Dutch Introductory Visit to the United Kingdom: July 10, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucien

Majesty
City
Amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
:royalstandard::dutchstandard:

Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will pay a two day visit to the United Kingdom on july 19th and 20th in the frame of the introductory visits by TM .

The youngest Reigning Monarch visits the longest Reigning Monarch.

certainly! i'm so very excited about this. i believe it's the first photo opportunity we have of TM meeting QE and prince philippe, although i'm sure they met privately before during prince charles celebrations or the royal wedding in 2011?

i am hoping to see all the BRF there!

This is exciting news. I hope we see lovely images of the Willem-Alexander and Elizabeth. The oldest and youngest Monarch, if I am not correct?

QEII is the oldest monarch in the world indeed, WA is the youngest monarch in Europe but the kings of Swaziland and Bhutan are younger.

According to royalty-online the visit didn't get the formal 'OK' from Buckingham palace yet. If true, it means that whoever released this info. did so prematurely. I can't find anything on the official website of the Dutch RF.

Last edited:
^^^^
Times change, this is a sensible way of introduction. This isn't a state visit, which I imagine will come in a few years time.

Why does this thread say 19th June to 20th July?

Last edited:
:royalstandard::dutchstandard:

The youngest Reigning Monarch visits the longest Reigning Monarch.

I am afraid both are incorrect. (Unless you are confining to Europe)
Its rather "The newest reigning monarch meets the oldest reigning monarch"..

If you don't want to initiate a discussion then why comment in the first place? Discussion is the point of a forum after all.

I don't see why they would have to wait for 2-3 years for a State Visit they could have had one this year but it seems the Dutch way is just a casual Hello, quick lunch and off to the next country. Very sound way of keeping costs down and meeting and greeting the people they need to.

Seeing as this is not a state visit, we still have the first state visit to come. I somewhat, fearfully, imagine that may be in the reign of King Charles.

I was wondering if they would visit the UK and I'm looking forward to it.

I was wondering if they would visit the UK and I'm looking forward to it.

So am I! Maxima and Wilhelm have taken to their new roles like ducks to water!
My biggest wonder is what language they will chat in? :)

Hurrah! This is wonderful news and exciting to imagine the new Dutch King and Queen visiting us!

So am I! Maxima and Wilhelm have taken to their new roles like ducks to water!
My biggest wonder is what language they will chat in? :)

Oh,but it's Willem-Alexander instead of Wilhelm btw,we're Dutch you know...:)

But for the rest I agree with you Lumutqueen

And the language will be proper English,both WA and Máxima are polyglotts and afluent in at least 4 languages each and both master english,so yes.. ..besides Máxima's german skills that is... And from what I understand Queen Elizabeth II speaks english too...

Saw the comment too on the lesser tune with these sort of visits,but really,they only make sense.A full blown State visit is not nessecary in light of improving whatever relations we have with the countries to be visited including the UK.The full pump and splendour is better reserved for real full blown and long awaited State Visits...In that case,a introductory visit by my King and Queen are just the most sensible thing to do....The families know eachother well,visit privately to and fro and really...Plus...maybe by that time they can also meet with the newest addition to the British RF...The Child of William and Catherine!...Exciting times!...But Queen Elizabeth II can do with a break from all the pump and fanfare at her age too....Regardless the frame of the visit,she will love to have Willem-Alexander and Máxima for tea or lunch no doubt.But the overzealous pompous will have to sit and wait for another opportunity.

Plus,plus an introductory visit is THE greeting and respect call to the Monarch of the UK,which opens the way for a true State Visit by a British Monarch to The Netherlands as that is 57 years ago.Meanwhile both Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix have officially visited the UK several times during their Reigns...just sayin...:whistling::flowers:

Last edited:
How come the Dutch government have not extended an invitation to QEII to make a state visit to The Netherlands? Obviously the UK invited Juliana and Beatrix to make state visits but the Dutch never returned the invite.

How come the Dutch government have not extended an invitation to QEII to make a state visit to The Netherlands? Obviously the UK invited Juliana and Beatrix to make state visits but the Dutch never returned the invite.

I imagine the introductory visit has to occur first, and then a potential invitation for a UK visit to The Netherlands. I'm surprised that QEII never visited Holland.

This visit has apparently not been accepted by Buckingham Palace yet therefor unconfirmed.

Oh but they have,they darn well have,..it's up to the Brits to deliver...

Oh but they have,they darn well have,..it's up to the Brits to deliver...

I'm sorry what do you mean? If The Netherlands have extended an invitation for a state visit, why would QEII turn it down?

Why do the 'Brits have to deliver'?

I'm sorry what do you mean? If The Netherlands have extended an invitation for a state visit, why would QEII turn it down?

Why do the 'Brits have to deliver'?

QE didn't turn it down,she just didn't find the time to honour the invite....

The Brits have to deliver meaning it is Their turn to pay a State Visit,
after receiving three from us,but I happily give an extra explanation
when needed.So,they have to come to us as that is the most probable in line of expectations.:flowers:

Last edited:
QEII must get a lot of invitations, also for state visits, that she has to turn down. The usual policy is that a state visit is awnsered by an invitation to that country. And I would say I also find it logical that the Dutch government would invite QEII again after Beatrix' visit. If the British foreign department feels that such a visit is a waste of their resources & that other countries are better candidates, they are quite right in not sending QEII to the Netherlands IMO. Likewise, I suspect that the Dutch monarch also won't accept every invitation to pay a state visit either. Perhaps a compromise was reached in the William and Mary year in 1988, when QEII and the Duke paid an official visit to the Netherlands.

Is QEII actually still expected to pay state visits at this age? Perhaps a Benelux visit of the prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall (like the one to Scandinavia) is more likely.

Last edited:
I thought State visits (and any other official visits) were not the decision of the monarch, but of the Government.

Personal invitations - come to my Diamond Jubilee party; my wedding etc. etc.

Yes of course, it is the British government who decides who the monarch makes state/official visits to and who visits her. Obviously if a return invite was received from The Netherlands the FO did not for whatever reason make it a priority.
It was obvious from how Beatrix greeted QEII at the Diamond Jubilee luncheon, a private event although done in consultation with the Foriegn Office, that the 2 monarchs knew each other and seem to have a pretty good relationship.

Is there anything on a British official site to indicate this visit from WA has been accepted or is this visit to be looked upon as merely a private visit?

Queen Elizabeth did have a state visit to Holland on 25-27th March 1958

She visited Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Delft and Den Haag (The Hague)

Yes of course, it is the British government who decides who the monarch makes state/official visits to and who visits her. Obviously if a return invite was received from The Netherlands the FO did not for whatever reason make it a priority.
It was obvious from how Beatrix greeted QEII at the Diamond Jubilee luncheon, a private event although done in consultation with the Foriegn Office, that the 2 monarchs knew each other and seem to have a pretty good relationship.

Is there anything on a British official site to indicate this visit from WA has been accepted or is this visit to be looked upon as merely a private visit?

Nothing on the official Royal site for either June or July. I looked at both months cos this thread apparently covers a visit from 19 June - 20 July. ;)

QE didn't turn it down,she just didn't find the time to honour the invite....

The Brits have to deliver meaning it is Their turn to pay a State Visit,
after receiving three from us,but I happily give an extra explanation
when needed.So,they have to come to us as that is the most probable in line of expectations.:flowers:

Queen Elizabeth II very much honoured/delivered/returned Queen Beatrix's invitation for State Visit.
She made a State Visit to Netherlands on 4-5 July 1988, and again in 2007.
Three State Visits are good enough, I guess.

Queen Elizabeth II very much honoured/delivered/returned Queen Beatrix's invitation for State Visit.
She made a State Visit to Netherlands on 4-5 July 1988, and again in 2007.
Three State Visits are good enough, I guess.

The only state visit she made was in 1958. The visit in 1988 was not a state visit, but a visit due to the William & Mary year, to celebrate that it was 300 years after the 'glorious revolution'. In 2007 it was a visit to celebrate an anniversary of the English church which lasted a few hours, not a state visit either.

sorry for the late reply, but in this case I fear that wikipedia is incorrect.
From the official website of the British monarchy:

Inward State visits since 1952:

• 11-15 April 1972, Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands
  • 16-19 November 1982, Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus of the Netherlands
Outward State visits since 1952:

• 25-27 March 1958, The Netherlands, visiting Queen Juliana I
  • 5 February 2007, The Netherlands, visiting the Queen of the Netherlands (to mark the 400th Anniversary of the English Church in Amsterdam)
http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/RoyalVisits/Inwardstatevisitssince1952.aspx
http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/RoyalVisits/OutwardStatevisitssince1952.aspx

I do appreciate that the Queen may be busy, but 1958... that's 55 years ago!

I do look forward to pictures of the Dutch visit to the UK today!

You have to be invited to participate in a state visit, the Dutch must invite QE2.

You have to be invited to participate in a state visit, the Dutch must invite QE2.

Also, it is the government of the day that decides on which countries the monarch makes state visits - it is not at the whim of HM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom