The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://royalkents.tumblr.com/image/33006357455
Princess Marina with her sisters Elisabeth and Olga.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
http://royalkents.tumblr.com/image/33006357455
Princess Marina with her sisters Elisabeth and Olga.
Woah, which one is which?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Marina is the first one on the photo, the next are her sisters.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

This was posted today about George and Marina's wedding:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Marina's Gown

It's a good read. Does anyone know if Hugo Vickers claim that Marina was the only war widow in Britain who had to pay death duties was true? If so, why was she an exception?

Here is a lovely group photo of the wedding from the NPG.

Finally, were these all her bridesmaids:
Princesses Irene, Eugenie and Katherine of Greece and Denmark
Grand Duchess Kira Kirillovna of Russia
Crown Princess Juliana of the Netherlands
Princess Elizabeth of York
Lady Iris Mountbatten
Lady Mary Cambridge.
That's quite a wedding party! Thanks for any info.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 PM

i have been interested in prince george and princess marina for a while. I know that during their time many royal mariiages were a conveniente one. however i always hope that george and mairna's could be a love match.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Commoner

Status-conscious princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Marina was born into a royal family and to a mother who took her royal status very seriously. I am referring to Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna. Marina was the last foreign-born princess, not counting Prince Philip (I should say foreign born royal, not princess but you get my drift), to marry into the British royal family. She allegedly commented that her sisters-in-law, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who became Queen Consort to George VI, and Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, were just "common Scotch girls." This may have given rise to an opinion that she was a royal snob.
Thank you for that clarification. I was just reading "The Queen Mother" by Lady Colin Campbell and learned some very disturbing revelations. Before I begin, I must say that the book as a whole comes off as more than a bit "gossipy", yet as I am an American and the author is an English aristocrat, I can only surmise that she knows more about her subject than I do. That said, the book did attribute the quote "common Scottish girls" to Princess Marina, yet it also highlighted several instances in which Princess Marina (at least in her early days of courtship and marriage) made several attempts at upstaging Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Therefore, it's quite possible that Princess Marina had made the remark as a way of way of reminding Queen Elizabeth of where she came from (albeit in a catty manner).

On the whole, if it were the attitude of Princess Marina to be "status conscious", she was certainly in good company. Only twenty years separated the conclusion of World War I and the start of World War II. During the first conflict, when royal cousins were literally killing one another, the novel idea of "princes must always marry princesses" had begun to ring hollow. Looking at the disasters that befell other royal houses (specifically Russia, with it's German-born Empress), King George V "modernized" his dynasty by allowing his children to marry men and women of non-royal (though none-the-less noble) birth.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

Lady Colin Campbell is quite an interesting character. She was born George Ziadie in Jamaica to a father of Greek descent and a mother of mixed European ancestry- not as a British aristocrat, and due to an unspecified condition was actually raised as a boy until her late teens, undergoing gender re-assignment surgery at 21. She was married to Lord Colin Campbell, younger son of the 11th Duke of Argyll, for less than a year but kept his name after the divorce. (He reportedly didn't know of her surgery before the marriage. ) You should take anything she says with a whole mine of salt...It has been said that "Georgie" doesn't have as much access as she infers she does.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Courtier

I have always thought of Lady Colin Campbell as a dodgy character from some of the magazine articles which have quoted her from many years ago. I remember she wrote a book about the late Princess Diana and then admitted she had never actually met Diana. So how could anyone write a definitive account about the Princess when they didn't know them personally. Relying on "sources" is always a dodgy deal if you ask me. I think Campbell hangs on to the title of Aristocrat like a lifeline.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

She was married to Lord Colin Ivar Campbell, the son of Ian Campbell, 11th Duke of Argyll in 1974; they were divorced in 1975.

The title is a courtesy title from her marriage. I don't think she is knowledgeable to any degree and writes gossip and hearsay.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Gentry

Thank you all for that. I think anyone who believes anything that comes out of "Lady" Colin Campbell's mouth is sadly mistaken. "Georgie" is just a sad human who has little to no access into the lives of anyone royal.

In fact, the TV morning talk shows here in the States used to have her on whenever she wrote a book but then they came to their senses and realized she really had no knowledge of what she was writing about so they no longer invite on the shows.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Gentry

My apologies if I am asking a question that's been asked before but could those much more knowledgeable than I recommend some books on Prince George, Duke of Kent and his wife Princess Marina
Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Marina was the president of the Wimbledon All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club for 26 years.

Tags
duchess of kent, duke, kent, princess marina