The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post

It matters because they had a lot riding on this both domestically and internationally. They both rose to the occasion and whether we like, agree, dislike, love, hate, whatever, it was a success....at least to me..
Yeah, to me either. I enjoyed every detail of this Visit. Carla was very beautiful and I believe everyone felt enchantée by her presence and style.
I loved to see the Queen's tiara, what a beautiful piece of art.

Thank you all for the great pictures!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Serene Highness

It's wrong i know but i'm addicted to this piece of s...

Stunning Carla saves the best till last while Sarko's (other) babe makes a faux pas with too much va va voom | the Daily Mail

And one of the most stupid article EVER

High Street Carla or charity shop Camilla? | the Daily Mail

Old 03-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post

Wow..that`s an amazing dress
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Nobility

I think she looked very appropriate for this visit. I think she just can't win if she wore heels and really colorful clothes she would have been accused of trying to get attention. When she dresses simply she is dull and boring. I loved the purple coat and dress and the last evening gown I think she looked lovely.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Judging from the news reports and pics I have seen of the Guildhall banquet the Duke of Gloucester appears to have gone on his own. He attended the Windsor banquet on his own also so I suppose the Duchess must have fallen ill or something as she was due to have attended these events with him.
It is likely so, i got the same thought as well. She could have been sick, and unable to attend the events. Also missing out is Princess Alexandra of Kent as well.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Majesty

Oh Sarko!!He has the style of a,oh,can't use an animal here,it would be insulting to them.

Glittering Royal Events Message Board: I have put Sarkozy in my black list

Courtesy dear Octavius,GREMB.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Please can someone tell me if there a particular reason why the President received the Order of Bath rather than a different order ? Also, was he wearing the same sash at the Guildhall or was this the Legion d'Honneur?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottestreasures View Post
Thanks for the photo!
The champagne colour and emeralds match well. I commend Princess Michael for her glamorous outfit.

Quote:
Madame Sarkozy’s gala dress became her well. Slightly paraphrasing Zonk, it was a good, but not outstanding choice. As for Madame Sarkozy’s wardrobe in general, I have to say that she opted for simple clean lines and somewhat cold tones (grey, navy, claret, or purple). I like her style because I follow the above approach when it comes to my own wardrobe.
It is great that Daily Mail provided a close-up of Rashida Dati’s dress. She is so effortlessly chic.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Please can someone tell me if there a particular reason why the President received the Order of Bath rather than a different order ? Also, was he wearing the same sash at the Guildhall or was this the Legion d'Honneur?
The Queen typically gives the Order of Bath to visiting heads of states, including other sovereigns (I believe the King of Jordan received it on his 2001 state visit). She rarely hands out the Order of the Garter to another head of state, usually only other monarchs and only after they have been on the throne for many, many years. King Hussein of Jordan is the only non-European monarch I am aware of who has ever received the Garter.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Nobility

Ou est Gordon? Even the QUEEN spots how the PM got lost on the way to the banquet | the Daily Mail
I love this article!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamari View Post
The Queen typically gives the Order of Bath to visiting heads of states, including other sovereigns (I believe the King of Jordan received it on his 2001 state visit). She rarely hands out the Order of the Garter to another head of state, usually only other monarchs and only after they have been on the throne for many, many years. King Hussein of Jordan is the only non-European monarch I am aware of who has ever received the Garter.
Thank you for the information. Judging by the picture of the President leaving the banquet last night it looks as if he was intending to wear the Order all the way back to France.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Lots of photos:
Daylife
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
And one of the most stupid article EVER

High Street Carla or charity shop Camilla? | the Daily Mail
I have to say, it's rather unfair to compare Camilla and Carla. After all, Camilla's never been a model and she probably has a good 20 years on the other lady. (And the "less expensive" version of Camilla's look was simply hideous -- Camilla in her suit with the big feathery hat was very pleasant.)
Old 03-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

It seems the Queen has a wonderful sense of humor. She said to Sarko in their way to the banquet that things are not changed very often here.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Aristocracy

Carla not only resembles Cecile, Sarko´s ex-wife, but, dreadfully, her own mother. Sarko must think that when that happens, he will not be around anymore for good. The poor lady was not sufficiently advised for her clothes.
Too much color.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I wondered if she had been given any training on how to sit. I saw her leaning her head on her arm during her husband's speech as if she were bored, and later during the Guildhall Dinner she had both of her arms wrapped across her tummy (pregnant? cold? insecure?). She had some odd poses during public functions IMO.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Gentry

Photo from Reuters Pictures - Daylife

This picture just makes me laugh so hard! They look like little munchkin people!

Those who know about photography - can you explain how this happened?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
jcbcode99 - Are you sure the ruby necklace was from QM? I thought it was the one the Queen had bought for herself from auction in the 1960s.
Muriel, I'm catching up and haven't read all posts since this one, so if I repeat what has been my apologies--
the ruby neckace which HM is wearing was made for Queen Victoria--but was originally set with opals. Queen Alexandra did not like opals, believing them to be unlucky, so she had the necklace reset with the delicious rubies we now see. The Queen Mother ended up with the piece, and it passed to her daughter at her death.
The necklace you are thinking of is somewhat similar in design, but has three drops. It is a nice necklace, but in my opinion there is no comparison to Queen Victoria's piece. If you click on the link below there is a photo of QEQM and also one of QEII, both wearing their respective pieces. You'll see the difference. Which one do you like?? Also, there is a third ruby necklace directly below which was a gift to the Queen set in yellow gold. I do not like this piece at all.
PS--The Queen Mum is wearing the matching earrings which also had opals originally. The Queen is wearing Queen Mary's ruby earrings.

Tiara QEIIruby

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Is it going to be for the rest of our days that anytime a princess/first lady turns up somewhere looking pretty that she will be hailed the ‘next Princess Diana’ by the media. They really need to let it go.
I couldn't agree more.

Incidentally, are there any photos other than Mrs. Sarkozy from the Guildhall event?? I agree, she looks glamourous but a little too red carpet for my taste. I'd like to see some Royals, please.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordonez View Post
Photo from Reuters Pictures - Daylife

This picture just makes me laugh so hard! They look like little munchkin people!

Those who know about photography - can you explain how this happened?
It's an illusion created by the bearskins and the people wearing them being farther back. If you bring Prince Philip up a little higher, he's actually twell.aller than the army officer on the right, and probably would be equal in height with the one on the left if he wasn't hunched over a little. (The Yeoman in the back seems quite tall, though)

Tags
elizabeth ii, france, president sarkozy, queen elizabeth ii, state visit