The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
hehe...you have to love the British.
Ah! But thats what makes the British ... well British!

Unfortunately I don't think that David or Wallis factored that into their lives, as they were seen to be somewhat trendy movers and shakers. And the British people ... they just stand firm!

Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth

Times really have changed.
I don't think times changed so much till the day the duchess died. While nowadays Camilla received her HRH-style and Charles could stay first-in-line, Camilla still doesn't feel it is appropriate to call herself The Princess of Wales.
It's still the same way of thinking, IMHO, that led to Camilla's decision not to use the "Princess of Wales"-title and the unwillingness of the monarch to grant Wallis the HRH.

It may or may not be a perception of how the queen sees the situation but it IMHO has to do with the establishment views the role of the monarchy and the Royal family within the British society.

Wallis brought enormous upheaval to a Royal family that had only 19 years before changed the family name formally because of the public perception of Britishness and German ancestry. 19 years is not such a long time for a Royal family. I don't think we, as commoners of today, can imagine what it meant for the Hanovers to change their name. The Hanovers (Welf family) are the oldest noble family of Europe! They can trace back their male line to the very beginning of the Holy Roman empire of Germany - it's as if they could trace back their ancestry to a German version of king Arthur himself. That they acquired Britain through marriage with a Stuart-heiress didn't count much, I guess and that they lost their male-line possessions in Hanover through the same laws about female inheritance (queen Victoria and her uncle, the duke of Cumberland) didn't matter much, either. Albert's Saxon blood is as well of the oldest nobility traceable in Europe - these families along with the Habsburg formed and reigned the center of Europe for a millenium and more.

And now they had to change their name and thus their identity. To give up their European roots to prove they are British. They chose the name of Windsor. Does anyone think it's a coincidence that David got the title of the "duke of Windsor"? I cannot remember exactly how it came to this choice of title but IMHO the name alone has a significance. Maybe it was a signal for all to see that even if Edward was not longer king, he still was the senior male line personage of the Windsor-family. Not just a Royal Duke but as the eldest brother of the king he was "The duke of Windsor".

I can imagine this could have played a role when it comes to the choice of title. But Wallis? As wife of the duke of Windsor, she surely was his duchess. But she was not accepted as wife of the senior Windsor by the family. The Hanoverans as well as the Saxes had a long tradition of granting only minor titles and styles to the wifes they considered morganatic. Why should this have changed only because the Hanoverans/Saxes became the Windsors. So Wallis was "Her Grace" and that was that.

I don't think the queen ever intended to grant her a HRH when this would have been a signal that David and Wallis has still existed on an offcial level where Britian and the Royal House was concerned. I believe after his abdication Edward ceased to be considered a member of the "Royal" family, he only stayed a part of the family which by chance reigned Britain. Which is a great difference, IMHO. Okay, he still had a right to certain privileges as he was a descendant of the electress Sophia but these privileges did not include the woman for whom he had left his position as most senior member of the Royal family.

If I had been Wallis, I'd accepted that out of respect for the Hanoveran/Saxe's historic background. I'd have been glad to be able to share the life of my husband and the same name. IMHO Edward was spoilt and believed so much in his own superiority that he couldn't understand that privileges can be lost if you don't behave according to the rules of the society that award these privileges to you - and that he taught Wallis to think the same. When IMHO it was right that she shouldn't have been a HRH as this would have endangered the standing and perception of the Royal family.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I don't think times changed so much till the day the duchess died. While nowadays Camilla received her HRH-style and Charles could stay first-in-line, Camilla still doesn't feel it is appropriate to call herself The Princess of Wales.
It's still the same way of thinking, IMHO, that led to Camilla's decision not to use the "Princess of Wales"-title and the unwillingness of the monarch to grant Wallis the HRH.
I don't think that is the case, Jo. Camilla doesn't use the title "The Princess of Wales" of respect to the first wife of The Prince of Wales and mother of his children, not because she doesn't feel it is appropirate. Camilla certainly deserves and has that title.
In case of Wallis, she simply did not have that title, so she could not use it. If she did have it, I assume she would use it without feeling it is inappropirate.
Times have changed.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Marie
Are there any portraits of the Duchess of Windsor out there?
I've always thought she was a great beauty, but there just aren't enough pictures of her around.
The Duchess a great beauty? You must be thinking of some other duchess (I always thought she looked like an unattractive transvestite). But the woman had great style. (I once knew a man who knew her when she was married to her first husband, and this lovely gentleman had beautiful things to say about her, so I'm not totally anti-Wallis, I just don't like some of the things she did.)
Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I found this. http://www.nndb.com/people/921/00011...on-1-sized.jpg
Seems she was rather attractive when she was young, but she didn't improve with age.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Here's a formal portrait of the Duke and Duchess, without soft focus: Duke & Duchess of Windsor
Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Commoner

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
The Duchess a great beauty? You must be thinking of some other duchess (I always thought she looked like an unattractive transvestite). But the woman had great style. (I once knew a man who knew her when she was married to her first husband, and this lovely gentleman had beautiful things to say about her, so I'm not totally anti-Wallis, I just don't like some of the things she did.)
Well, ok. I can see how you might think that from some angles lol! But I've always thought there was something mysterious about her face. I dunno, I can't describe it. I guess the Duke would have known what I mean!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Aristocracy

I think I know what Queen Marie means. Wallis was never really a great beauty in the classical sense but her chic style and immaculate grooming did make her seem that way to me. Because of this, her photographs are pleasurable to look at and that's what I consider beautiful.

I can't remember who it was but it was said of Wallis' face "all her features are good, yet put together they do not make beauty".

I'm not sure what Iowabelle means by "not liking some of the things she did". As an American in the 1930's, she didn't have much idea of royal protocol, but I believe they got married at David's insistence, not because of any ambition of Wallis' to be Queen.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I found this. http://www.nndb.com/people/921/00011...on-1-sized.jpg

Seems she was rather attractive when she was young, but she didn't improve with age.
i thought she was very attractive, along with her impeccable grooming and sense of style, but you're right she didn't age well.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Aristocracy

I think her failure to "age well" was a combination of her habits of being a heavy smoker, drinker and sun worshipper - she was always the "tanned" one in the royal family in her day.

Margaret was fashionably dressed until about the mid 1960's but seemed to get stuck there. Her later clothes, hats etc. seemed quite dated and were not flattering, in my opinion.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Santa was good to me this year!

From my sister, who supports my Royal obsession I received the DVD of Edward & Mrs. Simpson! This of course, led me to watch Bertie & Elizabeth....does anyone know of any other movies that depict the Edward and Wallis affiar and the susbequent abdication?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Royal Highness

The Duchess Of Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareenah
I think I know what Queen Marie means. Wallis was never really a great beauty in the classical sense but her chic style and immaculate grooming did make her seem that way to me. Because of this, her photographs are pleasurable to look at and that's what I consider beautiful.

I can't remember who it was but it was said of Wallis' face "all her features are good, yet put together they do not make beauty".

I'm not sure what Iowabelle means by "not liking some of the things she did". As an American in the 1930's, she didn't have much idea of royal protocol, but I believe they got married at David's insistence, not because of any ambition of Wallis' to be Queen.
What a figure the lady maintained.The Duchess first said "never too rich or too thin." She was a classical brunette when others were blonde.The Duchess knew herself well and knew what became her and what did not. For instance I have never seen her wearing a hat with a brim.she was impeccably groomed always.I am not certain but I do believe they smoked in those days.
all this gave a silhouette that was trim forever.
The Duchess was a fashion icon I think when Mainbocher dressed her. I also loved her in Norell.She also wore a lot of Kenneth Jay Lane for
costume jewellery.the fashion world will certainly remember her.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Avareenah, I meant that I think it was inappropriate of her to cheat on her husband Mr. Simpson, to cheat on her husband the Duke of Windsor, to encourage Edward VIII to abandon his responsibilities and then to embark on a hedonistic, relatively pointless life with him. Wallis's deficiencies glare when she is compared to Elizabeth, Alice and Marina.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

There was one starring Jane Seymour as Mrs Simpson, and surprisingly she looked uncannily like Wallis. I think that was a made-for-TV movie.

The new one, "Wallis and Edward," isn't out yet but is available for preorder. There's a play by Royce Ryton called Crown Matrimonial, which deals with the Abdication; it was filmed about a million years ago, and Greer Garson plays Queen Mary, but I don't think it's available as a DVD. You might be able to pick up a copy of the book of the play, though.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
There was one starring Jane Seymour as Mrs Simpson, and surprisingly she looked uncannily like Wallis. I think that was a made-for-TV movie.
Called "The Woman he Loved"
Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, that's right! Thanks, Wymanda. From the Amazon website, it looks as though it's available in theory as a VHS tape but they don't have any available for sale new or used at the moment.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Commoner

Duke of Windsor's Coat of Arms

Hello everyone,
I have recently joined the Royal Forums in the hope of learning a little more about royal families around the world and meeting like-minded people. Introductions aside, I was wondering if anyone out there has a copy of (or a link to) a copy of Edward, Duke of Windsor's coat of arms after he abdicated the throne in 1936. I am in the middle of reading "A King's Story" - his memoirs - and it has a copy of it on the front, however it is rather poor. So that's about it, just wondering if anyone out there could post a reply with a copy of his coat of arms, or alternatively email a copy to me.
Anyones assistance would be greatly appreciated
Thanks for your time,
Patrick.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:23 PM

BBC NEWS | UK | Duke 'advised' to miss coronation

From the Beeb. The article says the Queen wanted to know who her successor was in 1953 - it says her husband would succeed her. Eh?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

It says she wanted to be sure the Cabinet knew she wanted her husband or one of her children to succeed her.

I wonder what they really mean. Did she honestly think they'd try to stick Margaret or even the Duke of Windsor on the throne after she died?

I'm thinking this may be trying to say that she wanted Philip rather than Margaret to be Regent if she died during Charles's childhood, but it makes so little sense that it's hard to know.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I have recently joined the Royal Forums in the hope of learning a little more about royal families around the world and meeting like-minded people. Introductions aside, I was wondering if anyone out there has a copy of (or a link to) a copy of Edward, Duke of Windsor's coat of arms after he abdicated the throne in 1936. I am in the middle of reading "A King's Story" - his memoirs - and it has a copy of it on the front, however it is rather poor. So that's about it, just wondering if anyone out there could post a reply with a copy of his coat of arms, or alternatively email a copy to me.
Here's the description from Wikipedia.

As the royal arms go hand-in-hand with the crown, the undifferenced arms passed to George VI and the Duke of Windsor was left in the unusual position of an eldest son needing to difference his arms, which was done by means of a label argent of three points, bearing on the middle point a royal crown or.

So it looks as though it's the usual design for a younger brother or son of the monarch, and the middle of the three points has a gold crown.

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson