The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Both the Mordaunt and Tranby Croft affairs involved court cases and Albert Edward/Edward VII testified in both cases - a royal prince taking the stand in a court case was in and of itself a scandal. While he himself was not on trial you can say that in both cases "his side" prevailed and yet these scandals took their toll on his reputation - these and other mishaps resulted in him being booed when he made public appearances and William Gladstone commented that "the Prince of Wales is not respected," although that comment actually was made prior to the Tranby Croft affair. My point in bringing them up was not because they involved illegitimate children rather that these were society scandals and the notion that members of society banded together to conceal their shenanigans no longer applied.

Ahe was already growing apart.
As far as I know, none of Ed VII's mistresses ever claimed a child by him. He was involved in some scandals, and of course "Society" could only cover up so far. If a case went to court, if the law of hte land was broken,they could not conceal it..
but while he may have fathered a child or 2, no woman seems to have said she was pregnant by him. Fathering bastards which was commonplace in the 18th C for royals had become by the 19th C much less acceptable.. and it seems to be the one thing that Ed VII was really discreet about.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

The dramatic untold twist of the abdication crisis and how Edward VIII tried to flee the country in his private plane - and sent the Government into a tailspin* | Daily Mail Online

Old 10-09-2016, 04:36 AM
Aristocracy

So, this child Freda Dudley Ward had, what is known of her?! It was a girl? Or is this total heresay?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Breakfast like a king as Fortnum & Mason publishes recipe for Edward VIII's kippers
Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Freda Dudley Ward only had two children, both girls, Angela and Penelope, who were born (presumably by her husband) years before she met Edward. Edward became very excited in 1922 when, at the height of his affair with Freda, it seemed as if she was pregnant, but it was a false alarm.

It was due to her daughter Angela speeding in her car in 1936 that Freda got in touch with Edward for the last time. Angela was to go to court over the offence. Freda wondered whether Edward could fix it for them and, not having heard from him for some time, (they remained great friends for years after the sexual component of their relationship ended) she rang him up.

The telephone operator at the Palace was used to her and in great distress told her that she had orders not to put her through. So, after nearly twenty years of him relying on her, phoning, calling on her, whining and complaining to her about his life etc., that was that!

Many years afterwards, when Angela was married, her husband had to write to the Duke of Windsor in a professional capacity and she added an affectionate postscript. (Freda's two daughters had always absolutely adored him.) He didn't reply to her but the note was found among his papers after his death.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

After he had set foot in England for his brother George VI's funeral, Edward was told that the allowance of about 10,000 pounds settled on him at the time of the abdication was to be discontinued. It was considered a personal favor of King George VI.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

It caused quite an ordeal I heard.

LaRae
Old 10-13-2016, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

It certainly caused Edward, who was extremely fond of money, to go into meltdown!
Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I seem to recall reading that Edward had plenty of money otherwise, that the 'allowance' was not his only source of income.

LaRae
Old 10-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, the allowance was just a little sweetener to keep Edward happy, as at the time of the abdication he complained perpetually of strained finances. It was not true, as the new King's lawyers found out later. He had become Duke of Cornwall in May 1910, after his father George V ascended the throne, and therefore had enjoyed the income from the Duchy (plus all the accumulative interest before he became of age) for at least twenty years by 1936.

As we know, Edward also selfishly insisted on his brother Bertie, the new King, buying the monarch's private residences of Balmoral and Sandringham from him after his abdication. He also went on to receive an income while governing the Bahamas during the war.

Edward had plenty of money, and was indulged in France, where he and the Duchess inhabited a magnificent Paris mansion for decades at a peppercorn lease. However, like so many individuals who enjoy great wealth, he resented being deprived of anything.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember reading about Bertie having to buy the residences back. I'm sorry but when you abdicate the position ...you lose the things that go with it.

LaRae
Old 10-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree that David should have done the right thing and with abdication, handed over the private residences that pass from monarch to monarch in the family to Bertie. It was David's choice not to remain as the monarch but yet he sure felt that the private residences passed to him as he became monarch were his eh?

I'm just happy that Bertie had the monies and the smarts to buy these residences back to remain within the royal family. Should David had held onto them, who knows who would own them and be living in them now. Any guesses? I don't remember reading anything about who David and Wallis' heirs were.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think they had any heirs except their families since neither had children. Although I'd guess that they had private bequests for some things.

LaRae
Old 10-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

The Pasteur Institute was the main beneficiary of the Duchess's estate

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/05/02/wo...ype=collection

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did the Duchess have any Warfield relatives residing in the United States of America?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember reading, I can't remember where, perhaps Madame Suzanne Blum's memoirs of the Windsors, that in the Duchess's widowhood and old age Earl Mountbatten would apparently visit her quite a lot. (This was of course before she got dementia.)

At first she welcomed chatting about life in the old days but it seems that gradually talk would turn to what would happen to the Duke's of Windsor's possessions of historical interest which he had taken from Windsor etc (such as robes, personal awards and Orders etc) and the Duchess agreed that they should be returned.

Later conversations turned to her will, and to money bequests, and to her jewellery, much of it given to her by Edward at the time when he was Prince of Wales and King in the 1930's. (Perhaps some pieces had been made from older jewellery in the Royal vaults? Also I believe Queen Mary left her son some jewellery from her own collection.)

It seemed Mountbatten talked with a great deal of pleasure about his great-nephew. Perhaps the inference was that the next King would love items of such provenance.

Mountbatten must have pressed too hard however, as eventually Wallis wrote to him stating that the conversations they'd been having about her demise and who she was going to leave things to depressed her and she would rather not speak of it with him any more. So that was the end of Mountbatten's attempt to get those jewels back in Royal hands, though I believe some were returned anyway.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:24 AM
Majesty

Some of the jewels were supposed to have gone to Princess Michael of Kent.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I believe Marina of Kent and later Alexandra and Prince Michael of Kent did keep regular contact with the Duke and Duchess, and during the 1960's they visited them. When Prince Michael married Marie-Christine he took her to see Wallis while they were on their honeymoon. The Duchess was charmed by her and gave wedding gifts including an absolutely fabulous ruby brooch and cabochon diamond earrings from her collection. I believe these items were known 1930s pieces and Marie-Christine had to be a bit careful about wearing them at family get-togethers in the presence of the Queen Mother. She also left pieces of jewellery to other members of the Kent family including Alexandra as a Thankyou for their kindness to her.

Madame Blum, it was alleged, isolated the Duchess from many old friends, including her previously ever-present pugs. Much later on, items from the mansion and jewellery collection were sold, it was said without permission.

An independent assessment had valued Sandringham and Balmoral at £25,000. The new King couldn't pay outright and negotiations stretched until 1939 and the outbreak of war. The rather convoluted yearlyl 'party-plan' to pay for Balmoral and Sandringham (which had begun in wartime with tax free War Bonds plus a top up by King George) was continued by the present Queen on a reduced scale, via a yearly allowance to the elderly widowed Duchess, until in 1980 the Queen assumed responsibility for all the by then senile and bed-ridden Duchess's household and medical expenses. These were considerable by that time as she required 24/7 nursing.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Nobility

I firmly believe that the right thing happened when Edward abdicated but I don't think that the Yorks were as hapless as some may think. Edward not inviting the Archbishop of Canterbury to Balmoral was a slight against the Archbishop, but the Yorks then inviting him to Birkhall could be seen as a slight against the King.

IMO Edward was shady for pleading poverty and not disclosing that he had accumulated wealth as the Duke of Cornwall, but I don't think that he was unreasonable to want to be compensated for turning over Balmoral and Sandringham to his brother. Also even though Edward inherited Balmoral and Sandringham, George V did not bequeath any of his personal fortune to Edward but he did leave money/assets to Bertie/George VI and presumably his other children.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Leaving money/assets to the younger children but not the heir is actually fairly common within the BRF.

The heir automatically gets a lot - in fact the vast majority of everything goes to the heir. Sandringham and Balmoral, the palaces and castles, the royal collection, the income from the Duchy of Lancaster, even possibly still the income from the Duchy of Cornwall (which Edward would have kept as King, having no son).

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson