The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Don't ask me where I heard it or read it but I think I've heard/read several time where he calls her "cabbage".

I think its kind of cute.
I think they used that endearment in the film 'The Queen' - didn't they? It sounds familiar. When they were in the bedroom. I have the DVD and one of these days I'll watch it again - such a great performance by Helen Mirren - one really does think its the Queen. Anyway, I'll watch for that.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness

Have anyone met them in some way ? And where can I get like a booklet on Buckingham palace or any booklet on the royal family I want to learn as much I can on Buckingham palace before visiting and touring it.

What are the other nicknames
Prince William-"wombat"/"wills"
Prince Henry - "Harry"
Princess Diana -"di"
Queen Elizabeth -"lillibet"
Princess catherine - "Kate"

I am just curious to know which relative is the Quern and the rest of the royal family closest to?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth = cabbage (for Prince Philip anyway)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Random (and Quirky) Facts About the Windsors

I'm not sure if such a thread exists, or even if it's OK to start one with such a title, but I came across an article that I found interesting and wanted to share. I didn't know some of these things (and some I truly didn't need/want to know), but the world would be pretty boring if everyone were like everyone else.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Express Yourself :: Secrets of the Royals (and their regal oddities)

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Great thread and a nice article. Learnt quite a few new things about the royal family.

From the article:
Quote:
When the Queen was born her parents wanted to name her Anne but King George V forbade it.
Does anyone know whether this is true, and if yes, why did George V veto the name?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

I've always thought it was Princess Margaret who was supposed to be named Anne.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I've always thought it was Princess Margaret who was supposed to be named Anne.
My dear Archduchess Zelia,

You are correct. For some reason which was not clear, George V did not like the name "Anne" or "Ann." He and Mary wanted the baby to be named Margaret after "Margaret of Scotland" a royal ancestress and in the end he won.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Gentry

I'm not sure how many of these I believe... In one sentence it talks about Charles' nightshirts and then says he always sleeps on the nude. Hmmmmm
Old 03-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenafran View Post
I'm not sure how many of these I believe... In one sentence it talks about Charles' nightshirts and then says he always sleeps on the nude. Hmmmmm
Yeah, that was the one I didn't quite believe, or want to know.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S

Yeah, that was the one I didn't quite believe, or want to know.
Yeah, definitely some "TMI" there...lol
Old 03-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Some great anecdotes about the RF - I love that Queen Victoria smoked marijuana for cramps; that lady knew a thing or two about medicinal pot and was certainly ahead of her time.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Some great anecdotes about the RF - I love that Queen Victoria smoked marijuana for cramps; that lady knew a thing or two about medicinal pot and was certainly ahead of her time.
That was definitely an interesting one. But if it helped with the pain, and didn't harm anything else, then all was well. Still the thought of Queen Victoria a little high is an amusing image .

Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

It's my opinion that it says a lot about people which paper they prefer to read.

I don't know if this really is general knowledge, but if it isn't and you were to offer a qualified guess, which paper do you believe is the preferred of.

QEII?

Prince Phillip?

PoW Charles?

Lady Camilla?

Harry?

William?

Catherine?

And why?

ADDED: This clip provides a clear defintion of who reads the various British papers: (From 1:04).
Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

Does Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex want to do any more productions of documentaries or dramas?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Serene Highness

On June 27, 1727 George II opened the first Parliament of his reign. In its very first sitting, Parliament voted a rise in the King's civil list financial settlement. George was granted 800,000 pounds a year. A further 100,000 pounds entitlement was granted for Queen Caroline.

Tags
article, british royal family, buckingham palace; balcony, education, elizabeth ii, fans, journalist, pageantry, press, queen elizabeth ii, royal banner, security, terrorism, undertakers, university