600BC so "German" as well.
The Vikings, Goths, Visigoths, Ostrogoths were also German.
Well,it seems that the vast majority of the British population have Germanic ancestry,not only the Royal family...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
The Franks were "German"
The Celts originated from Halstatt (Austria) 600BC so "German" as well.
The Vikings, Goths, Visigoths, Ostrogoths were also German.

The Celts are Celts and nothing else. They might originate from what today is called Austria but at the time there wasn't a German insight anywhere near.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 07-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: philadelphia, United States
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The Celts are Celts and nothing else. They might originate from what today is called Austria but at the time there wasn't a German insight anywhere near.
"An introduction of language"(1993) by Victoria Fremkin and Robert Rodman:

"Romans invaded Britain in the first century AD and dominated Germanic Celts, the previous conquerors of Britain.Britain's northern tribes, the Scots and Picts were attacking the Celtic invaders at the time that the Romans arrived, but Rome prevailed.And as the power of Rome declined in the fifth century, the Romans left Britain.

The Celts then sent for Germanic Jutes(Teuton mercenaries) to repel their old enemies, the Scots and and the Picts.In 449 AD., the Jutes helped to defeat the Scots and the Picts and having won, decided to dominate their cousins the Celts with the help of other German tribes, the Angles and Saxons.It is from an Angles and Saxons and the linguistic soup already present in British Isles that English was born."
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,751
When Queen Elizabeth II visited Germany in 1965, newspapers and magazines published the Windsor family tree with its German roots
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:58 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,966
Quote:
"Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith".

You can’t get more British than that, really.

Yet as the Queen prepares for another state visit to Germany, idle minds again turn to questions about the connections between our two countries, and not least the Teutonic heritage of the Royal Family.

So, to put it in a nutshell, how German is the Queen?
More: How German is the Queen? - Telegraph
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post

------------------------------------------

Officially (and luckily for the British Royal Family), nationality is determined by jus soli. Therefore all Monarchs since Queen Victoria at least, have been British.

What do you all think?
Nationality is not determined by jus soli in the UK. A person born in Britain whose parents are both non-British is not British. Conversely, a person who is born overseas, but has at least one British parent can obtain British nationality. At least that is what I thought. Has the law changed lately ?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Nationality is not determined by jus soli in the UK. A person born in Britain whose parents are both non-British is not British. Conversely, a person who is born overseas, but has at least one British parent can obtain British nationality. At least that is what I thought. Has the law changed lately ?

But what determines if a person's parents are British?

George III was born in Britain to parents who were not born in Britain. His son, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, was born in Britain to a father who was also born in Britain and a mother who was not. Edward's daughter, Victoria, was also born in Britain with similar parentage, and her son, Edward VII, was born in Britain to a mother born in Britain but a father born outside of it. George V was born in Britain to a British-born father and married a woman, Mary, who was born in Britain to parents who were not born in Britain although her mother had a British born father. George VI was born in Britain to this British born couple, married a British born wife, and had a daughter who was born in Britain.

By that same argument, the DoE was born in Greece to a mother who was born in Britain, and her mother, and grandmother, great-grandmother (Victoria), great-great-grandfather (Edward), and great-great-great-grandfather (George III) were all born in Britain.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
But what determines if a person's parents are British?

George III was born in Britain to parents who were not born in Britain. His son, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, was born in Britain to a father who was also born in Britain and a mother who was not. Edward's daughter, Victoria, was also born in Britain with similar parentage, and her son, Edward VII, was born in Britain to a mother born in Britain but a father born outside of it. George V was born in Britain to a British-born father and married a woman, Mary, who was born in Britain to parents who were not born in Britain although her mother had a British born father. George VI was born in Britain to this British born couple, married a British born wife, and had a daughter who was born in Britain.

By that same argument, the DoE was born in Greece to a mother who was born in Britain, and her mother, and grandmother, great-grandmother (Victoria), great-great-grandfather (Edward), and great-great-great-grandfather (George III) were all born in Britain.

The British posters can answer your questions much better than I. My understanding, however, is that there is a law (or there used to be a law) according to which all descendants of Sophia of Hanover, no matter where they were born or who their parents were, were entitled to British nationality.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,966
^^^ The Sophia Naturalization Act passed in 1705, gave in perpetuity the right of British citizenship to Sophia of Hanover's non-Catholic descendants.

The Act was repealed by section 34 of, and Part II of Schedule 4 to, the British Nationality Act 1948
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,570
If we are talking blood...then the current grandchildren and great-grandchildren are the most British the Royal Family has been in years. The Queen is half Scottish thanks to her mother. You must all remember up until recently in the 40 years or so the Nobility looked down upon the Royal Family and called them "Those Germans". Even Diana allegedly used that phrase as well when she was upset with them. Putting aside where a person was born, the current two generations are the most British ever if we are talking about blood as opposed to birth place.
__________________
Lady M
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The British posters can answer your questions much better than I. My understanding, however, is that there is a law (or there used to be a law) according to which all descendants of Sophia of Hanover, no matter where they were born or who their parents were, were entitled to British nationality.

But that's not the argument you were making. You said that a person's British citizenship depends on their parents (which isn't entirely accurate itself), so I questioned at what point are the parents in question British?

Disregarding the Sophia Naturalization Act, every British monarch since George III has been British citizens at birth on the grounds that they were born in Britain to an individual who was either a British citizen or someone who was legally settled in the UK.

Yes, I went to the UK government website on British citizenship to figure this out.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: philadelphia, United States
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
If we are talking blood...then the current grandchildren and great-grandchildren are the most British the Royal Family has been in years. The Queen is half Scottish thanks to her mother.
True,but if we talk about blood,Diana is also a descendant of the House of Hanover through Countess Sophia Charlotte von Platen-Hallermund,daughter of Elector Ernst August von Hannover and Clara Elisabeth von Meysenburg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
You must all remember up until recently in the 40 years or so the Nobility looked down upon the Royal Family and called them "Those Germans". Even Diana allegedly used that phrase as well when she was upset with them. Putting aside where a person was born, the current two generations are the most British ever if we are talking about blood as opposed to birth place.
Well,who looked down on whom is very debatable as the Gotha I and II "circle" didn't want to intermarry with British nobility in the first place which was a "punch in face" to them...so,a phrase could be only a reaction to something they didn't already like...
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 06-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Nationality is not determined by jus soli in the UK. A person born in Britain whose parents are both non-British is not British. Conversely, a person who is born overseas, but has at least one British parent can obtain British nationality. At least that is what I thought. Has the law changed lately ?
People who were born in the UK before 1 January 1983 are British citizens. https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...sh-citizenship
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, heritage, history, nationality


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Princely and Ducal House of Rohan Marengo Royal Families of France 19 07-15-2015 06:47 PM
Windsor/Windsor-Mountbatten: Name of Royal House and Surname HRH Kimetha British Royals 121 04-02-2015 08:30 AM
Frogmore House, Windsor CatherineJ British Royal Residences 43 01-26-2014 03:17 PM
List of royal residences in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth Elspeth British Royal Residences 0 11-04-2008 02:30 PM




Popular Tags
australia best outfit camilla carl philip chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death denmark duchess of cornwall fashion fashion poll felipe vi france funeral general news germany hereditary grand duchess stéphanie infanta leonor king felipe king felipe vi king harald king philippe king willem-alexander letizia maxima nobility official visit picture of the week president hollande prince carl philip prince charles prince daniel prince frederik prince of wales princess ariane princess beatrice princess catharina-amalia princess eugenie princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary style princess mette-marit princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal royal fashion sofia hellqvist spanish royals state visit sweden victoria wedding willem-alexander


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises