Windsor Family Resemblances 1, Ending 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks much like his grandfather Prince Philip in this picture. I'm glad, he had a good time as it looks. :) And I like his outfit.

Oh! Dierna, you must be very young, and I am a grandmother! In these photos Harry looks more like a pauper than a prince.

:previous:

Harry does resemble Philip more with every year. He used to be more a Spencer, what with that red hair of his, but now he's a Windsor through and through.

You know I have always thought that both William and Harry resemble Philip and his Greek/Danish Mountbatten genes than anything. The red hair was a red herring to me but many people don't look past the hair to see the facial features and they are, to me anyway, clearly from their father's side not their mother.

Of all the royal men the one who looks least like Philip, to me, is Andrew with Charles, Edward, William, Harry and Peter all having strong similarities to Philip.

I do think that a lot of people forget just how handsome Philip was as a young man so when the young princes appeared to be handsome they immediately discounted those genes as having come from Charles and gave the credit to Diana rather than consider the fact that Charles was the one who had the handsome genes in his DNA from his father.

I see a lot of Diana in William's facial expressions, even in print. With Harry, her expressions come through more in video. But yes, there's a LOT of Mountbatten in them both. I've noticed that Prince Andrew moves like Prince Philip, especially when walking. They both have that energetic, slightly-leaning forward stride--like they can't wait to get where they're going.:)

You know I have always thought that both William and Harry resemble Philip and his Greek/Danish Mountbatten genes than anything. The red hair was a red herring to me but many people don't look past the hair to see the facial features and they are, to me anyway, clearly from their father's side not their mother.

---edited---- The red hair was a red herring to me but many people don't look past the hair to see the facial features and they are, to me anyway, clearly from their father's side not their mother.
I expect we all see something different. :whistling:

I see a lot of Diana in William's facial expressions, even in print. With Harry, her expressions come through more in video. But yes, there's a LOT of Mountbatten in them both. I've noticed that Prince Andrew moves like Prince Philip, especially when walking. They both have that energetic, slightly-leaning forward stride--like they can't wait to get where they're going.:)

Absolutely--I've thought the same thing about Andrew. He definitely doesn't look like Prince Philip (I guess he looks more like the Queen Mother's family with the dark hair and eyebrows and rounded face) but he definitely has the same energetic stride and rather authoritative mannerisms.

I can also see a resemblance between Harry and Philip.

Oh yes, definitely. It's getting more obviously as Harry ages, too. Harry looks somewhat like Prince Edward, too, especially when he's smiling broadly.:flowers:

I can also see a resemblance between Harry and Philip.

i can't really see a resemblance between harry and prince edward, to me harry has a lot of prince phillip and the mountbatten's , and edward is a total replica of the queen, he is exactly like the queen

Harry totally has Charles eyes. Charles has small light blue eyes that are close together. And that's exactly how Harry's eyes are!

Harry totally has Charles eyes. Charles has small light blue eyes that are close together. And that's exactly how Harry's eyes are!

And those eyes come from Queen Mary. I tried to find a close up photo of Queen Mary to link to, but when I Google her, all I get is pages of photos of the ship!

Good question! But sadly I know nothing about a relationship between Prince Charles and the Gloucesters. I only know, Prince Michael of Kent had a very close relation to Prince William and Richard since they were children... BTW I think, both Gloucesters resembled much her mother, Princess Alice.
I definitely remember reading in a few places how charles was enamoured by William of G's carefree ways and popularity with woman, and even looked up to him as a model, getting advice from him not to marry the first woman you fall in love with, but rather sow your wild oats etc.

And those eyes come from Queen Mary. I tried to find a close up photo of Queen Mary to link to, but when I Google her, all I get is pages of photos of the ship!

Sorry, but I disagree. :flowers: The ones which resembled Queen Mary were her sons David, Henry and Bertie. And now we have HM who becomes more and more like her in her facial structures. Charles to me looks like a odd version of Lord Mountbatten (who was so handsome :wub:) with some structures of the Bowes Lyons, he also has some greek features IMO. Prince Andrew has got a lot from Lord Mountbatten too and sometimes I see resemblences between Princess Anne and her grandmother Princess Alice, but mainly Anne when she was young looked a bit like Princess Mary, the Queens aunt.

Here's a picture of Queen Mary:

http://lisawallerrogers.files.wordp...rppc-great-britain-england-united-kingdom.jpg

Btw Queen Mary watched Charles when he was new born and then looked through all the photo albums of the family to find out which one of his ancestors this boy resembled. Her result was, that in her opinion, little Charles looked like Prince Albert, Queen Victorias husband. :) I think, she was wrong. ;)

You don't think the "bug eye" look came from King George III? I looked on Getty Images and came across King George III side profile and he had that look which Queen Victoria inherited and her daughter The Duchess of Teck also inherited.

None of Queen Victoria's daughters was a Duchess of Teck. Queen Marys mother Mary Adelaide of Teck/Cambridge was a cousin of Queen Victoria. Here are picture of Mary Adelaide who was nicknamed "fat Mary":

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2323/2074539134_f705440cfe.jpg?v=0
http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-families/welfen/hannover3/1833 Mary Adelaide.jpg

I think she indeed had resemblences to Victoria, but I never found that Queen Mary resembled her mother very much. She had more from her father Francis Duke of Teck, who was very handsome IMO:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

And here a pic of the Duke and Duchess of Teck together:

And one of young Queen Mary:

:flowers:

It's quite a different look about the eyes that I see passing from Queen Mary to Charles and Harry. I think they all had/have quite close-set, relatively small and deeply set blue eyes with a sort of mid-distance stare and slight frown at times. The bug-eyed look is quite a different thing.

The Duchess of Teck was not Queen Victoria's daughter, but her first cousin, once removed. Mary's mother, Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck, was Queen Victoria's first cousin. Mary Adelaide and Victoria shared a common grandfather: George III.

ETA Our latest posts crossed, Dierna23. Thanks for posting those pics. :flowers: I think perhaps Queen Mary inherited her looks from her father's side.

You're most welcome, Roslyn. :flowers: With Harry I agree with you. I see very much Prince Philip in him, but there's still something else around his eyes, I see absolutely nothing from the Spencers in Harry beside the hair colour, but Queen Mary also had red hair. :flowers:

I found a few days ago a rare picture/painting of Queen Marys maternal grandmother Claudine Rhédey de Kis-Rhéde and I thought Queen Mary resembled her a bit:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Rhédey_Klaudia_Hohenstein_1812_1841.jpg

I've always thought that Harry resembled Charles far more than William does. Both have the close set eyes, and both have QEII's thin lipped mouth.

Everyone's a mixture of their mother's and their father's families. I will say that the last picture I saw of Prince Edward's daughter Louise reminded me a lot of pictures I saw of the Queen as a small child and of Princess Anne and, further back, of Princess Mary and Queen Mary. They all have the curly blonde hair and similar features. Edward looks quite a bit like his mother, which is where it comes from. I'm sure Louise also looks like her mother, but she seems to have a strong resemblance to her dad's family.

I agree with everything you wrote about Lady Louise, she really has the Windsor-Look. There is a type of girl/woman in this family which has similar features, to those you listed I would pick Zara Philips and Lady Gabriella Windsor as well. It is often the case, that people resemble their grandparents much more than their parents. :flowers:

I think that James looks more like Sophie's side of the family.:flowers:

It's quite a different look about the eyes that I see passing from Queen Mary to Charles and Harry. I think they all had/have quite close-set, relatively small and deeply set blue eyes with a sort of mid-distance stare and slight frown at times. The bug-eyed look is quite a different thing.
Totally agree. And I see a lot of resemblance of Queen Elizabeth II to Queen Mary especially in the eyes.

To me William and Harry have nothing from Queen Mary! The close together eyes came from the Bowes-Lyons I suppose as well from the Battenbergs.

WOW! It is amazing how similar their face is

Thank you very much for the article, Emeralds and Opals!:flowers:

Chidren are a reflection of their parents and relatives.
This statement is time-proved.:)

I've always thought the Princess's of York had an uncanny resemblance to the Queen Mother and Queen Victoria but it was interesting to see Edwards resemblance to his grandfather and so on. Though they take the mickey with some of them

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought the Princess's of York had an uncanny resemblance to the Queen Mother and Queen Victoria but it was interesting to see Edwards resemblance to his grandfather and so on. Though they take the mickey with some of them

I do agree that the Princesses of York do have similarities to their female ancestors but so do the Princes of Wales look like their male ancestors (interesting to see how much Harry is shown to resemble Charles' ancestors isn't it?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I Was surprised at how much Prince William looked like the Prince Consort!

I can't get over what a beautiful child Lady Louise has grown into.

The only one of those that was a "wow!" for me was Prince William and King Edward I. It's amazing to see how far back some of those familial traits go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom