The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Events attended by George VI / Prince Albert

Good evening,

Does anyone know of a resource that has details of events attended by George VI?

My reason for asking is that I recently bought a commemorative medal, dated 1st September 1928, when he was still Prince Albert. The inscription (in Flemish) translates, roughly, as:

“ceremony (commemoration?) of the committee welcoming the British war injured/invalids”

Naturally, I am curious as to what the event was.

Any help gratefully received!

Thank you.

Andrew

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Majesty

If you can find the Court Circular for that date you would probably find out. You local library may have The Times archived (my university library had them all on micro-fiche back in the 1990s but I haven't needed to go back that far since then so I don't know if they still have it. If not try writing to The Times or the Palace and someone will be able to help you.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:01 AM

lluvbertie,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't considered the local library! I will pay them a visit next week, although I suspect that they got rid of the michrofich (sp?) machine and reels years ago.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-15-2014, 02:28 AM
Majesty

Having removed that actual method would possibly mean that they have a digital copy available online somewhere...
Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Albert, the Duke of York took part in the celebrations for the centenary of Norwich Museum in October 1925.

King George VI and his wife entertained President Lebrun of France and his wife at the Royal Opera House in March 1939.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Albert, the Duke of York conducted an inspection of the training ship Mercury at Hamble just before Christmas in 1929.

Dressed in naval uniform, King George VI listened to the matron of Norwich Hospital give her account of the bombing of the hospital in October 1942.